What was the last movie you watched?

"Once Upon a Time in the West"..........10 stars, arguably the greatest Western ever made. A movie that requires multiple viewings. Like all Great Human Endeavors, the Mind needs time to breathe it all in.

I know how pretentious I sound, but movies, music, audiophile quality equipment, literature, etc share these traits.
I never really cared for Charles Bronson but loved him in this movie.

Doctor Strange - Big fun with a classic Marvel Comic character I grew up with in the 60s
(my cousin Denny's comic books in Bentleyville, PA - near Pittsburg)
Nicely done and not too long (which some comic movies have gone that way ...)

And last week, we watched the original High Noon ...
the theme music just about drove us crazy (way overused)
but an impressive film for the time ... 1952.

Last edited:
T2 Trainspotting
An excellent follow up to the original from 21 years ago. If you haven't seen the original, do so before seeing this. If you did see the original and did not like it then don't bother with the sequel, you won't like it either.

Looking back at my recent borrowing history at our most excellent local library:

Romper stomper: early 90's australian film that put Russell Crowe on the map there and in Europe. about a group of skinheads, its an independent film with tons of energy from the young cast, commentary track revealed how wild they really were: 3 :thmbsp:

Lost in translation: I avoided this for years due to the fear of it being too awkward, pretentious, or something:dunno: But it's really a very good movie about "normal" people in a strange environment making the best of it, Bill Murray still manages to be funny in spots 3 1/2 :thmbsp:

Narc: Ray Liotta is outstanding as usual as is Jason Patric. This is another independent film that managed to rise above its budget, very good and gritty. 3 :thmbsp:

The three musketeers [1974] ; [DVD] The four musketeers [1975]: Liked the first one best, lots of humor and they manage to stay true to the spirit of the book at least part of the time. Raquel Welch and Faye Dunaway in medieval French attire helps. 3 :thmbsp:

Spider: Cronenberg film starring Ralph Fiennes; most would probably check out of this one early on, very slow and quiet really but I loved it: 3 1/2 :thmbsp:

The Harry Potter movies! Hadn't seen any of those until recently, now I'm all caught up. Not a bad one in the lot, the 3rd is probably my fave, than the 2nd, 1st, 4th.

I just got the four "Potter" movies which came out in 4K, so far they are magnificent

Yep, he was born to play that role. IMO, Leone was one of The very best when it came to casting actors for his movies. When it came to finding the extras and supporting cast, I can't think of anyone better.

All too many movies are bombs due to producers cutting costs with inferior writers and NO supporting actors (plus, many directors don't know how to get the most out of the talent afforded them). Of course, when CGIs are overused, either the budget is burned up, or the Young "target audience" doesn't notice of care.....

Moonlight.

I still think LLL was more deserving of Best Picture, for pure entertainment value, but I can see why this won. I'll watch LLL again any time. Once was enough for Moonlight.

"The Insider" with Russell Crowe as a tobacco-industry whistle-blower, Al Pacino as a "60 Minutes" producer and Christopher Plummer as Mike Wallace. Crowe was great, though the film was a bit long.

Moonlight.

I still think LLL was more deserving of Best Picture, for pure entertainment value, but I can see why this won. I'll watch LLL again any time. Once was enough for Moonlight.
The first and second acts were good but I though the third act dragged.

NXNW. What great fun, especially on the big screen, and especially the final scene on Mt. Rushmore. Yes, the whole story is contrived, but we're in on it for the thrill ride Hitchcock provides with such skill. Some racy dialog for 1959.

Moonlight.

We all know why this movie won, and it has nothing to do with being the best movie. Lion was way better.

Patriot's Day - This was a well done movie of all the events before, during, and after the Boston Marathon Bombing. Tastefully done as best as could be in light of the horrific events, injuries, and deaths. I do question some of the events in the movie as per the time when they caught the older brother and the younger one got away. I don't recall the news reporting all the extra bombs and the blowing up of 5 or 6 cop cars so I am assuming it was fluff for the movie, or it was blocked from the media. At 2:15 long, it keeps your attention all the way thru.

"The Town" (2010) Written, directed, and starring Ben Affleck, also starring Rebecca Hall, John Hamm, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively, Titus Welliver.
A tense crime drama set in Boston, where Affleck plays Doug McCray, leader of a criminal gang. Doug finds himself pulled in a different direction after falling for a bank manager he meets during one of the crew`s robberies. This one is well done all the way through, even has a decent ending. Two snaps up !

Back
Top Bottom