What was your biggest score on ebay?

A Lexicon DC-1 Surround Preamp for $150 ten years ago. Now used for composite video switching only - and not often for that.

Working B&K 747 tube tester with all the original paper work for 60 bucks buy it now.

I bought a pair of original lattice grills for my Altec Segovia's for $9.99. Probably not the score many posters will be overwhelmed by, but just try to find them. It took me almost 2 years of searching Ebay before they showed up. BTW, I was the only bidder.

i got a pair B&W 685 Speakers for £30 as spares but i brought them and they were working great in mint condition now thats what i call a score

I don't often buy electronics on eBay, but I did find a set of original Technics isolation feet for my SL-220 turntable there. I also found the twin to an early 1950s Wards Airline table radio that my grandmother owned years ago. That one brought me some bittersweet memories.

Lately, non-audio, I got a brand new spare alternator for 2 of my cars for $30. Normal list price on those things is in the $150-200 range.

yeah maybe not the sexiest or coolest thing but nice in a pinch if you lose an alternator on a weekend.

Only a couple audio ones. The first was a Triad HSM-79 output transformer (SE for 2A3) to mate up to one I already had.

The other was this, a Lafayette LT-10D tuner for $50, it was ~$270 in 1974! -

index.php

From 2006 -

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lafayette-tuner-thread.73397/

The best deal audio deal was a Yamaha MX-600 amp for $250 that was in-box, sealed, never opened. This was maybe six years ago and I must have caught it the instant listed. I still use it to run a second pair of speakers on the older system.

At the time, $250 or so was likely the going price for these, although not for NOS which is beyond unusual to find.

The best overall deal was 8 sets of original color toner cartridges for a huge Dell color laser printer. Paid $300 for all and they sell at $400 for a single set of four.

I've found a ton of really good bargains on eBay although these two are at the top.

Several years ago, I was browsing Bang & Olufsen turntables on eBay for the heck of it, when I spotted a non-working Beogram 8000 listed Buy It Now for $30! They usually go for $200+. The same seller also had a Beomaster 6000 receiver listed, also non-working, for a BIN of $40. Both items were listed as local pickup only in Reading, MA, which is not too far from me, so I bought both and arranged to pick them up in the parking lot of a local mall.

Our arrangements were done using email. The seller saw the link to my website in my signature, and when I picked up the gear, he threw in a box of tubes (pulls from an organ of some sort; several 6L6Gs and 5U4Gs, plus some smaller tubes) and an old DEC HiNote Ultra laptop. All in all, I think I did pretty well for $70. :D
-Adam

Sony STR-7045. $50.

Attachments

• IMG_20160622_203531.jpg
    IMG_20160622_203531.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20160622_203444.jpg
    IMG_20160622_203444.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6
My best was probably the SL-5100 turntable I snagged for $55 shipped. A couple of reflowed solder joints and a regrease later and I had a nearly pristine example in fully working condition.

It's doing duty as a 100% mono setup in my dad's system now.

I also snagged an AT1005ii tonearm for ~$100 but it's a little cosmetically challenged. Still a deal I think but not as good as it seemed from the pics.

My best was my McIntosh C28 in great condition for 150. Listed as not working, I cleaned the controls and new bulbs and it is working great.

Probably my best catch was for a pair of cartridges. I picked up a couple of Stantons (981HZS with original D98S stylus and a 681 with a D680EEE-S stylus) for $80. If that wasn't awesome enough, they were both mounted on rare Harman Kardon headshells (the angled ones with the unique 25.5 degree offset angle). Sold the headshells for $40 each, so basically got both cartridges for free.

Not long ago I got 9 oral-b brush heads for a really good price.
In the past, once or twice I've gotten great deals on printer ink cartridges.

My best ebay price to market buy I made was for a Marantz 2600 receiver with wood case which I snagged for $2,400. Market value at the time was $4k. The seller made the mistake of ending the auction early Sunday morning when no one is on their computer. It was local pickup which helped. When I went to pick up the unit, the seller was pissed. He clearly knew what it was worth as he had a second 2600. It wasn't the anonymous score that I prefer on ebay but that's the nature of the game. I waited a couple of years and flipped it on CL of all places.

Last edited:
Not many great deals, Bin seems to work best for me. C35 for $500.00, RSIIb eq for $150.00 (not cheap but try and find one...) Adcom gfa5500 for $300.00 pretty much nib and local. No screaming deals but everything was as bescribed and being sold by seemingly honest folks. Usually find better deals local on CL...

Not many great deals, Bin seems to work best for me.

Right, same here. That's how I purchased the Stanton cartridges. Those way underpriced BIN listings are rare, but so gratifying when you come across one. It really puts the pressure on in some ways though. You want to do some due diligence first (carefully look at all pictures, look at seller feedback in detail etc.) all the while trying to ignore the message at the top of the page telling you how many times that the item has been looked at per hour! I've actually experienced an elevated heartbeat wondering if I should just grab something after just a cursory examination, before someone else has the chance.

Back
Top Bottom