What was good in the Pioneer CS-XXXX speaker line?

Funny how this thread reappeared the very day I hooked up my new (to me) cs63dx speakers. They are in the basement matched up with a Pioneer sx-650. In the same room are hpm1500s and an sx-1250. Different sound but the 63s are nice in their own way. I can't get over how much I like the way they look.

That's the fine-furniture look. I was and am a sucker for that look, and I still think the classic CS speaker systems sound good. The midrange and treble are excellent. Yes, the bass isn't as deep as they look like they should manage, but that was the typical "Japanese sound" in the early 70s.

I just got a pair of CS-E320 (1972/75) speakers ( thread here : http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112188).
Its my first pair of infinite baffle speakers as i ve always had ported speakers (mostly 3 ways) and i must say i like them...Sound is more natural and bass is richer but got less "kick"....,much more suited for Pink Floyd than Electro house, thats sure.. Plus they are in nice real wood and of a nice size....
Just my 2 cents
Federico

Attachments

• IMG_0476 (3 of 3).jpg
    IMG_0476 (3 of 3).jpg
    117 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0478 (1 of 3).jpg
    IMG_0478 (1 of 3).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I have a pair of CS 77a's. Don't like them. They sound muddy to me. I much prefer the HPM's . My HPM 60's, and 700's are much better.

miklemke said:
I have a pair of CS 77a's. Don't like them. They sound muddy to me. I much prefer the HPM's . My HPM 60's, and 700's are much better.

I have to agree with the 77's.. they aren't a really bright speaker. I know if I put a set of caps in mine, it would help them I'm sure, but with what I am using now, it just isn't worth the effort to me.. Maybe some day..

I aquired a pair of the CS-99 speakers and they sound quite decent, even with the midrange driver totally rotted! I would love to hear these old butes with re-foamed mids or replacements. ...The only problem is i can't find any solution for my problem): They look near mint. Wood is damn near perfect. Never seen wood shine like the cabinets for these CS-99's. One day i'll find a solution to the midrange rott problem.. Anybody ever have this exact problem, and was a solution ever found?

I have a pair of CS88As...

Had the same problem. Apparently this is common to this line of speaker systems. I found a shop in Dallas TX that replaced the Mids completely. Freeman-Tuell Speaker Repair 214-324-1132. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the # wildturkey, i'll give them a ring. Hopefully they can send me out the replacements.. Just now remembered about a somewhat local business in Orange County. Orange County Speaker repair. I'm gonna try them first. They had some replacement foam surrounds for some hard to find Tannoy speakers i have, maybe they'll have some for my Cs-99's. But if not, its great to have a "plan B". Thanks again for the input:)

You are welcome

As I recall, they kept my speakers for about a month before they repaired them. So I am sure they had to order the replacement mids from somewhere else. The speakers sound great though. Good luck!

Here my "new" CS-88A. Look like new.
But they don´t sound good enough for me, in comparison to any HPM , S-1010 or DSS-9. There is no deep bass, treble has to forced by the amplifier :no:

im002426cj7.jpg

But they don´t sound good enough for me, in comparison to any HPM , S-1010 or DSS-9. There is no deep bass, treble has to forced by the amplifier :no:

im002426cj7.jpg

Oh my Lord! that's a beautiful picture...do you have any more?

In case you didn't read it in the other thread, I was particularly fond of a pair of CS-905's I bought overseas 83/84 At an Army PX with am Yamaha M-70 amp. You could pick them both up on the Bay for about $600 to $700 total.

I really like the CS-703's and 903's. I have two 703's, and they have great bass. That big fifteen inch woofer is great. I wish I had the 903's though, just have another super tweeter.

im002426cj7.jpg

I use a pair of CS-88a's for outside party's and have had good luck with mine. I've tried other speakers, some larger but for some reason these have always sounded the best. Way more bass than you would expect from a 12" woofer, especially using them outside. Awesome overall sound. I set them next to the house right on the ground and run the speaker wires out one of my windows. I power them with my SX-1250. I've had a lot of positive comments on their nice sound and that's before everyone started drinking. :yes:

I really like the CS-703's and 903's. I have two 703's, and they have great bass. That big fifteen inch woofer is great. I wish I had the 903's though, just have another super tweeter.

I really like my CS 903's... Good bass, very clean crisp highs.

Not to be nitpicker... but they have a 15 3/4 inch woofer. :D

Really? I did not know that. The only prob I have with mine are that they are too close to my CD changer and the bass makes it skip around alot. I always have to be fiddiling with the EQ trying to get the bass down.

Really? I did not know that. The only prob I have with mine are that they are too close to my CD changer and the bass makes it skip around alot. I always have to be fiddiling with the EQ trying to get the bass down.

Yes, at least Pioneer listed them that way in the specifications sheets.

Here's a cutaway of 903's, 803's, and 703's spec sheets from a sales booklet to look at. I have the whole 16 page booklet, but can't post any of the pages full size because of the file size restrictions on the board. This way you'll have all of the specs, which are pretty impressive.

20 Hz lows, It might effect your CD changer...

Attachments

• cs 903-703specs.jpg
    cs 903-703specs.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 226
I was just given a pair of CS-V910's with the CP-920 pedestals.The gentleman that gave them to me said they were given to him as a gift and that they were $1200 for the pair in 1987. Any truth to that? (price) They weigh at least 70 or 80 #s and the peds weigh about 20 themselves.
I am a noob by the way. Sorry if i'm thread hijacking.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom