What was your first speaker cabinet refinishing/refurbishing?

My ADS L-780's were a great teacher. There's some mistakes that I won't make again:
1. On my particular enclosure, I re-veneered, and I should've put the angled corner pieces on AFTER and over the ends of the larger side/top/bottom pieces. Instead, I had exposed end-grain, which gets darker than the surrounding wood when you stain/dye.
2. I should've flatboarded the veneer more. The mahogany was three times thicker than commercially available and I had plenty of room to work with. As the finish cured over the months, it shrunk and the irregularities of the veneer became more apparent.
3. If I had it do to over again, I'd have used contact cement instead of wood glue and an iron. See "irregularities" above.
What I'm glad I did:
4. Dye as opposed to stain. Dye soaks in deep and rarely needs touch-up if you have to sand after application.
5. Gloss Finish - it's way more work, but I still enjoy looking at them a couple of years later.

Photo_29_StickeyDomes.gif

JBL 4311B. Mostly cosmetic, all the drivers and electronics were OK. I'm a stickler for details, even down to trying to duplicate the original felt and velcro on the front and finding near exact replacement hardware. These are staying with me. JBL closeup.JPG Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 12.02.01 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm betting that the veneer that you put on those was nicer than what KLH did back in the day. I assume that you re-clothed the grilles as well?
Thanks Will!
The grills are later model removable grills, but early versions, probably 1965-66, that have the same fabric as the original non removable grills.

Epicure 3.0, no pictures, I worked as a finisher for a pipe organ company at the time so everything I needed was readily available.

Just like Glenn, I started with 1963 KLH Sixes. I didn't do the re-veneer, but I had to replace the tweeters, recap them, build new grills from scratch and completely refinish the veneer that was there. After that I accidentally tripped and fell down the rabbit hole. I've been stuck there ever since.

Back
Top Bottom