What was the strangest or most offbeat camera you've ever owned?

My first camera was a Brownie Starmite my parents gave me. The first camera I bought for myself was the Yashica Mat 124G (because I couldn't afford a Rollei).

tumblr_inline_mw5x5affvf1qarqqa.jpg

I was a photographer for my high school newspaper and used a 124G with a Honeywell 'tater-masher' flash. It was an outstanding combo. We also had a Pentax Spotmatic with stop-down metering and a 50mm and 135mm lenses. Again, a good combo. I would not call either one unusual or offbeat. The 124G was the 'poor man's Rollei' because it handled like a Rolleiflex and had excellent optics.

My first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 990, around 2000. It had a great macro capability and being able to rotate the lens 180 degrees made a lot of closeup stuff work well. Took 4 AA batteries which it went through quite fast and had 3.2 mega pixel capability on a standard size SD card.
  • 3x Zoom-Nikkor with 8-24mm coverage (equivalent to 38-115mm in the 35mm [135] format) to create clear, sharp images, plus 4x digital zoom
  • 3.2 effective megapixels for high-definition 2,048 x 1,536-pixel images
  • Nikon's advanced image-processing algorithm has been further improved for superior picture quality
  • 7-blade iris diaphragm for precise control over aperture settings
  • Exclusive 256-segment Matrix Metering and Matrix Auto White Balance for outstanding exposure and white balance control in every image
  • 5-Area Multi AF
  • Shutter speed range from 1/1,000 to 8 seconds
  • Unique swivel design allows for a wider range of shooting angles
  • 110,000-dot low temp polysilicon TFT LCD Monitor for easy viewing
  • Compatible with a wide range of converter lenses and accessories
  • Compatible with Fisheye Converter FC-E8, Wideangle Converter WC-E63 and Telephoto Converters TC-E2 / TC-E3ED
  • Compatible with Wideangle Converter WC-E68 (requires Lens Adapter UR-E7)
  • A successor of this camera is Nikon COOLPIX 995 (2001).
    Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I'd have to say it is my first digital which was a CoolPix 995 Nikon. I remember it was tough talking my wife into spending the then $800 or so to get it. I used it long enough that she was the one who suggested it might be time to upgrade to something a little more current. Believe it or not, it was hard for me to upgrade as I'd become so accustomed to that little camera. I still have it, but don't have any good batteries for it now and it had trouble reading the card for some reason last time it was working.

Kodak Pony 828 that I got at a yard sale in the early 1970's for $1.
Pony.jpg

The only film I could get for it even back then was 8-exposure color print film that Kodak discontinued in 1985. Too bad it wasn't the Pony 135 that used 35mm film... I'd still be using it today.

Back
Top Bottom