What was your first receiver?

Pioneer SX-450.... a great starter for me..... but.....
Just wasn’t big enough....
Now have a Pioneer SX-1980 after two years of hunting one down in the UK where they’re very rare to find.
Stonkingly good!

45 years ago it was a Realistic STA-(?) I think. I do remember it was 7 watts RMS per channel, driving some Realistic speakers with a 8" woofer and 3" cone tweeter. My mother warned me it better knock the mirror of the living room wall.:rflmao:

Realistic STA-225

maxresdefault.jpg

(Not my photo!.... grabbed from the web)

First real receiver, Marantz 2230 (purchased 2009), then bought a Fisher 500T. After hooking up the 500T, I was stunned. The Marantz, although great sounding, was sold.

First and last 90wpch NAD piece of junk. Burned up my brand new beautiful B&W DM7s in 1978. Zero headroom. Instant hard clipping.

Pioneer SX 2500 bought new from Olson Electronics. Replaced it a number of years later with a Kenwood KR 9400 bought new from Pacific Stereo during a close out.

I was lucky and didn't know it. In about 1980 I bought my older brother's Kenwood separates circa 1975 with a Philips TT with the cool touch sensitive controls and some really nice JBL speakers. Didn't know what I had and unloaded them shortly after college. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

1974: Lafayette LR-75A. 15 watts a side and no phono stage, so ceramic cartridge only. I was 13 years old and I thought it was great.

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread because I was waxing nostalgic tonight, thinking of my first receiver and wondered if there was a thread such as this and ... there is!

My first receiver was a Sansui 221. I was 16 or 17 in the mid-70's and it was my first piece of real gear. It was the bottom of the Sansui line but it sure sounded sweet to my teenage ears. A couple years later I sold it to a buddy and bought a Marantz 2226 (which I still have). I often think I'd like to find another 221 just for kicks.

Not mine but I like that green & yellow glow.

Sansui-221.jpg

My first receiver was a Hitachi SR-1900 - not the one I had, but here's what they look like...

sr1900.jpg

I didn't really catch the vintage bug until after I had moved this one along in favor of an Akai AA-R30 (also now gone). But these little Hitachi's are underrated IMO - can be had for dirt cheap and they sound pretty decent! Good if you only need around 15-20 WPC.

Pioneer SX-1010, given to me by a very generous uncle... Now fully restored and sounding great driving a pair of AR91s...

IMG_0656.jpeg

Last edited:
I briefly had a Technics SA-5400X, which I managed to get from an auction for £3.
I sold it after a few months and regretted doing so right away. It is quite rare to find nowadays, and while not mind blowing soundwise, it is a little hidden gem, better sounding than much more popular entry level gear from the same era.

IMG_7551.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7555.JPG
    IMG_7555.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
I started , being 15, with a Technics SA-5160. Haven't been satiysfied at all with. Harsh sound, weak tuner part. So after 5 months I sold it and bought a Luxman R-1030. That has been a huge improvement. Stayed for nearly three years, then came the era of separate units. Kenwood KA-900 with KT-1000...

Back
Top Bottom