What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

Ok just got the AU-101 back from a service...caps replaced and a few increased in capacity...Intend to pass this one on as a gift...
So currently just have it hooked up to the Wharfedale E90s...for a listen and cap run-in...loverly new electrical smells...

Tech...i don't think they could have got more out of so little in an amp! Check out the phono and microphone setup...blah blahhh
Tech...Back then this solid state build was the way they all went...not much in here compared to their bigger stuff!
Tech...In fact i reckon they tried to build a tube sounding amp from solid-state parts!

A little Jazz playing with Duke Pearson...One word...sweet! :music:
Clarity with detail...snare and piano...no fatiguing highs...bass and mids mellow and smoooth without any annoying wooliness...
Want to turn it up even more just to immerse myself into the music it sounds so good!
All the switches work with no crackles and that loudness switch! To die for!
Could easily listen to this lil fella all day long...
Reckon with care this one will last a very long time...

Last edited:
What would be the best Sansui for sound quality, we'll I'm happy to be listening to this restored Beauty.
IMAG0840_1.jpg

It's been on my mind for a white, I have the b/c2101 an Alpha 907 and planning on having them all out to compare. I would like to add to the listening test the 907 limited, NRA, MR, AU-1111 Mos vintage etc.
I want to know if the below test is true or not but adding the extra alpha series.

http://www.sansui.us/issues_AU111vsAL907MR.htm

Last edited:
No ! B/C 5000 for vintage enthusiasts, not for music lovers
Exactly, because the ca5000 does not exist. :) - so no music will ever emerge from that suggested combination, and vintage enthusiasts will also be disappointed, being a box short.

Last edited:
bluesky you have a lot of reasons. The truth is, however, so that the old models of strong coloring and are not as fast as alpha - the difference is really big!. The rule is so that everyone likes what is :) But I have what I like!

The truth is that the nearest neutral tone pattern is AU-alpha 907DR! Later models such as the XR and MR twist the lamp! Everyone has different tastes but the pattern is the one! You have to hear the Alpha 907DR questioned XR and all will answer! bluesky listen AU111G, 907MR and if they recognize the band put in front of the whiskey!

Thank you czubsi for your advice on alphas!!
I understand alphas now. :thumbsup:

AU-a907DR, AU-907 Limited, AU-a907MR, the Alpha 907 series! :)

Last edited:
The best sounding Sansui amp is the one that sounds best to you.

One that works and functions right, as designed.

As with any stereo amp...one that you can live with and think, and say to yourself: "I really 'L I K E ' this amp!!" And if you can say you really 'love' this amp...man, you really got it then!

Never heard a Sansui MOS but an Alpha MOS would be nice!
So would an AU-X1111 MOS Vintage. (This amp would be the ticket!!)
Problem: no spare MOS chips anymore for Sansui amps.

Or the tube 1999 AU-111 'Vintage' or the 20000 AU-111G. But quite expensive and needs to be shipped from Japan. Japanese Voltage % Hz too. Super tube amps and pretty new too. Don't know where you would get the schematics though for those specific models.

Nothing wrong with the 1980 AU-717 (AU-919), if you get the glue off the boards and restore it. GREAT sounding amps. Really a 'deep' sound. Kind of like a live concert...a real sound. I do love these amps.

What applications are you going to use the amp for??? How much power do you need?? How big is your listening space?

An alpha would be super nice! AU-X901s sound great. I'm sure for regular listening spaces the AU-X701 would be just 'fine'! Just saw another one sell for really cheap on eBay.

I'd love to hear an AU-70. And TU-70. Can't remember ever hearing one but bet it's a nice combo. And the tube sound.

Just whatever amp you like the sound of really. Great sound, deep sound, audiophile sound, and amp that sounds great with records, or CDs...many different Sansui 'sounds': tube, early SS, 07, X, alpha, and MOS. And you have the Definition and Professional series too, as well as Quad too. Also...what transformer(s) does it have, like Tamura. It also depends heavily on how much money you personally have to spend on the gear. Of course. And dependiibility. Keep in mind that amps prior 1980 will need a restoration sooner than later to sound optimum. Though, some still sound great as they are without restoration. But it will need a restoration sooner than later.

So it's hard to say: "Which amp sounds the best". There are So Many Factors involved.

Just find the amp you like the sound of, that you can live with and unconditionally enjoy, and you got it! There is always better, and there is always worse.

Personally...I'd get an AU-X1111 "Vintage", AU-X901 (which I have now, it's nice!), AU-X701 ( an outstanding amp on a budget - they sell for $150-$200(+/-), or an Alpha from Japan. For tubes I'd get the AU-111 "Vintage" or the AU-111G. Or just fully restore and AU-717 (great for LPs and CDs) or if you like to play your music louder and play a lot of records..the AU-919. Or if you love that 'classic look', and don't need a lot of power, a 5000X. Guys love the higher number 'G' series too. :thmbsp:

Now if your going to get an Alpha you have to do your research! Some are much better than others. And if you going to get an Alpha, and have it shipped from Japan ($$$), you may as well get a better model! right!

Just find the Sansui amp that's got the 'magic' for you.

(Same stands true for any brand of stereo amplifier really.)

Good luck and happy hunting!! :yes: It's 'really great' when you find it!! :yes:

:thmbsp:

the whole truth the AU-X901 it's great amp,
besides, I love AU 9500 as well with Eight Deluxe they stay with me forever

no! In my statement of AU-07 is relatively far! My ranking:

1) B2302L/C2302L
2) AU-alpha 907LIMITED
3) B2105MOS VINTAGE
4) AU-alpha 907MR / AU-111G
5) AU-alpha 907NRA
6) B2103MOS VINTAGE
7) AU-alpha 907XR / AU-X1111MOS Vintage (last version - TAMURA !)
8) AU-07
9) AU-alpha 907DR/KX and AU-X911DG (my mod !)
10) B2301/C2301
11) AU-X1111MOS Vintage / B2102 MOS Vintage
12) AU-alpha 907i MOS Limited
13) AU-alpha 907 L extra
14) AU-alpha 907i
15) AU-alpha 907
16) B2102/C2102
17) AU-X901

interesting, in Japan you can buy them for quite a small amount of money

Last edited:
the whole truth the AU-X901 it's great amp,
besides, I love AU 9500 as well with Eight Deluxe they stay with me forever

I'm sold on the AU-X901. I truly hope this amp lasts forever. And... you can just plug it into the 120V wall socket, how easy is that.

To anyone looking for a really fine sounding Sansui amp... the X701 & X901 are pretty fine amps if you can find one. And if the price is right for you - jump on it!! :thumbsup:

They are just really nice amps.

interesting, in Japan you can buy them for quite a small amount of money

Yes. Isn't that the truth!

I've seen ' s o m e ' sell cheap sometimes, especially MR amps (many alphas) and TU-9900 tuners. SR-929/838 TTs too.

Last edited:
The Sansui AU-Alpha707 (japanese domestive version of X901) is sitting front and centre in my system now. Does suffer from a small patch of the dreaded sansui glue btw. Cleaned that up and now it's playing nicely.

I will write more about this in another thread I have going, but lets just say the Alpha707/X901 is a lovely amp, sounds a lot like my AU-777A but how gobs more power. I have some doubts how audible the improvements of later Alphas are over this model....

Ai... this thread is dangerous, it should be forbidden for Sansui addicts... Until recently I used to be so happy with my BA/CA-F1 combo! And before that with my B/C-2101 set!
But now I came across a B-2103 MOS Vintage. It looks very similar to the 2105 that is highly praised here by many. Would this be a good match to my CA-F1 or would it be better sounding combined with a later pre-amp? (in which case, this hobby would become really expensive!) I am on the hunt for new gear - must be the spring season ).
I can find very little info on this one, if anybody could explain the (detail) differences I would be happy.

Ai... this thread is dangerous, it should be forbidden for Sansui addicts... Until recently I used to be so happy with my BA/CA-F1 combo! And before that with my B/C-2101 set!
But now I came across a B-2103 MOS Vintage. It looks very similar to the 2105 that is highly praised here by many. Would this be a good match to my CA-F1 or would it be better sounding combined with a later pre-amp? (in which case, this hobby would become really expensive!) I am on the hunt for new gear - must be the spring season ).
I can find very little info on this one, if anybody could explain the (detail) differences I would be happy.
A C-2101 would drive a B-2103 MOS. Until you found the matching pre-amp.

I'd die for a B-2103 MOS

Back
Top Bottom