What was the last movie you watched?

Nicholson once again playing .... Nicholson.

Which he does. Quite well. I think that's why Kubrick chose Nicholson, rather than De Niro (also up for the role and also known for playing some version of himself). Nicholson makes the perfect unreliable narrator to go along with the main character in the flick, the Overlook Hotel. The hotel itself is unreliable and Kubrick filmed it so that the viewer's sense of space is messed with. There are long hallways and ballrooms that simply would not have fit into the hotel which you see in establishing shots. Even Danny's journeys on his trike are meant to be non-linear, supernatural twins/daughters and blood floods aside.

I'm also a fan of Duvall's "Wendy." There's an actual subtlety to her reactive role of screaming mom. She's perfect when she suspects it was Jack who harmed Danny. Scatman's a treat too.

I find The Shining not scary at all, but fascinating nonetheless as an ambiguous descent into total madness, fueled by weakness, resentment, and alcohol. Worth another look. It's a long film that seems short based on its tight narrative.

iu

Which he does. Quite well. I think that's why Kubrick chose Nicholson, rather than De Niro (also up for the role and also known for playing some version of himself). Nicholson makes the perfect unreliable narrator to go along with the main character in the flick, the Overlook Hotel. The hotel itself is unreliable and Kubrick filmed it so that the viewer's sense of space is messed with. There are long hallways and ballrooms that simply would not have fit into the hotel which you see in establishing shots. Even Danny's journeys on his trike are meant to be non-linear, supernatural twins/daughters and blood floods aside.

I'm also a fan of Duvall's "Wendy." There's an actual subtlety to her reactive role of screaming mom. She's perfect when she suspects it was Jack who harmed Danny. Scatman's a treat too.

I find The Shining not scary at all, but fascinating nonetheless as an ambiguous descent into total madness, fueled by weakness, resentment, and alcohol. Worth another look. It's a long film that seems short based on its tight narrative.

iu

The characters played by Shelly and Scatman I recall liking quite well.

iu

Watched it last night through more experienced eyes and mind. Good stuff.

The Judge. Excellent cast, Robert Duvall, Vincent D'onofrio, Robert Downey Jr, etc. A movie that proved to me that Downey can actually act versus his Holmes and Iron Man movies. D'onofrio is good in everything in which I have seen him and Robert Duvall is probably the greatest actor of his generation. His resume is incomparable. The wife found the movie slightly uneven, but noteworthy nevertheless. I enjoyed the movie and recommend it.

I watched the meta-horror movie Cabin in the Woods (2011) and could barely make it through. Scientists manipulate a group of college students who are staying in a remote cabin in the woods. It spoofs many horror movie tropes, has some excellent actors, and eye-candy for both my wife and me, but it is neither scary nor smart. It never got going.

Loving Pablo
(DNP/Universal, 2017)

* A bit bungling, IMO, but there some awfully (emphasis on awful in the strictest sense) violent scene.

First Man. Worth seeing in the theater, don't wait to see it on your TV. Gives a good picture of how incredibly dangerous the whole space program was. My only beef is that Neil Armstrong shows little emotion through the picture; kind of like watching poker on TV :). See it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom