What was the last movie you watched?

Thomas Mann's novel was required reading in one of my Lit classes back in college. Great book, but the protagonist's obsession was.... creepy.
I never read the book, I do agree with his obsession being creepy.

Great movie, though. I really felt sorry for him near the end.

I recently watched an interview with Ingmar Bergman about his film Cries and Whispers. I found it fascinating and deeply moving as Bergman gives us a glimpse into his creative process. When the film was released, many of the original French critics for Cahiers du Cinéma, like Jean-Luc Godard, mentioned the powerful affect of the director's use of colors, especially red and white. During the interview, Bergman said he had a vivid dream that was predominately in red. After several repetitions of the dream, he knew it was time to make a film.

At this point, I can't help straying to Herman Melville's novel, Moby-Dick. I respectfully ask readers without interest in this topic to indulge me, or just skip it. There's a passage near the opening of Moby-Dick where the protagonist, 'Ishmael,' has a powerful feeling that I can only describe as a mixture of depression and violent desperation. He knew from this feeling that it was time for him to go to sea. In psychological terms, going to sea represents a return to the unconscious. Jungian theory states that this inward journey is necessary for spiritual renewal and rebirth.

In a similar sense, Bergman's dream was a signal to begin creating by going inward to explore his dream's meaning. He needed to explore his unconscious mind for material that he could mould into art--no easy task. Another fascinating comment in the interview was Bergman's description of how the title came about. He was speaking to a friend about a beautiful piece of music by Mozart. He friend said it sounded like cries and whispers. Then, Bergman went into the close relationship between film and music. He even went so far as to assert that they're one and the same! I never heard a creative film director make such a bold, unorthodox statement. At that point, I realized that Bergman was a genius and probably a mystic.

I saw Cries and Whispers at a movie theater when I was in my 20s. I found the movie to be so filled with pain, that I've been afraid to watch it again. A college professor friend of mine told me that he couldn't watch Bergman at all. He found him too depressing. I once read that the poet John Keats couldn't read Shakespeare's King Lear a second time. It just caused him too much pain.

Perhaps I should watch Cries and Whispers again. I feel like a completely different person from that 20 something young man.

Do it!

I found "Gone With The Wind" in the same way. Just didn't want to see it. But after I did, second time round...the experience was much different.

Q

My wife and I watched the movie version of "Dead Like Me" the other day, after enjoying the two-season series. Maybe we expected/hoped for a "Firefly/Serenity" thing, but the movie was a let down. The wonderful waffle haus scenes were gone, as was der waffle haus, as was Mandy Patinkin.

"Oblivion" with Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and a couple of girls. Not much of a movie except for some nice effects. Skip this one.

"Collateral" (2004) A tense crime drama, in which professional killer Vincent (Tom Cruise) hires cabbie Max (Jamie Fox) to drive him around LA for the night, while Vincent conducts his business. What Max soon learns is that this "business" consists of wrapping up five separate hits in one night. Cruise is well-cast, and completely believable in his role as a cold-blooded killer. Max is able to maintain his composure through all the chaos, proving that a cool head will usually prevail when things get rough.
2 snaps up !

The Hateful Eight ...
beautiful scenery shot lovingly with incredible widescreen lenses ...
and Ennio Morricone soundtrack; Kurt Russel, Samuel L Jackson, and an amazing cast ...
but a sad miscogynistic splatter film - typical Terantino!

Last edited:
Took in my first movie on NETFLIX..."Siege at Jadotville" (2016).

Action takes place back in the early '60's wherein a small contingent of Irish army types get their first taste/test of battle trying to hold on to a no account outpost that the rest of the world has forgotten.

Lots of action. No dramatics, as all want to live. No heroics, just what it takes to survive. Shows how non military types have no idea how to deploy with lives on the line.

Time flies while viewing this gripping war story based on a the real deal.

Thumbs up...at least a 4 outta 5.

Q

Gold - it was OK, a bit 'meh' if I'm honest. I've really enjoyed Matthew Mcconaughey movies recently and he did give a great performance again in Gold, but I just felt the whole thing was lacking in something. Enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge, Arrival and Passengers much more. Lion coming up next :)

The Hateful Eight ...
beautiful scenery shot lovingly with incredible widescreen lenses ...
and Ennio Morricone soundtrack; Kurt Russel, Samuel L Jackson, and an amazing cast ...
but a sad miscogynistic splatter film - typical Terantino!
Splatter yes of course it's Tarantino after all. Not sure the typical miscogynistic label applies to this one though. Just the one female in the cast and she wasn't exactly a nice girl from a good family. Agreed she wasn't treated well. Tarantino treats many of his female characters well and they often prevail - e.g. Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds, True Romance come to mind. Even his own Mr Brown character in Reservoir Dogs took shit from everybody for not tipping the waitress.

I reckon thats why its called The hateful 8 - not a one of them wuz nice folk, so they wuz all gonna die.

Well, that and it's his 8th film (grin) ... and why I said "splatter film - typical Terantino!"

But the Bride wasn't misogynistic - she kicked ass! So did Jackie Brown ...

Splatter yes of course it's Tarantino after all. Not sure the typical miscogynistic label applies to this one though. Just the one female in the cast and she wasn't exactly a nice girl from a good family. Agreed she wasn't treated well. Tarantino treats many of his female characters well and they often prevail - e.g. Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds, True Romance come to mind. Even his own Mr Brown character in Reservoir Dogs took shit from everybody for not tipping the waitress.

I'm watching Fargo at the moment. Cohen Brothers can somehow mix the sinister with the humorous.

This is about the sixth time I've seen it and it still brings howls of disbelief

Back
Top Bottom