What was the first car you bought with your own money?

--snip-- Man would that thing lay a great patch.--snip--

Wow... Not sure I've heard that expression in 35-40 years. Nice car. 383? Auto or 4 speed?

The friend I bought my '62 Impala convertible from (see post #119) had just bought one of those- same color- I love it! :yes:

It was a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. The height of the American muscle car era.
Man would that thing lay a great patch.
Funny ... things haven't changed much,
... on occasion I still lay a few.
roadrunner4.jpg

Wow, ponder!

That is some nice MOPAR muscle there...

Sure do miss my Coronet 500! :tears:

Rome

Wow... Not sure I've heard that expression in 35-40 years. Nice car. 383? Auto or 4 speed?

The friend I bought my '62 Impala convertible from (see post #119) had just bought one of those- same color- I love it! :yes:

It was a 383 automatic and it happily took everything a stupid teenager ( ahem, me) threw at it. BTW I have fond memories of those Impala's 'cause Granddad always had one. Don't see too many on the road anymore. Hope yours will be one. Happy motoring. Mike

Wow, ponder!

That is some nice MOPAR muscle there...

Sure do miss my Coronet 500! :tears:

Rome

Thanks. One of my buddies bought a black '67 Coronet 383 ragtop and he could run door handle to door handle with me. Pretty car.

A '62 Impala in '74 for $15. It had a strong 283, 3 on the floor, dual exhaust and bad rings. The blue smoke would just pour out the back of the car. While driving along and looking in the rear view mirror it looked like you were driving down a gravel road! It got 8 miles to the gallon and 100 miles to a quart (of oil).

It had a hard life. It threw a rod a year later and I sold it for $15. :smoke:

197405-5632My62Impala.jpg

The first car I bought with my own money had bad rings too. It was a '76 Dodge Colt and I bought it and a parts car from a friend's brother for $1 in 2000.

Not a hand me down, or driving dads car. But the first one you actually laid out all the cash for.

Me?

1978 Trans Am. White on red. Ws6/W72. Still miss that car!

When I was 15 my dad told me that I had better get a job and start saving up for a car because he sure was not going to buy me one. I mowed lawns, worked in a pet store, worked in a hospital kitchen and saved every penny I made.

Just short of my 16th birthday I found the car I wanted AND I could afford the $200 it cost. My dad was not all that pleased with my choice as it had been burned in a fire and was a real mess BUT he and I spend the better part of 2 years doing a body off restoration on "my car"

My first car was a 1957 Jaguar XK-140 roadster. Open cockpit, wire wheels and more horse power than a 17 year old should ever be allowed to handle. My senior year in high school I drove a show room condition 2 seat open cockpit sports car that would do 140 mph without breaking a sweat AND I lived to tell all of you about it too :yes:

This is one of a few pics I have left that I took during the restoration with most of it in primer. It has been almost half a century ago now and many of the photos are never to be found again but the memories of my father and I rebuilding this car will live with me until I die.

xk-140_work1.jpg

When I was 15 my dad told me that I had better get a job and start saving up for a car because he sure was not going to buy me one. I mowed lawns, worked in a pet store, worked in a hospital kitchen and saved every penny I made.

Just short of my 16th birthday I found the car I wanted AND I could afford the $200 it cost. My dad was not all that pleased with my choice as it had been burned in a fire and was a real mess BUT he and I spend the better part of 2 years doing a body off restoration on "my car"

My first car was a 1957 Jaguar XK-140 roadster. Open cockpit, wire wheels and more horse power than a 17 year old should ever be allowed to handle. My senior year in high school I drove a show room condition 2 seat open cockpit sports car that would do 140 mph without breaking a sweat AND I lived to tell all of you about it too :yes:

This is one of a few pics I have left that I took during the restoration with most of it in primer. It has been almost half a century ago now and many of the photos are never to be found again but the memories of my father and I rebuilding this car will live with me until I die.

xk-140_work1.jpg

Great story... great car!

Great story... great car!

You think that one was a good story you should read this one about how I got my double pair of 9s :D

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2236760#post2236760

I grew up in L.A. in the 60's and there were a LOT of great cars to be had back then. :yes:

Last edited:
56 caddi......

hearst! i was 17 and me and my brother and friends had lots of fun. being hippies the local narcs and cops were very curious, kept pulling us over and searching inside.
ps-if someone can google pic and post or paste, would be greatly appreciated. i'm trying but can't seen to be able to.

66' Dodge Polara,4 door, 300.00 bought in from neighbor, sat 9 high school kids comfortably. though I was on my Dads insurance and it 1973, I was paying 90.00 a year. I guess it was because it was a 4 door. That thing was a beast!

Attachments

• polara.jpg
    polara.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 4
hearst! i was 17 and me and my brother and friends had lots of fun. being hippies the local narcs and cops were very curious, kept pulling us over and searching inside.
ps-if someone can google pic and post or paste, would be greatly appreciated. i'm trying but can't seen to be able to.

Something like this?

2951217961_60e2cddd16.jpg

yea, that's it. the rollers were taken out and bench seat added. had a power glide radio, very high tech for it's time. the top was black but the body was silver. brings back memories. thanks for posting.

yea, that's it. the rollers were taken out and bench seat added. had a power glide radio, very high tech for it's time. the top was black but the body was silver. brings back memories. thanks for posting.

I've heard of a Wonderbar radio and a Powerglide transmission but never a Powerglide radio???

1984 Chrysler New Yorker. Very comfortable car, but what a piece of crap from a reliability standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom