What was the last movie you watched?

Schooled
A documentary on the NCAA cartel.
Some very good points made.
Though the student athlete is getting free tuition, virtually everyone else is paid BIG money: coaches, Nike, universities, etc.
That EA Sports and others can benefit from the likeness of a student in advertising w/o compensating them, is criminal.
So, yes, I think this should change but where does it end? What about the band and cheerleaders?

Saw The House yesterday. Amy Poehler & Will Ferrell. It's in wide release presently. A moderately funny dumb movie. A little too long. Jason Mantzoukas gives a very nice performance.

It also had a few "I know him/her from somewhere" moments: Allison Tohlman (Margie Solverson in Fargo) and Cedric Yarborough (Deputy S. Jones in Reno 911).

Hit the drive-in last night w/ my wife for Wonder Woman and the latest visual assault from the Transformers franchise.

Wonder Woman, OK and Transformers matched my expectations. Neither worth full price IMO so the double-feature subsidized that.

The drive-in capped off a beautiful aimless day of just driving where we wanted along the MA/RI border which was excellent overall.

http://www.mendondrivein.com

150718-Drive-in10.jpg

"The Converstion". Gene Hackman stars, directed and written by Francis Ford Coppola. Very impressive!

While The Conversation is still fresh in your mind, watch Enemy of the State with Will Smith.

Then, report back. (IMO, this is one of the best back-to-back film combos there is.)

Last night we watched Arrival [2016 - Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker]
First, the Audio assault of too loud special sounds ("musical" cues?) simulating the weird aliens ...
(if you have a great sound system, its even more intense/annoying) - note that they toned it way down later in the film.
The irregular timeline as the film progressed, the reveal near the end that turned it into a Mind-F movie, and the concluding scenes.
I'll give them credit for taking a risk with some unusual movie making techniques in a mainstream film,
but, like Interstellar, its not one of my favorite.

Now, I'm a Science fiction buff from way back, so I've read new wave short stories and novels
with unusual timelines and chronological twists, but this felt (to me) more like they were
masking a trite storyline with unusual presentation. Just my take on it.

Oh, I also didn't buy that Amy Adams' and Jeremy Renner's characters fell in love ...

Visually stunning, plodding, and generally uninteresting is my take. I felt the same about Sicario, another Denis Villeneuve outing. There is no question the man can frame a shot in most breathtaking fashion but his director chops? Not doing it for me at least. Blade Runner fans take note, he's helming the sequel. Oof!

Did you really enjoy it or are you being ironic? :biggrin:
I enjoyed it to a point. Liked the early part with the western landscapes and the hippies. Loved the bits with Jack N. Liked the music and the Marti Gras scenes. Thought the rest of the N.O. scenes were weak. Found it interesting that this movie was such an anthem for the time. I was just a young kid when this came out, and had never watched the movie straight thru until this week.

Kelly's Heroes (1970) - Short synopsis: A group of U.S. Army soldiers allow themselves to be corrupted by the greed of Kelly (played by Clint Eastwood) as they go "rogue" while battling waves of German soldiers from 30 miles behind enemy lines en route to the bank in the center of a town containing... You'll have to watch (or in 2017, simply Google) to find out.

Easy on the negative waves.

a765106e575bb8807328407f4e7edb72.jpg

I enjoyed it to a point. Liked the early part with the western landscapes and the hippies. Loved the bits with Jack N. Liked the music and the Marti Gras scenes. Thought the rest of the N.O. scenes were weak. Found it interesting that this movie was such an anthem for the time. I was just a young kid when this came out, and had never watched the movie straight thru until this week.

I watched it again recently after having seen it as a teenager when it was first released. It was quite an impactful movie in its time with some great music (Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Holy Modal Rounders, Byrds). When I lived in New Orleans in the mid 70's, I'd occasionally go up to central Louisiana (Alexandria, Marksville, New Roads, Morganza ...) for work. Once I went to Melancon's Cafe in Morganza for lunch and sat in the very booth than Fonda and Hopper sat when they flirted with the young country gals that ultimately led to their demise.

IMHO, not so much an anthem as much as (along with the infamous Altamont Music Festival) signaling the Death Of The Sixties. Things were about to change....

Did you notice a really young Dan Haggerty (Grizzly Adams) during the hippie/commune scene?

The Incident (a.k.a. El incidente)

very bizarre Twilight Zone-ish film about two groups of people who get stuck in an endless loop.
A bit tough to watch but also hard to turn off.
I won't attempt to explain it, I couldn't if I tried, it's streaming on Netflix if you want to check it out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3528756/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
We watched this LAST night - We cannot recommend it. had a simple plot they beat to death going back and forth,
heavily overacted in places, then they BEAT YOU OVER THE HEAD with the mind-FK part,
and then when it was time for credits to roll, they went through it AGAIN,
just in case you missed the linking GAAAAAHHHH!! WAY TOO LONG!
Don't even start it - because once you start it you enter the loop and will be forced to play it through ...
GAAAAAAAAhhhh - but - the payoff NEVER CAME!!

At the very end, my wife asked me "Did someone recommend this to you"
Eric you are safe, I did not giver her your name ;)

Last edited:
Cars 3
Waste of time. Very few laughs or giggles from parents or kids in the cinema.

The Prestige
Jackman and Bale
The day was saved with this mind bender.

Amazon made film - Long Strange Trip - (6 x 50 min episodes)
Very well done biopix on the history of the Grateful Dead -
pretty balanced presentation ...the joys and the excesses.

Hard to believe its nearly 22 years since Jerry died ... 8/9/95

Amazon made film - Long Strange Trip - (6 x 50 min episodes)
Very well done biopix on the history of the Grateful Dead -
pretty balanced presentation ...the joys and the excesses.

Hard to believe its nearly 22 years since Jerry died ... 8/9/95
I read the book but didn't know it had been made into a film. Thanks!

This week was about revisiting movies I'd seen before.

Firstly Lucy

Lucy_%282014_film%29_poster.jpg

I think I've enjoyed every Luc Besson movie I've seen and a good Luc Besson movie always has a car chase.

Secondly Wild Orchid

large_5mi1O14GYNPOpi6REvA5dU6HxRm.jpg

Okay this is only the second time I've watched this in 27 years. It is a turkey. Carre Otis is just gorgeous to look at. The rest....

Back
Top Bottom