What was the last movie you watched?

Evil Dead (1981). Straightforward horror with some excellent gore. College students in a remote cabin accidentally summon evil spirits. None of the camp that later characterized the series (which is also fun). Made for just $90,000 and it made Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell sorta famous.

iu

Affairs of State (via netflix disc rental) -
I "believe" someone here had recommended it, but I sure cannot -
Storyline was slightly above the quality of a bad prono film, with no exciting images -
Handsome college grad guy joined the "United party" (some sort of 3rd party system,) doing odd jobs and
get pulled into shtupping his way into a possibility of running for office later - or something ...
poor Mimi Rogers has done so much better ... ugh!

24 Hours to Live

Action shoot 'em up of the Special Ops/ Rogue corporation variety. Like most movies where clips get emptied by the score, the heroes miraculously dodge a hundred bullets to every one which hits. Some great stunt work and photography. The director was stunt co-ordinator for some big name Hollywood films, so that explains that. Not Academy Award material but worth watching if you like action.
cineplex

A Star is Born (2018)
Great all around: acting, music, camera work. I'm buying the soundtrack, and I almost never do that.

24 Hours to Live

Action shoot 'em up of the Special Ops/ Rogue corporation variety. Like most movies where clips get emptied by the score, the heroes miraculously dodge a hundred bullets to every one which hits. Some great stunt work and photography. The director was stunt co-ordinator for some big name Hollywood films, so that explains that. Not Academy Award material but worth watching if you like action.
cineplex

And on Netflix. Bonus.

Repulsion
(Polansky, 1965)

*Oy, the shit be goin' on @ this "story" @ times makes even the characters depicted in Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960) seem almost reasonable. Wow, I do highly recommend y'all view Repulsion if you get yer mitts on a copy. Copy I have is a rip from The Criterion Collection DVD release.

"V For Vendetta" (2005)

It is different and have found there is no middle ground of appreciation on this movie. You either like it or not.

It holds a host of messages for the many who take the time to think about the premises that Alan Moore's and his novel wanted to share about our dysfunctional world and how some horrific events come about.

I liked it, but many may not! Different strokes for different folks!:dunno:

Q

Tokyo Story (東京物語 Tōkyō Monogatari) is a 1953 Japanese drama film directed by Yasujirō Ozu and starring Chishū Ryū and Chieko Higashiyama. It tells the story of an ageing couple who travel to Tokyo to visit their grown children. The film contrasts the behavior of their children, who are too busy to pay them much attention, with that of their widowed daughter-in-law, who treats them with kindness.

220px-Tokyo_Story_poster.jpg

Blair Witch Project (1998). Saw it when it came out. Scary for me. 20 years later, still scary and amazingly low budget. I hike and camp, so this one creeps me out, but I can see how some would not find it frightening at all.

It didn't scare me but it was fun. Someone a couple rows over threw up.

"A Walk Among The Tombstones" (2014)
Liam Neeson is Matt Scudder, former NYC detective, recovering alcoholic, and quasi-legal private investigator. He is pressed into service by a drug dealer whose wife has been kidnapped and murdered by a couple of psycho-types. They prove to be both slippery and resourceful, and Scudder has to employ his entire bag of tricks to track them down.
Somewhat formulaic, and seems to be typecasting Neeson as the go-to guy in revenge flicks....

Did they throw up because of the constant camera motion?

I am well and truly over found footage now. That type of movie has been done to death

Agree. Sorta started with Kubrick's Shining with one of the first uses of the "Steady Cam." Of course, Blair was the now overused digital "hand-held."

As for the Shining (movie), I'm of the mind that Jack is an insane man trying not to lose it, but the Overlook Hotel exploits his weaknesses and "absorbs" him. In the book, Jack starts sane, but goes insane. I watch The Shining every year. Love it.

Agree. Sorta started with Kubrick's Shining with one of the first uses of the "Steady Cam." Of course, Blair was the now overused digital "hand-held."

As for the Shining (movie), I'm of the mind that Jack is an insane man trying not to lose it, but the Overlook Hotel exploits his weaknesses and "absorbs" him. In the book, Jack starts sane, but goes insane. I watch The Shining every year. Love it.

I might have to have a "fresh" look @ The Shining. My issue re: this film, IIRC was Nicholson once again playing .... Nicholson. But a fresh look might result in a new appreciation of this thing?

Back
Top Bottom