What was the last movie you watched?

Thumbs up suggests approval, "Insipid" means "lacking flavor". Did you mean "inspired" or "thumbs down"?

PS, it DID make me purchase a book on Dunkirk, I should say a "Kindle edition", only $1.99. I've read countless books on The War, but never a battle specific to Dunkirk. So far, a terrific read.

Kronos (1957)

Sci-Fi film from the 50's about an Alien "Accumulator" draining the Earth of all it's energy.

This is a really good movie, marred somewhat by a few really bad (Animated) special effects, if they had spent just a bit more it could have been great.
As it is it's still very atmospheric & creepy and has a terrific "Alien", a massive energy draining machine that eats Atomic Bombs for lunch.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
MV5BMGRhOWExMjUtZTBiZS00MDUzLWE3NGMtNGFkZWFkZTVjNjA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_.jpg

Atomic Blonde.
Graphic novel screen adaptation spy thriller with the last days of the divided Germany as the setting and 80s kraut rock as the sound track. Berlin never looked seedier, or more dangerous, even under the Nazis than in this relentlessly paced narrative.
As I had lived in Germany for a few years up to 6 months prior to the fall and reunification, it had a special appeal to me.

"Phantasm" (1979)

Almost forgot that I had this among my DVDs. Quite a cool little suspense/thriller, different from most of the slasher flicks of it`s time....lots of interesting little quirks to keep you from getting bored. Angus Scrimm (as The Tall Man) presents a truly menacing figure. Worth watching , just to see 15 year-old Mike ripping down the back roads in his older brother`s 4-speed Hemi `Cuda !

Last night, I noticed that a film called The Day the Earth Stood Still was available for streaming from my Netflix account. Directed by Robert Wise, a master craftsman, and auteur by the Cahiers definition, it is one of the most suspenseful films I've ever seen: A perfect example of what a superb director, with an excellent screen play, can do with primitive special effects. Contemporary films that rely upon special effects to compensate for an incoherent story line are abhorrent to me. The Day the Earth Stood Still will, IMHO, remain a timeless masterpiece.

Last edited:
Last night, I noticed that a film called The Day the Earth Stood Still was available for streaming from my Netflix account. Directed by Robert Wise, a master craftsman, and auteur by the Cahiers definition, it is one of the most suspenseful films I've ever seen: A perfect example of what a superb director, with an excellent screen play, can do with primitive special effects. Contemporary films that rely upon special effects to compensate for an incoherent story line are abhorrent to me. The Day the Earth Stood Still will, IMHO, remain a timeless masterpiece.

A friendly warning - stay away from the modern remake (same title) with Keanu Reeves ...

Denial

This I found to be an engaging movie. Another WWII themed movie. Based on modern day (2000) happenings. Engaging without being sentimental. Reverent without being maudlin. Touches on legality, pride, falsification, vindication and a myriad of topics. Does so with minimal cliche whilst telling a very good story. I liked it. Others might see it otherwise. Excellent cast. Excellent screenplay. Excellent directing.

iu

A friendly warning - stay away from the modern remake (same title) with Keanu Reeves ...

Thanks. I usually stay away from remakes, although these are rare cases when a director doesn't really do a remake but has a fresh vision of the original.

Baby Driver.
Really enjoyed it. Great use of music throughout the film. I'm not normally that interested in action films, but this had enough character to make it stand out and be worth watching.

Robert Wise also directed Star Trek - TMP, and Sound of Music among many others. He started as a film editor working for Orson Welles. Wise is known for NOT leaving a footprint on his movies unlike most other directors like Speilberg, Ridley Scott, The Cohen Brothers, or Quentin Tarantino. Day the Earth Stood Still was unique as Wise approached the movie as a drama, not a sci-fi movie. The news reporters etc were actual reporters of the day in DC. The TV and radio station WMAL that was shown still exists! The score was from Bernard Herrman. Herrmann chose unusual instrumentation for the film including violin, cello, and bass (all three electric), two theremin electronic instruments (played by Samuel Hoffman and Paul Shure), two Hammond organs, a large studio electric organ, three vibraphones, two glockenspiels, two pianos, two harps, three trumpets, three trombones, and four tubas. No woodwind section. Gort was played by Lock Martin who stood 7'6". The costume (there were 2-zipper up back, zipper up front) was 8'6". Lock saw out of the costume using a kind of periscope to see out of holes in Gorts chin. Mostly shot in Hollywood, the saucer was done in DC. The military equipment shown, however, came from the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment then stationed at Ft. Meade, MD., which supplied the vehicles, equipment and soldiers for the segments depicting Army operations.[16] One of the tanks in the film bears the "Brave Rifles" insignia of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. This is probably my favorite movie all time.
Klaatu barada nikto!

The other night, another Jack Lemmon classic with the gorgeous Shirley MacLaine.

Irma la Douce (1963)
Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Lou Jacobi

"Eastern Promises" (2007) Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts
Mortensen plays a Russian mobster in this dark and violent (yet intriguing) film. Watts is a midwife in current-day London, who uncovers evidence of a crime against a young girl, and becomes involved with a Russian crime family when she tries to investigate.
I have a feeling that REAL Russian gangsters probably like this film....

Back
Top Bottom