What was the first car you bought with your own money?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Not a hand me down, or driving dads car. But the first one you actually laid out all the cash for.

Me?

1978 Trans Am. White on red. Ws6/W72. Still miss that car!

1978transamsurvivor1108.jpg

Mine was a 65 Pontiac Pariesienne pretty much identical to this one other than the wheels and tires. Paid $740 Canadian for it in the summer of 77. It had a 283/Powerglide and was a very nice cruiser. Lent it to a buddy and he totaled it.:sigh:

p1000110.jpg

1963 Buick Special.....4 door. Cost me $80.00, made in two payments. Had to remove 2 bails of straw from inside the car when I bought it. It was white but you couldn't tell by the amount of dirt on it. Washed it with S.O.S. pads to get it clean. It had been sitting on a farm for years. It ran for about a year before the tranny went. Had an aluminum block V6 in it, I think I got more for it at the junk yard than I originally paid!

Attachments

• 166668_10989166_1963_Buick_Special.jpg
    166668_10989166_1963_Buick_Special.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Mine was a 75 Matador in 83... paid $500

Looked like this one only without the white stripe

BTW, how nice it's sitting next to a pacer.. LOL..

show_mat_coupe_rear.jpg

Ugh you guys suck! ;-)

My first car I bought w/my own money was my First Car....

1978 Ford LTD 4-dr. $650 in 1988. What a turd.

Blew the motor day I got it as it hit 55 MPH on the freeway.....

Two weeks later junkyard 351 installed tranny blew on my way to school.

Bah.

Glad you guys's rides are Worlds Nicer.

:)

Matt

well, when I was 14 my cousin gave me a '65 VW beetle that was not running and my dad and I rebuilt the engine and put in new floor pans. I spent my own money, earned putting up hay, on the engine and carb rebuild kits, new exhaust and a new fuel pump. I ended up selling the little 'Dub and buying a '71 Fiat 850.

I honestly can't remember if I got the Fiat before or after I bought my Pontiac Fiero... I think the Fiero came first.

In 1973 I bought a Suburban driven 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger Blue, no vinyl roof, black interior

318 CID, Auto. 32k $1500 from an old man.

It was aching for a Craig FM/8 Track on a slide mount bracket on the hump which it received :smoke:

Similar to this one.

0611_mopp_02z+1970_dodge_dart+rear_drivers_side_view.jpg

Last edited:
1967 Impala station wagon. Was working as an auto mechanic. Needed a car and put the word out. Lady who brought her Toyota in for brakes mentioned she had the Impala for sale, fairly cheap. I wasn't interested but she insisted it was nice and even brought it over to the shop to show me. What a beauty! Wonderful shape, and had the 275 HP - 327 motor in it backed with a turbo 400 tranny and HD air conditioning. I made her an offer and bought it on the spot ! Drove the hell out of it till the body rusted to pieces. The 327 (after a rebuild in 1981) still lives on in my 65 Chevelle !

1996 pontiac grand am... in 1999. 6 grand cash. I saved up for a year but seemed forever.

At 15 years old for 75.00 a great running 1965 two door Mercury Marauder with a 390 V8 and huge Harley Davidson wings all sun burned by the years on the back window. That was back in 1976.

'63 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe in 1977. $100, complete with Fred Flintstone floors, parts of the frame missing in the rear, a bashed-in right door, 283 w/Powerglide, and 118k on the clock. A real piece of junk. I still miss it.
Black just like this one (attractive hood ornament not included)
b06859c1d00ae4889893906e428.jpg

Last edited:
When I started college my dad gave me a 1980 AMC Spirit (Pinto-like thing). After a year I couldn't take it anymore and traded it in. I got $250 for it toward a 1981 Jeep CJ7. I loved that Jeep. It had a 151ci 4cyl engine with a 4-speed manual. After a few years of owning it the interstate speed limits went up from 55 and the Jeep wouldn't make the speed limit anymore. :)

A brand new 1989 Ford Mustang while I was stationed in Charleston SC while in the Navy. Unfortunately the 2.3 litre model which was most uncool. It did look nice and got excellent gas mileage although the car was too heavy for that weak engine...hills would really slow it down and you had to be careful passing other cars. I totaled it one morning in 1992 on the way to the Abraham Lincoln when I was stationed in Alameda. I could afford the 5.0 but not the insurance that went with it back then.

Back
Top Bottom