What would be a good upgrade from my Luxman?

daza152

Hey guys I own a PD-272 Luxman TT and have been of thinking of taking it to next level. Can yoiu please suggest some brands or models that are better but not ridiculously expensive please. I also use a pair of Wharfedale diamond series bookshelf speakers too wuith my Harman Kardon amp. want great sound quality at a realistic price and I live in NZ too. thanks.

Is there something about your table you don't like? The Luxman is a pretty good table and may not be the weak point in your system. I think you will have to spend a bit to match or better it. What is the rest of your system? If you just have to do something I have seen this table with a Jelco 750 mounted to it. That would be a nice setup.

The wow and flutter of the Luxman is pretty good at .03%, any improvement in that is not really audible. However, for a direct drive turntable with that good wow and flutter it is somewhat noisy with a Signal to Noise spec of 60 dB. For comparison, the Technics SL 1200 MKII and later got that to 78 dB, and even my lowly Pioneer PL-7 can meet that same spec. There are a great many direct drive turntables out there that can meet the wow and flutter spec and do better in the signal to noise or rumble spec.

This site will be able to shed some light on any turntables you might want to consider.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable-database.php

Shelly_D

Thanks guys I have had thgis TT for about 7 years and maybe justy wanted a change for the better or maybe just a change? I like the Linn Sondek LP12 tables and remember they used to be cheaper. I guess my Lux has no issues just feel it's under whelmed could be the speakers...? I dunno, was just after some advice really if I should change to get a better sound. Thanks.
Is there something about your table you don't like? The Luxman is a pretty good table and may not be the weak point in your system. I think you will have to spend a bit to match or better it. What is the rest of your system? If you just have to do something I have seen this table with a Jelco 750 mounted to it. That would be a nice setup.
my speakers are only Wharfedale bookshelf ones

A Little warning about compairing data specs on late seventies - early eighties turntables. it seems that the japanese used a more ridgid japanese protocol for measuring and calculate s/n figures - i think it was named jis ,

in the late seventies/early eighties they shifted to the same protocol used by international makers - which had the effect of raising the s/n numbers on existing turntables whith around 10 db overnight. as i recal was it a matter of unweighted vs.weighted numbers .

so be carefull compairing your luxman pd 272 directly whith others as it might have the more conservative numbers for s/n is not direct compareble whith the ones you wish to compaire it with.

the s/n of 60 db you mention is indeed very low compared to others , as it definitely was not a cheap table i think it safe to gues that you should estimate this number to be somewhere in the 70+ db after the never and loser standart.

others here on the site may have more to note on this subject and are velcome to chime in

regards
paul

Maybe consider an arm swap. The stock arm while nice, was designed for high compliance carts.

the dual is a big step Down in quality comparred to the luxman, but it is somewhat difficult to give you advice as you dont give much information about your system and the state of it servicevice.

what cartridge are you using? is it properly adjusted, setup ? is it a good match whith the arm on the luxman or would this be the place to look for better performance ?

are your amp in good shape ore does it need service/recap ?

same goes whith your speakers, are they a good match with your amp? does they need service/recap ?

are you listening to other sources such as radio, cd, streaming etc? and are you satisfied with the way that those sources sounds ?'
in other Words, is it only the vinyl playing that is lacking in your desired sq ?

i honestly do not think you will get better sound just blindly swapping turntables - you need to make sure that your hole system is optimised and go from there ;-)

maybe if you give us more info we could give you better advice.

best luck

paul

Last edited:
the dual is a big step Down in quality comparred to the luxman, but it is somewhat difficult to give you advice as you dont give much information about your system and the state of it servicevice.

what cartridge are you using? is it properly adjusted, setup ? is it a good match whith the arm on the luxman or would this be the place to look for better performance ?

are your amp in good shape ore does it need service/recap ?

same goes whith your speakers, are they a good match with your amp? does they need service/recap ?

are you listening to other sources such as radio, cd, streaming etc? and are you satisfied with the way that those sources sounds ?'
in other Words, is it only the vinyl playing that is lacking in your desired sq ?

i honestly do not think you will get better sound just blindly swapping turntables - you need to make sure that your hole system is optimised and go from there ;-)

maybe if you give us more info we could give you better advice.

best luck

paul
Thanks Paul, I'm not real tech savy sorry but my ears know what they like and can notice the difference in sound quality I will try and give a better decscription of whaty I am using to see if that helps. Did you play that video I added of simply red on a Linn Sondek LP12 WOW thats gooood sound!! Thanks.

That table and arm are quite good. What cart is that? I ran the auto version (pd-277) for years with a Grace f-9 and found it to be a stellar performer. Might be worthwhile looking into another cartridge.

I'd upgrade cartridges. This arm is very good. Get something nice for it like a Ortofon OM 10, a middle of the road Audio-Technica or something like a Shure M 97xE for it. It deserves a nicer cartridge.

Thanks guys I have had thgis TT for about 7 years and maybe justy wanted a change for the better or maybe just a change? I like the Linn Sondek LP12 tables and remember they used to be cheaper. I guess my Lux has no issues just feel it's under whelmed could be the speakers...? I dunno, was just after some advice really if I should change to get a better sound. Thanks.

my speakers are only Wharfedale bookshelf ones
I think you should be looking for a better cartridge. Your table is a very nice rig. Any of these would work well.
https://www.lpgear.com/product/AT7V.html
https://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAMP110.html
https://www.lpgear.com/product/THEVESSELA3SE.html
https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHEC03.html
https://www.lpgear.com/product/OROM10S.html

Back
Top Bottom