What was the best receiver turntable all in one system?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by jim t, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Rockyhill

Rockyhill No marigolds in the promised land Subscriber

As a teen we had this Fisher late 60's. I think the bundled speakers were the shortcoming in the system as I reflect back on it now. Back then we just cranked it up!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Jayrosc

Jayrosc Super Member

here's mine. amazing sound. I had the turntable restored a couple years ago and put a grado black on it. Only 20 wpc but with sensitive speakers from the same era it works great.

Attached Files:

3. audiojones

audiojones Jonesin' for audio Subscriber

Old thread I know but nobody mentioned the Pioneer units from the early and mid 70's. They had decent "S" armed Pioneer semi-automatic turntables on top and some of them had separate power amps built in to each speaker (you had to use their special connecting cord of course).

Of course the usual suspects have already been mentioned - HH Scott, Harman Kardon, KLH, Benjamin Miracord, Marantz, Fisher, Realistic, Altec Lansing, Dual, Grundig, and even Heathkit (they had one that you could assemble yourself as a kit or buy pre-assembled). There were others too, many manufacturers in the receiver biz offered one as they gained popularity in the late 60's.

I think the top model Scott was one of the best ones but it was pretty pricey. The KLH Model Twenty (while still $400 in 1968 dollars) was a check rated best buy according to Consumers Union. I had a Model Twenty system with its original speakers for years and I loved it. Couldn't believe the great sound quality coming out of that unit!

Jay that's a beauty, they'll never make things that nice again!

4. Mr.White

Mr.White Super Member

Today someone offered me [for free] a Fisher receiver with built in cassette deck. It had two large bookshelf speakers, about the same size as my JBL L19s. It looked to be from the 1970's. Is there any chance that this could be even remotely listenable? Thing is it was super-duper clean. But I didn't want to take up space if it's junk. I told the fellow to offer it to others but if nobody wants it then let me know and I'll throw it in my storage unit.

electronjohn likes this.
  5. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Here's the best one that I ever brought home. I also had a very nice Kenwood unit, one from KLH and an early Fisher unit came home with me a while back to.

Sony all in one 001.jpg

Ds2000, electronjohn and doctor fuse like this.
  6. orsen

orsen just another old cheapskate that likes audio Subscriber

superscope/marantz

not rare cause i've had a couple of them

hqdefault.jpg

7. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

I’ve got a Sounddesign all in one that belongs to a friend. It’s a receiver, TT, plus 8 track. I need a complete board for it. If ever any one sees one let me know

8. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Super Member

Didn't get to hear the "high end" ones so much, but for what I did hear was Panasonic, Thrusters and all.

9. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

Here's one I always liked.

Marantz model 25.jpg

10. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

That Marantz looks like the real deal!

The others in this thread look pretty decent too. :bigok:

Bruno Primas likes this.
  11. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton AK Subscriber Subscriber

Back in the late 60's, early 70's Radio Shack had a couple units that were pretty expensive and near TOTL...I think one was called an MC-3000...one of the two, we were advised, wad "unservicable" if returned..

12. Vinylcafe

Vinylcafe Linvin' the Dream

Dual HS 152
    I got one for my daughter for her dorm in Fist Year.
    She still has it.
    Has a turntable out, tape in/out, etc.
    However, used DIN plugs

dual-hs152.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Ds2000 likes this.
  13. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock Subscriber

14. bang and olafsen have had quite a few.

15. Gnesen

Gnesen AK Subscriber Subscriber

Speakers included...

[​IMG]

16. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

The KLH twenty was the nicest I've heard. PITA to work on but worth it I think.

17. tanker 200

tanker 200 Well-Known Member

I have a Fisher 125 receiver/turntable combo, It originally had XP-55 speakers but I'm using XP-1's with it, It has a nice sound. They also made a FM only and one with a cassette deck

[​IMG]
    internet picture

Ds2000 and electronjohn like this.
  18. lbls1

lbls1 Active Member

I liked these units from the late 70's, I remember them well. They were great to my untrained ears during that period, but my dad was a serious hi fi'er, and I quickly grew away from those multiplex systems. I always wanted one in the back of my mind for some music entertainment in either my garage or bedroom. I could never force myself to buying one, though. I'm very attuned to high quality sound and music power, so anything less I just wouldn't be able to tolerate. I once bought one of those vintage music boxes with the wood finish and the Crosley plastic turntable, but quickly returned it because of its subpar quality and performance.

19. mfrench

mfrench AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bogen-Presto Lenco B51
    mine was $15
    IMG_0134JPG.jpg IMG_0135JPG.jpg IMG_0136JPG.jpg IMG_0140JPG.jpg

It sort of morphed though,...
    IMG_1209JPG.jpg

Hull Rust likes this.
  20. Dazaa

Dazaa Well-Known Member

Yamaha, Pioneer, Aiwa and Akai all made really nice units that make most of the stuff posted here look like botl junk in comparison. I once had an Akai "music center" that weighed a ton, had a solid aluminium faceplate, a really nice TT (not a changer, but the same unit they also sold as a stand alone hifi TT) and you could tell it was a really high quality unit. Unfortunately there is absolutely no market for them (apart from the Pioneer and Yamahas which are rare and go for a few hundred) The aiwas and Akais are worth nothing depsite being, in my opinion just as good as the midfi seperates of the era. The national panasonic and hitachi things are horrible in comparison and I've left plenty to be crushed at the recyclers