What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by outlawmws, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

I’m a new Netflix subscriber so if the movie your listing was viewed on there I’d love to know it. As you were.

tubed likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

"Bullitt" (1968)

Hadn`t watched this in a while, it never gets old. Outside of the obvious, I now look at all the smaller details within this great film....Bullitt`s very cool corner apartment, the little convenience store across the street where he stocks up on his Swanson TV dinners, the vintage advertisements for the San Francisco strip clubs of the period, all the fantastic vintage cars, that way cool avant-garde jazz group at the night club, the nice little cameo by Robert Duvall (as the cab driver), and of course, the absolutely wicked stunt driving by both McQueen and (Charger driver) Bill Hickman, who also worked similar magic in "The French Connection" and "The Seven Ups". (And for all you "detail freaks", if you pay close attention, you`ll note that much of the same car chase audio track was used in all three movies !)

tubed, the_nines, Bruins and 5 others like this.
  3. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

Mother!

What a strange story. A confusing tale by design. I was going to be slightly critical of this film due to the story. The twist at the very end saves the story. Unlike any story I have seen before. Possibly needed a stronger actress than Jennifer Lawrence.

[​IMG]

Bruins likes this.
  4. Eric H

Eric H AK Subscriber Subscriber

Armored Car Robbery (1950) Excellent Heist film with lots of period Los Angeles scenery including the exterior of Wrigley Field. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

armored-car.jpg

5. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

"The Post". Definitely worth seeing. Meryl Streep is great as Kay Graham, Tom Hanks not as good in the Ben Bradlee role.

Also "The Viceroy's House" on Netflix. Interesting history but just didn't grab me. It would surely have been better on the big screen.

electronjohn likes this.
  6. theophile

Blade Runner 2049

I'm about three quarters through this. A brooding tale of hitmen, liars, deceivers and non-truth tellers. Gosling is suitably deadpan. Engaging and I couldn't tell you why. It is fluff but watchable fluff. Don't expect a 'boiler'. Tepid it aint. It simmers along at its own pace. Worth a watch if you are patient and don't expect anything too deep. War And Peace, it aint.

[​IMG]

7. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Colossal (2016) - Anne Hathaway, Dan Stevens, Jason Sudeikis, Tim Blake Nelson. (not your usual Sudeikis comedy part!)

An odd film about alcoholics, and the lives they lead - in New York, then in a small town, and as monsters destroying Seoul ...
    I was stuck watching this - had to see where it was going to wind up - not bad, per se - just .. ... odd!
    All little snowflakes are important somehow!

8. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

Wind River ... Great character drama & story line ... unforgettable gunfight scene.

Jane Banner(FBI): Shouldn't we wait for back up?

Ben (local law): This isn't the land of waiting for back up. This is the land of you're on your own.

Taylor Sheridan just continues to hit it out of the park IMHO.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    KeninDC likes this.
  9. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Saw a semi double feature yesterday...first off to the theatre to see "The Post". A movie that couldn't be more timely. As noted above, Tom Hanks was a bit underwhelming but carried the role well. The First Lady Of American Stage And Screen was excellent as usual. Then, on the way home, hit the Redbox for "The Mountain Between Us"...which my wife realllly wanted to see. I was somewhat skeptical at first, but got drawn right in. Good popcorn flick.

10. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

The "Thin Manathon"! DVRd 'em all & watched them over a period of a few days. As noted by jimfet & maxxvolume the first two were the best of the lot. My wife loves them for the period décor and the slinky gowns by Dolly Tree & Kalloch draped over Myrna's lithe frame. Damn she was cute. I should get the DVD set so we can watch them whenever the mood strikes.

11. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

A Fistfull of Dollars (1964). I found myself waiting patiently for Sergio Leone's influential cross-cutting close-ups. Bad overdubs and plenty of over-acting, but the music, ricocheting bullets, and Clint are gold.

12. MaxxVolume

"The Bag Man" (2014)
    Crime drama, in which a killer named Jack (John Cusack) is hired by crime boss Dragna (Robert DeNiro) to retrieve a mysterious bag, and hold it for collection at a seedy motel, where Jack meets an odd assortment of residents, including a 6-foot tall hooker, and a midget pimp.
    Despite having quality actors involved, this film didn`t quite make the grade, IMHO....

13. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

"Fury". WWII tank story.

Got a lot more outta it second time around. Paid more attention to the dialogue and characters than all what goes on.

Pitt does a pretty good job, and LaBoeuf carries out the newbie role quite well. The rest of the tank crew? Well, they are just there...with their individual quirks.

The good guys win, but at a cost. Pace was fast and furious, and you had to stretch at times, but that's what happens when you are on the good guys' side, eh?

The ending...the weakest link in the chain.

Time flew quickly, which for me is a good gauge, even knowing how it's gonna end.

My take? 4 outta 5 on a good day....but I like to see the heroes win.:biggrin:

Q

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Spitfirejoe likes this.
  14. MaxxVolume

"The Man Who Wasn`t There" (2001)

A Coen Brothers film-noir presentation, nicely done in B&W, period-perfect, it takes place in the late `40s.

Billy Bob Thornton is Ed Crane, a small-town sad-sack barber who attempts to blackmail his wife`s philandering employer, to raise funds for a bogus investment scheme. Things go from bad to worse to VERY worse. Francis McDormand is Ed`s fridgid, boozing wife, James Gandolfini her employer, Jon Polito as an out-of-town con man, and a very young and lovely (but not quite so innocent) Scarlett Johansson, all take a nice turn to build this into an unusual little film. Worth watching....

Eric H, grillebilly and tubed like this.
  15. theophile

Such an original film. :thumbsup:

tubed likes this.
  16. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

Caltiki, il mostro immortale (Caltiki, the Immortal Moster) (1959) a film co-directed by Riccardo Freda and Mario Bava, starring John Merivale, Didi Perego, Gerard Herter and Giacomo Rossi. One of the best class-B science-fiction horror films of the 50's, if you ask me! The eye of the Maestro Mario Bava shows up here and there! Very entertaining movie.

[​IMG]

tubed likes this.

17. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

I haven't watched them in a while, but I've always liked the "Man With No Name" trilogy. Some of the other Spaghetti Westerns I've watched have been pretty good, too(although sometimes in a bad way:)).

tubed, KeninDC and Bill Ferris like this.
  18. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

19. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

GREAT MOVIE!

Barney

KDAC likes this.
  20. theophile

KiM3Ce likes this.