What was the last movie you watched?

Apollo 11 (not Apollo 13 with Tom Hanks). A pure documentary about the 1969 mission that landed the first men on the moon.

I say "pure documentary" because it's almost entirely original NASA footage, most of it in gorgeous color. There is no narration or soundtrack, just original NASA radio communication between ground and Apollo, plus a little contemporaneous Walter Cronkite audio, making it feel like you are there.

It follows the mission chronologically through its 8 days, from the hours before liftoff (Armstrong, Collins, and Aldrin look extremely tense while suiting up before being driven to the launch pad) to the weeks after splashdown.

This is not shaky handheld home video. NASA obviously realized the significance of the event and had professional cinematographers documenting the everything.

It's taut and suspenseful from start to finish, even though we all know the outcome. I was actually squirming during liftoff.

Last edited:
"The Accountant"
No, NOT the Ben Affleck actioner, I`m talking about the Ray MCKinnon 38-minute short film from 2001.
This one is a real gem, and you will probably wind up watching it more than once....it`s one of those films.
Walton Goggins makes an early appearance here.

Mention of Stanley Holloway made me think of actors with distinctive voices, like: Edward Everett Horton

I'll leave the above mistake. I actually meant to type Sterling Holloway. Stanley Holloway was the actor who played Alfred Doolittle Eliza's father in My Fair Lady "Im Getting Married In The Morning"

Last edited:
The Mule (2018) Not one of Clint's most memorable movies but well acted and worth a watch.

I found it interesting that this was inspired by a true story

the-mule-movie-cover.jpg

A Star is Born with my daughters. I plan to see Lukas Nelson up at my little ski hill tomorrow. You know he played with Bradley Cooper and advised him on the live music portions.

"Dead Man Down" (2013) Colin Farrell, Naomi Rapace, Dominic Cooper

Victor (Farrell), and Beatriz (Rapace) are strangers who watch each other from their apartment balconies. After physically meeting each other, they discover that both have a serious hunger for revenge on the people that did them wrong. As they figure out how to proceed, Beatriz becomes aware that Victor is involved with some very dangerous criminal types, and that things are building toward a violent confrontation.
Intelligent and well-written, with good acting. Two snaps up....

That is where he first came to my attention.
I heard him on Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Fractured Flickers too,
but - Lost Horizon [1937] is where I really found him!
And years later - Here Comes Mr. Jordan {later remade as Heaven Can Wait)

The Witch, a 2015 period supernatural horror film written and directed by Robert Eggers in his directorial debut. The film stars Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson, Kate Dickie, Harvey Scrimshaw, Ellie Grainger and Lucas Dawson. The Witch follows a Separatist family encountering forces of evil in the woods beyond their New England farm, forces that may be either real or imagined. (quoted from Wikipedia)
I´ve enjoyed it.

The_Witch_poster.png

"Inside Man" (2006)

Now, I`m not normally a big fan of Spike Lee films, but this is a joint of a different flavor.
It`s the story of a VERY intricately planned and well-executed bank heist, in which Clive Owen is the mastermind, Denzel is the NYPD negotiator, Jodie Foster is the well-connected fixer, and Willem Dafoe is the on-scene police administrator. Christopher Plummer as the bank`s owner/manager, who is attempting to keep a very important secret well-hidden.
This one is a little different from your average bank heist film....

Back
Top Bottom