What was your first, legitimate audio rig?

Originally posted by MarkD
Holman
One of the few names I have absolutely no recollection of so far... unless you count Holman Boilers.

Found some reviews at audioreview, but no Orion listings and a listing but no info on audioweb.com.

A Technics Receiver (5460 I think) purchased from the Tech Hifi Bargain Center on 8 Mile Road in Detroit in 1977. When I bought my receiver, the salesman at the bargain center was "moved" I guess, when I walked in with my dad and plunked down a bunch of paper route money to buy the receiver. He asked me what speakers I had, and I told him I didn't have any, but my older brother would let me borrow is headphones. He then walked in the back room, and came back out with a pair of banged up TDC speakers, which I think were Tech Hifi's housebrand speaker. He gave them to me for free, and I was one happy kid! I also had a Sanyo TP-626 Tuntable that my frield's older brother wanted to get rid of.

Originally posted by whell
He asked me what speakers I had, and I told him I didn't have any, He then walked in the back room, and came back out with a pair of banged up TDC speakers, He gave them to me for free,

Those are the best kind ...for a kid earning money with a paper route....my thumbs up to the salesman!!!:thmbsp:

1974-75

I purchased my first audio system at Pacific Stereo (Colorado Blvd. - just west of Rosemead Blvd., Pasadena, CA).

It consisted of:

• Harman Kardon 330B (I think) receiver

•• Kenwood turntable (forgot model number, but had white base)

••• Quadraflex (ST-15?) speakers

-----------
I later upgraded the speakers to some Transaudio (another Pacific Stereo Brand), and to a Dual 505 table. I upgraded the Harman Kardon to a Marantz 2238B receiver (wish I still had this).
-----------
Over the years I went through a slew of components.

My current system is an Acoustic Reality (digital) amplifier, Placette Audio passive preamp, the CD player du jour, and a nice set of ESP Concert Grand speakers.

ca. 1969

Sinclair amp
Sinclair FM tuner
Home made corner speaker ( 3 way direct radiator )
Garrard Lab 80 Turntable
I don't recall which phono cartridge.

One of the few names I have absolutely no recollection of so far... unless you count Holman Boilers.

Holman was Thomlinson Holman and he was the designer of the amplifiers sold by the company named Apt. He was best known for his preamp designs. He did the preamp sections of some well known integrated amps from I think Yamaha.

The Apt Holman preamp was a well respected product in the 80's.

Back
Top Bottom