What was the last movie you watched?

"Heartbreakers" (2001)
Sigourney Weaver and Jennifer Love Hewitt are a mother/daughter grifter team who travel around, looking to take advantage of wealthy men. Good acting by the ladies, and also Ray Liotta. JLH is at the peak of deliciousness here....

On the Waterfront (1954)
(Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb)

An ex-prize fighter turned longshoreman struggles to stand up to his corrupt union bosses. - IMDb

Here is another movie I had never seen before. Superb acting all-around, and Brando at his best.

Extremely well-done, from the studio sets to the outdoor scenery. Whether in run-down apartment flats with only the bare essentials, to the scenes on the streets and in the back-alleys, or by the docks, grim, grey and depressing. A realistic portrayal of what the lives of the characters must have been like as they struggle day-to-day in poverty and despair and in spite of this, trying hard to make the best of their situations.

Yet another masterpiece by Elia Kazan.

Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

On the Waterfront (1954)
(Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb)

An ex-prize fighter turned longshoreman struggles to stand up to his corrupt union bosses. - IMDb

Here is another movie I had never seen before. Superb acting all-around, and Brando at his best.

Extremely well-done, from the studio sets to the outdoor scenery. Whether in run-down apartment flats with only the bare essentials, to the scenes on the streets and in the back-alleys, or by the docks, grim, grey and depressing. A realistic portrayal of what the lives of the characters must have been like as they struggle day-to-day in poverty and despair and in spite of this, trying hard to make the best of their situations.

Yet another masterpiece by Elia Kazan.

Highly recommended! :thumbsup:
“I coulda been a contender”

Watched a while ago on YooToob, just stumbled upon this cool French movie poster. Would love thus for the Man cave , but not for $3,000!

jazz-at-newport-vintage-movie-poster-original-french-1-panel-47x63-4884.jpg

Got roped into watching Mama Mia Here we go Again. I don't like most musicals besides Hair, and never liked ABBA music at all. At least the leading gal was easy on the eyes. This is another movie where the moron director has to jump the timeline every 10 minutes leaving you completely confused as to who she is sleeping with and when. She beds 3 guys the day she meets them, it was almost as good as Young & the Restless. The overall story wans't terrible, but it would have been way better just moving from point A to point B in a linear timeline. At least this one we know who the father is :)

I’ll never get those two hours back from enduring “Bird Box” with my spouse. She was even mum about it while the credits rolled.

"Be Cool" (2005)
Lightweight fun fare about ex-wiseguy Chili Palmer (John Travolta), trying to make his reputation in the L.A. record business. Great cast includes Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel, Vince Vaughn, Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson, Robert Pastorelli, Danny DeVito, Andre Benjamin, Cedric The Entertainer, and a nice cameo by Steven Tyler and Aerosmith.

Mary Poppins Returns

Emily Blunt gets an A+ in the title role. Lin-Manuel Miranda, meh, not bad, but no Dick Van Dyke. Having just watched the excellent A Very English Scandal miniseries, was very interesting to see Ben Wishaw in this very different role as Michael Banks. Another very good performance.

Unlike the original, there are no really memorable songs here, but perhaps that’s just me being an old grump. The bicycle dance sequence with the lamplighters went on WAY too long, and the chase scene in the ceramic bowl was a bit much, but overall a fun, satisfying way to spend a couple of hours on a stormy Sunday afternoon.

Mary Poppins Returns

Emily Blunt gets an A+ in the title role. Lin-Manuel Miranda, meh, not bad, but no Dick Van Dyke. Having just watched the excellent A Very English Scandal miniseries, was very interesting to see Ben Wishaw in this very different role as Michael Banks. Another very good performance.

Unlike the original, there are no really memorable songs here, but perhaps that’s just me being an old grump. The bicycle dance sequence with the lamplighters went on WAY too long, and the chase scene in the ceramic bowl was a bit much, but overall a fun, satisfying way to spend a couple of hours on a stormy Sunday afternoon.
Took our granddaughter to see poppins at the weekend and i enjoyed it and thought mostly that the songs were ok,the only thing i picked up on slightly negative was in the bicycle dance sequence were the inclusion of the bmx/mountain bike style jumps and such.over all it's done much in the same vain as the original and thought it alot of fun.
Also at the weekend we saw Green Book a true story about the relationship between pianist Dr Don Shirley and new york club bouncer Tony Lip,Lip scores a job driving Shirley on a tour of the deep south back in the early 60's.Top class performances all round and great soundtrack loved it.

Also at the weekend we saw Green Book a true story about the relationship between pianist Dr Don Shirley and new york club bouncer Tony Lip,Lip scores a job driving Shirley on a tour of the deep south back in the early 60's.Top class performances all round and great soundtrack loved it.

I'll keep an eye out for this one. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom