What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by RR--, Jun 16, 2012.

1. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

Of interest, where do you consider the 'last decade of decline' to begin?

The best sounding Sansuis that I've had the pleasure of hearing come from the 80s and 90s during the alpha X-balanced generation.

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

I think all Sansui gear is nice to own, however, some model ranges are particularly representative of the state of development of the industry at the time, and can be appreciated for defining their position in the history of Sansui and HiFi in general. Models from the 80's and 90's have a somewhat varied build quality but have shaken off the often repeated requirement to sound 'tube like' and sound to me much more accurate and resolving as a result. I really like a lot of Sansui gear from the 80's and 90's, even though the build quality is patchy it sounds very nice to my ears - just to be clear, this is my opinion, I am not forcing it on anyone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    skippy124 likes this.
  3. warriorpoet777

warriorpoet777 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the AU-D607 from Japan with AU-717 power transformers running in my main system-we are on 115-125 volt power here. I like all of the dual mono circuits in the black face amps and especially the hex shape heat sink later models AU-717.

I am speaking only to some of the grey plastic stuff they were selling here when the tape decks and turntables were pure plastic.

Not any of the piano black that was produced in the last 10 years of Sansui's life span: 1991 to 2001.

pete_mac likes this.
  4. czubsi

czubsi Active Member

B-2301L (MOD - refreshment)

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      111.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      144 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      100.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      102.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      98.2 KB
      Views:
  5. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

Very nice work Paul!

Thanks again for your help and advice on my AU-X711. It sounds lovely after the modifications!

6. WeberTT

WeberTT New Member

Hello guys,
    I going through all 17-th pages of this thread last night. Very interesting and informational discussion !

In any case, Today I'm on very difficult choice:
    1) AU-Alpha 907DK
    OR
    2) AU-X111MOS Vintage

What is better ? A more new technologies and parts of 907's OR MOSFET and "Vintage" spirit of X111?

Price for both items almost the same ~1300$
    My speakers - Technics SB-E100 (6 Om, 95dB, of 1978 year).

Thanks for any QUICK response!

7. Cafad

Cafad New Member

Would that be "DR" rather than "DK"?
    If so the DR would be a safe bet, I've got one and it's a great piece of kit, nice clean sound with a strong bass presentation.
    The X111MOS however is rarer, older, and because it is an MOS model has a greater level of prestige. If I had the chance to buy it for the same price as the DR I would choose the X111MOS. However I haven't heard one so I can't comment on how it sounds. Since it is an earlier model it is probably warmer sounding but that's just supposition on my part.

pete_mac likes this.
  8. WeberTT

WeberTT New Member

Cafad, thank you very much for response!
    Yes, I had ask about "DR" ( just misprint).
    In general, I tend to MOS series of amplifiers too.
    I don't have a lot of experience with amplifiers (specially at now, trying to order my first Sansui), but from what I had able to test , Sanyo P55 (dual-mono, MOS FET) give me a "strong" and "readable" bass.

9. salvo

salvo New Member

i have the alpha 907dr and i find it fantastic!

10. WeberTT

WeberTT New Member

Finally, the X111MOS Vintage was buyed . At now, - long, long days in waiting of delivery .....

11. salvo

salvo New Member

OK, congratulation! at what price? is it 111 or 1111?
    :beerchug:

12. WeberTT

WeberTT New Member

Thanks salvo, 111 only I was able to find. Not sure that 1111 it's much different gear (if look on specifications), just a more old and more "vintage" ))).
    Price - 1400$ with delivery to my home from Japan.

13. salvo

salvo New Member

The 1111 uses the alpha 907 Tamura transformer however great price and great choice! which speakers connected tu?
    I await your listening impressions:)

14. WeberTT

WeberTT New Member

Yes salvo, nice to have Tamura transformer, but while searching amplifier on the Japan's auction I saw many Alpha 907 in non-functional state (like one of two channel was out of sound) and this fact restrained me.
    In any case, I have in plan to buy something from newest line during next year, like a907NRA to perform comparison.

My speakers were described in my message above #326.

15. salvo

salvo New Member

OK: Technics SB-E100 very good!!

16. WeberTT

WeberTT New Member

In general , I'm fun of Technics , has chance to listen SU-V8, SE-A900. This is "very medium" level of amplifier from Technics. They are both has a very clear and detail sound , but not enough bass from my stand point. Then, during searching V100D or SE-A5, absolutely accidentally stumbled upon Sansui, began to study the question and ..... I hope now I will become an adept of this brand. At least, some guys who has able to listen V100D (top of integrated amplifier of medium 80's) and X111 MOS said that Sansui it's absolutely another level of SQ. Ok, will see....

P.S. Sorry for off-topic. I'll back when my first Sansui will be delivered with result of test on the my speakers and on some another speakers in comparison with Technics amplifier of my friends .

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  17. WeberTT

WeberTT New Member

Finally, yesterday, I received my SANSUI (AU-111MOS Vintage) .
    Concerning the sound: I will immediately say that I do not have much baggage behind my shoulders, but what I've listened to before (including rather expensive modern products in Hi-Fi stores) can not compete with this amplifier. The sound is very balanced in frequency and "thoroughbred", I'm happy! Sansui said to my speakers - "You will give me 100% of what you are capable of and a little more!" (Terrible face) ;) .
    Here it is necessary to say that my speakers are scolding for the indistinct bass and there is a lot of truth in this, but SANSUI was able to squeeze out of them exactly as much bass as needed to feel it physically.

18. salvo

salvo New Member

congratulations! what speakers do you have? how much did you pay for this jewel?