What will become of aftermarket car stereos?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by toxcrusadr, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Eric H

Eric H AK Subscriber Subscriber

The universal installation tool.

makita.jpg

2. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Used that on the doors in my '78 Toyota Corolla once upon a time. That was a rockin' stereo - Infinity speakers. :thumbsup:

Swiped picture...mine was white but I always wanted the blue one.

[​IMG]

The carbureted 1.6L engine had a hemispherical head, BTW. Used to tell people my car had a Hemi and I wasn't even lying. :p

3. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member

A Klipsch tweeter will make the same sound in a far more efficient package.

KrisM likes this.
  4. toxcrusadr

Oh look, our favorite tool has appeared.

I meant the saw, of course.

BTW my new Civic can't detect my iPhone 5. :dunno:

Edit: Looks like maybe I need some kind of an app for pairing with Honda. Gotta read the manual. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. Nautiker

Nautiker AK Subscriber Subscriber

And, one could pick up WLS about 400 miles in every direction... I could get it in Delaware, when I wasn't listening to WFIL or WIBG (Philadelphia)...
    Of my 3 cars, my '97 BMW Z3 had the worst car stereo system I've ever encountered - with the engine running, you couldn't hear it at all. BMW really caught a lot of flack from the owners over that. Luckily, it is a DIN system and can be upgraded - mine certainly has...
    The Monsoon system in my '03 VW Passat is excellent, and the system in my '99 Jeep Cherokee has been augmented with a couple of options that make it very nice - now, if it was only more quiet at highway speed... :)

6. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

A small tid bit here. The cost factor to have electronic later model work done.

Was talking with the neighbour last night and he had two quotes in order to fix his radio... an early in the teens van (won't mention make).

Anyways, after checking out the dealer, the quote came in at just over $600. The aftermarket fix it place came in just under $140. Quite the difference for the same procedure for a radio.

Just thought to share...seemed relevant.

Q

7. toxcrusadr

My impression is that's pretty standard for any repairs done at a dealer. I've had the same independent mechanic for 30 yrs. though so I haven't had much of an opportunity to find out what dealers charge.