What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by RR--, Jun 16, 2012.

1. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

Of interest, where do you consider the 'last decade of decline' to begin?

The best sounding Sansuis that I've had the pleasure of hearing come from the 80s and 90s during the alpha X-balanced generation.

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

I think all Sansui gear is nice to own, however, some model ranges are particularly representative of the state of development of the industry at the time, and can be appreciated for defining their position in the history of Sansui and HiFi in general. Models from the 80's and 90's have a somewhat varied build quality but have shaken off the often repeated requirement to sound 'tube like' and sound to me much more accurate and resolving as a result. I really like a lot of Sansui gear from the 80's and 90's, even though the build quality is patchy it sounds very nice to my ears - just to be clear, this is my opinion, I am not forcing it on anyone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    skippy124 likes this.
  3. warriorpoet777

warriorpoet777 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the AU-D607 from Japan with AU-717 power transformers running in my main system-we are on 115-125 volt power here. I like all of the dual mono circuits in the black face amps and especially the hex shape heat sink later models AU-717.

I am speaking only to some of the grey plastic stuff they were selling here when the tape decks and turntables were pure plastic.

Not any of the piano black that was produced in the last 10 years of Sansui's life span: 1991 to 2001.

pete_mac likes this.