what was the first cd you bought?

opt80

Subscriber
Mine was Neil Diamond'sGreatest Hits. in 1989.I was vinyl and cassette up 'til then

Alan

Van Halen 5150
Joe Satriani Surfing with the Alien

Bought in 1989 to run on a Technics CD player (circa 1986)

Up until that point, like opt80, was a cassette & vinyl guy. My stereo was stolen along with my vinyl and casettes about that time.

g

im not 100% sure on this.but i think it was a beach Boys greatest hits that i got with my first boombox. I do remember one of the first cds i bought was the soundtrack to "Friday" :dunno: :puke: :confused: :rolleyes:

Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Soon followed by Roger Waters - Radio Kaos which smoked the Floyd CD... IMHO.

Moon

Uh Oh...here he goes again.....

Europe 72

I know, I know.......I'm stuck in the 60's.

Mr. Natural

hey.......ET is on....gotta go!

Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation two-fer from Rykodisc. I bought it to go with the cd player I had bought a year before it. It was an ADC 16/1, and it sat in a closet for a year (aging) before getting un-boxed. 1986.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

Last edited:
First Album

My 1st album was "James Gang Rides Again" a live album, bought in '70. I think my 1st 45 [remember those] was "Light my Fire" by The Doors in the Summer of '67, when we lived in L.A.

MikE

Bought my first CD player and first CD same day in summer 1986.
KISS 'Lick It Up'
The only CD I had for a year! Must have listened to it a million times.Still got that very same one.
:rockon: :guitar:

The very first compact disc that I purchased (sometime in the early '80s) was a Japanese pressing of the Beatles' "Abbey Road". I sure wish that some jerkoff hadn't stolen it from my dorm room when I was an undergraduate, as it sure seemed to sound quite nice at the time - and I'd love to be able to compare it now to the crappy-sounding current-production "Abbey Road" CD.

Think I bought, Sex Pistols, Never mind the Bullocks and Bob Marley, Legend at the same time as my first CD purchase. Then joined Colubia House and got a bunch of the free ones. Followed buy going to pawn shops and picking up tons of used ones for a couple bucks. I switched over in 89, with a junk Technics Rack system I bought from one of those, big stereo shows held in a arena. What a mistake.

As far as Vinyl goes. I use to pick up used records, from garage sales, on garbage day, or from the used section at the record store. The first LP I remember as being mine, was Meet the Beatles, think I garbage picked that one. The first new record I remember buying was Ted Nugent, double Live Gonzo.

What goes around, comes around. I haven't bought a new CD in a couple of years, and with the lack of new Vinyl releases I've resorted back to garbage picking, garage sales and second hand record stores.

X

The first for me was Hendrix Smash hits. The only reason I bought this CD was for the Bonus track that at the time the CD was release was not available on Vinyl. What a freaking horrendous sounding Cd that was. I think I also bought Stevie Ray's Live alive since again at that time it could not be found on vinyl. It wasn't a bad sounding CD. I lusted for Live alive on vinyl and just scored it on 180 Gram vinyl just the other day. Unfortunately its as bright sounding as the CD. Hmm wonder if this has to do with that dreaded Digital remastering !

The Piece of vinyl that stole my cherry was Kiss Hotter then hell. I remember saving up all my pennies for weeks to buy that LP. Yeah I was a member of the kiss army. Anyone remember getting cool stuff like kick ass looking stickers, posters or even tattoo's with you Lp's. Whens the last time you got anything cool with a CeeDee sides the added value of an extra drink coaster :p:

First CD was Alan Parsons Project "Ammonia Avenue", ca. 1985

First vinyl LP was Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", ca. 1975

Neither of which I still own. . .:screwy:

My 1st cd was "Thriller":rolleyes:

My 1st cd player was a Sony CDP-101 (the 1st commercially available model in the U.S. I believe).

I still have the cd which seldom if ever gets played now, the player has long since died.

although the query was 'what was your first cd?', i will go ahead and say that my first LP was "King of the Surf Guitar" by Dick Dale and the Deltones. i played it as loud as the Magnavox portable tube type all in one hi-fi could stand in about 1963, pre- Beatles, pre-british invasion.

thirty years later, the first CD was 'Adventures in Ambience', a Caroline compilation which featured Future Sounds of London and so on....it was an electro-chill out record from back in the early days, and i'd already been tuned in to ambient from years of being a Brian Eno fan, a condition which has not changed at all over the last two and a half decades.

any other ambient/eno/electronica types out there?

shrinkboy

Back
Top Bottom