What Was Your First Lenten Meal (yesterday)?

savatage1973

Addicted Member
No religion talk here--just food. As most know, yesterday was Ash Wednesday for us Catholics (and a lot of other Christians), and this marks the beginning of the Lenten season (pre-game to Easter). During Lent, you are to fast (not eat meat) on Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, and all Fridays during the Lenten season.

Trust me--I know lots of non-Catholic/non-Christians that participate in this tradition, just because here in Pittsburgh, every Catholic church has a fish-fry (open to the public) with all sorts of different fish, and all the goodies like home-made mac 'n cheese, pierogies, haluski (cabbage and noodles slathered in garlic and butter), and, of course, home-made coleslaw.

Last night, I had a white pizza topped with spinich, portabellas, roasted garlic and cheese, with fried cauliflower (and horsey sauce). This Fryday, I'll hit up one of the fish frys.

Did you do anything "special"?

I don't care if you post that you had a rib-eye, baked potato w/bacon and asparagus--this is about food--not religion, but if you "modified" your "normal" diet for the season--what did you have?

Former Catholic myself now just non-denominational Christian.

But most all of my family still Catholic.

Last night my wife brought home Chinese almond chicken and egg drop soup.

I should probably try to do a complete fast of nothing but water and maybe salads for the next 40 days so I can lose some weight!

Lobster patties I found on markdown at the Kroger's, on a bakery bun. And a nice salad with spring greens, cukes, red pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, Kalamata olives and little fresh mozzarella balls.

Tonight we're going to a fish fry at the Knights of Columbus hall. They do a great job on the fish, just to die for. Small filets, dredged in a flour/cornmeal mixture, not battered. Our next door neighbor is always serving so we go partly just to say hello but the food is really good.

Back
Top Bottom