What was the last movie you watched?

Guardians Vol 2 - didn't really enjoy it. Loved the first, the second just felt too forced and formulaic. They resorted to toilet humour with references to nipples and turds which really didn't fit the movie well in my opnion. Visually stunning, although it also lacked the catchy soundtrack of the first movie and had none of that cool retro vibe that I enjoyed in the first offering. Pretty disappointed.

Robert Wise also directed Star Trek - TMP, and Sound of Music among many others. He started as a film editor working for Orson Welles. Wise is known for NOT leaving a footprint on his movies unlike most other directors like Speilberg, Ridley Scott, The Cohen Brothers, or Quentin Tarantino. Day the Earth Stood Still was unique as Wise approached the movie as a drama, not a sci-fi movie. The news reporters etc were actual reporters of the day in DC. The TV and radio station WMAL that was shown still exists! The score was from Bernard Herrman. Herrmann chose unusual instrumentation for the film including violin, cello, and bass (all three electric), two theremin electronic instruments (played by Samuel Hoffman and Paul Shure), two Hammond organs, a large studio electric organ, three vibraphones, two glockenspiels, two pianos, two harps, three trumpets, three trombones, and four tubas. No woodwind section. Gort was played by Lock Martin who stood 7'6". The costume (there were 2-zipper up back, zipper up front) was 8'6". Lock saw out of the costume using a kind of periscope to see out of holes in Gorts chin. Mostly shot in Hollywood, the saucer was done in DC. The military equipment shown, however, came from the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment then stationed at Ft. Meade, MD., which supplied the vehicles, equipment and soldiers for the segments depicting Army operations.[16] One of the tanks in the film bears the "Brave Rifles" insignia of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. This is probably my favorite movie all time.
Klaatu barada nikto!

T

u
Robert Wise also directed Star Trek - TMP, and Sound of Music among many others. He started as a film editor working for Orson Welles. Wise is known for NOT leaving a footprint on his movies unlike most other directors like Speilberg, Ridley Scott, The Cohen Brothers, or Quentin Tarantino. Day the Earth Stood Still was unique as Wise approached the movie as a drama, not a sci-fi movie. The news reporters etc were actual reporters of the day in DC. The TV and radio station WMAL that was shown still exists! The score was from Bernard Herrman. Herrmann chose unusual instrumentation for the film including violin, cello, and bass (all three electric), two theremin electronic instruments (played by Samuel Hoffman and Paul Shure), two Hammond organs, a large studio electric organ, three vibraphones, two glockenspiels, two pianos, two harps, three trumpets, three trombones, and four tubas. No woodwind section. Gort was played by Lock Martin who stood 7'6". The costume (there were 2-zipper up back, zipper up front) was 8'6". Lock saw out of the costume using a kind of periscope to see out of holes in Gorts chin. Mostly shot in Hollywood, the saucer was done in DC. The military equipment shown, however, came from the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment then stationed at Ft. Meade, MD., which supplied the vehicles, equipment and soldiers for the segments depicting Army operations.[16] One of the tanks in the film bears the "Brave Rifles" insignia of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. This is probably my favorite movie all time.
Klaatu barada nikto!

Thank you for all the interesting information about Robert Wise. I certainly will explore your linked material.

There are so many great American directors who have been forgotten. I spent years auditing film history classes and going to revival theaters in Manhattan. Some of the best experiences I had was at the Thalia Theater. That grand palace, with a widescreen, was torn
down long ago. There is nothing like experiencing a great film with a receptive audience. I remember seeing two Preston Sturges' films there--a double feature for about $5. The place was packed with an audience of diverse ethnicities. They looked like they popped in on their way home from work. After the first film started, they erupted with paroxysms of laughter that was so intense, I felt the floor vibrating. That collective experience was simply amazing. I felt a connection of joy with everyone in the theater. Sadly, most of the large movie theaters in Manhatten have been replaced by multiplex screening rooms with small screens that were formerly used for WW2 propaganda films. The few full-screen theaters show new 3d films that rely on special effects to compensate for poor screen plays. Perhaps there are other cities that have revival theaters with wide screens.

Ministry of Fear (1944) Dir. Fritz Lang.

This was excellent, Ray Milland as Stephen Neale, freshly released from an Asylum, he immediately stumbles into a Nazi Spy ring, but can he get anyone to believe him?
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ministry.jpg

Not what I expected. It was quite powerful and touching.

beatriz-at-dinner-500x688.png

"All The Way" on HBO, Brian Cranston playing Lyndon Johnson. More well done than enjoyable. In person LBJ was simply not a very likeable guy. I do think it was pretty historically accurate. Mostly about the Civil Rights struggles of 1963 and 1964.

Diving into the Unknown.
Totally engrossing, compelling doco about cave diving, and the lengths friends will go to.

Chasing Mavericks.
POS.

Muscle Beach Party (1964) Frankie & Annette in the followup to Beach Party.

The plot is silly but who cares, besides Frankie & Annette you get Dick Dale & the Del Tones, Don Rickles, Morey Amsterdam, Buddy Hackett, Peter Lupis (billed as Rock Stevens) as "Mr Galaxy" and a great musical appearance by Little Stevie Wonder. All this plus Peter Lorre as "the strongest man in the world"

Some early 60's California locations are also nice to see.

Looks really on Blu ray

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Guardians 2. I was entertained, though I'm not sure it was as good as the first. Good flick to watch to burn 2 hours on a humid / rainy night.

Ronin, with Robert DeNiro and Jean Reno directed by the late John Frankenheimer. The thinking man's action movie. i was quoting it line by line and my wife was laughing.

Back
Top Bottom