What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

Yes, but the OP does not live in Japan and neither do I, so for all intents and purposes, there are few Alpha's around.....
When you live in Australia or New Zealand the choices are very limited, and if you do want something specific, the cost becomes astronomical......

There's always the International AU-X901/X701 "Vintage Series".

Man, down in Australia...that's where all the super rare 1970 Sansui AS-300 speakers are. I always see them for sale down under, and in great condition too.

If you ever see an AS-300 Sansui 'W-112' woofer for sale, PLEASE tell me!! Been looking for one for years. Thanks.

:music:

Last edited:
There's always the International AU-X901/X701 "Vintage Series".

Man, down in Australia...that's where all the super rare 1970 Sansui AS-300 speakers are. I always see them for sale down under, and in great condition too.

If you ever see an AS-300 Sansui 'W-112' woofer for sale, PLEASE tell me!! Been looking for one for years. Thanks.

:music:

Someone in Canada is selling mint pair of AS-300 right now.

I say Canadians have all the good stuff.:yes:

Someone in Canada is selling mint pair of AS-300 right now. I say Canadians have all the good stuff.:yes:

They are really nice sounding acoustic suspension speakers. Like: KLHs or ARs. 1970-1972 only. AlNiCo magnets. Big Box Sound.

Just looking for a woofer.

I'm already in it for $260 total which included shipping, they are really heavy. I don't lose often but I lost on those but they should of been fine (long eBay story). Can't win all the time on eBay.

Now if I can find a W-112 woofer...then ok, I'd totally restore the crossovers, etc. But I may even part them out on eBay and give other guys looking for AS-300 parts a break. To tell you the truth, I've almost lost interest in them. Almost. Been looking for a darn woofer in 5 different countries for 3+ years, 'daily' (while looking for other stuff). Just nada, zero, no W-112s.

Are AS-300s rare ... I guess so. I knew it when I bought them but I didn't know they were THAT RARE.

Lessons Learned: I can offer this advice - Don't buy RARE Speakers. Once broke, forget it for parts.

Last edited:
I wouldnt waste my time with step down transformers personally, I have a guy who winds transformers, its a very simple process for a competent transformer winding guy to change the primary windings....

kev,

does this means you need to do modification to the orginal sansui transformer?does step down transformer effects sound quality for the case of 100v?

I wouldnt waste my time with step down transformers personally, I have a guy who winds transformers, its a very simple process for a competent transformer winding guy to change the primary windings....

kev,

does this means you need to do modification to the orginal sansui transformer?does step down transformer effects sound quality for the case of 100v?

Yes he does a new primary winding for the original Sansui transformer......Which means he unwinds the transformer to replace the primary windings.

If you use a stepdown transformer, as long as it can deliver enough current, I shouldnt think it would affect the sound quality at all.....

How does your SM-320M sound?

Tell us how you like it!! If you would, give us a little brief on it!! Sound, strong points, weak points, everything.

Thanks

:thmbsp:

Hi Bluesky,

My SM-320M becomes one of my favorite Sansui already. Last 2 years when i was bidding this one from ebay, you (and AK's friends) gave me a very good advice, thanks again. :D

As you Know, Its a "never been used" stuff from 1962, after brought it back to life, i did a burn in around 50-100 hours, the sound is much better.

I'm not good in English, its hard to tell how i love the sound of this SM320M but i will try, in my opinion, this one is the older bros of SAX200, these two are very similar in sounding. BTW, I do not have a SAX200 on my own, just listen my friend system. However, more familiar with the 1000a, I says, I like SM320M more. Its a very sweet sounding amp. I thinks the best of this receiver is the sound image, the weak points are dynamic and bass. this one is not good for rock music.

I found that the SM320M is get along well with AR's speakers (I've got AR1 n AR3) more than JBL's (did matching w L96 L100s and C56 Dorian), which i was very surprise. anyway, its depends on what style you like. :music:

The OP's question cannot really be answered, what speakers will be used, what is his favorite genre of music?
Is the listening room large or small? Does he "crank it" or listen at lower levels?
For me, in a 12X16 living room, I use 2 sets, an AU/TU 888 and a BA/CA 3000 with a TU 9900 tuner...BPC CD players and a POC Kenwood turntable. {soon to be replaced with a sui SR 838}
Speakers are a set of SP 300's and a set of SP 1700's.
Sounds good to me. I rotate my units every so often too.

Thanks for the history lesson Bluesky, I always had the impression that the quality declined but I had only really read the wikipedia entry.
I'll add those speakers to my list of things to look for at markets.

I think my next amp to look for would be a 9090 or a G series, what ever I happen to find though.

From personal experience, I can highly recommend the AU-9900 and the AU-517. As has been said, the '517 is a great amp for rock / guitar oriented music - the '9900 has handled anything and everything I have thrown at it with aplomb!

:banana:

Good luck in your search.

Dan

Last edited:
It's a shame Kevzep, There's a really nice restored and recapped 9090db on ebay at the moment but shipping to Aus would cost $430.

You don't happen to know of any tactics of finding vintage gear? Op shops here don't sell electronics even though they technically can and I haven't been lucky at garage sales. My current AU4400 came from a sunday market and it's the only Sansui I've seen.

I think I would prefer the AU-111 as I have a pair of Sansui SP L700's and was using a combination of a CA2000/Yamaha M70, but when I switched out the Solid State to an old Fisher tube integrated KX200 the speakers just came alive, so it would be the Tube amp for me, at least with this pair of Sansui Speakers.

I have a lead on another Sansui Tube amp, not as good as the AU-111, and I might purchase it and refurbish it and give it a try, but I hate spending alot of time on a less model when I would be more happy putting the time and effort to restore the amp that I really want in the first place. I doubt I will purchase any more solid state amps, now that I have heard tube amps on my speakers I like them much better, and I have plenty of solid state amps.

Last edited:
That's the main reason I searched for a year and found a Sansui AU-X901 "Vintage" series (AU-a707i) international amp.

Just plug it into the 120V USA wall socket and no problem. Problem solved, done deal.

Last edited:
Hi Bluesky,

My SM-320M becomes one of my favorite Sansui already. Last 2 years when i was bidding this one from ebay, you (and AK's friends) gave me a very good advice, thanks again. :D

As you Know, Its a "never been used" stuff from 1962, after brought it back to life, i did a burn in around 50-100 hours, the sound is much better.

I'm not good in English, its hard to tell how i love the sound of this SM320M but i will try, in my opinion, this one is the older bros of SAX200, these two are very similar in sounding. BTW, I do not have a SAX200 on my own, just listen my friend system. However, more familiar with the 1000a, I says, I like SM320M more. Its a very sweet sounding amp. I thinks the best of this receiver is the sound image, the weak points are dynamic and bass. this one is not good for rock music.

I found that the SM320M is get along well with AR's speakers (I've got AR1 n AR3) more than JBL's (did matching w L96 L100s and C56 Dorian), which i was very surprise. anyway, its depends on what style you like. :music:

Hi petch,

Thanks for the write-up on the SM-320M sound qualities...and you speak English really well, perfect! :yes:

Sounds like you have a really nice and wonderful SM-320M in ' like new - never been used ' condition. It doesn't get any better than that.

SM-320M with ARs. Nice.

It's really nice to own an 'early piece' of Sansui History. 'Older brother' of the SAX-200. That's just so cool.

I bet it 'looks so fine' too! 1962. Wow. You have something really special.

Sounds like a Jazz, Delta Blues, Blues amp. Same era.

Wonderful find and really glad you got it!

Congradulations!!

Last edited:
It's a shame Kevzep, There's a really nice restored and recapped 9090db on ebay at the moment but shipping to Aus would cost $430.

You don't happen to know of any tactics of finding vintage gear? Op shops here don't sell electronics even though they technically can and I haven't been lucky at garage sales. My current AU4400 came from a sunday market and it's the only Sansui I've seen.

I know this is a long shot, maybe impossible, but...

If you know anyone in the Australian Navy, or Air Force, or Army, he could, or could get one of his friends on another ship or airplane to, possibly pick-up the amp and he could bring it back to Australia on his ship or airplane. He may know someone in the USA, in a port or military airport like San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Seattle, that he goes to frequently, that could buy it and give it to him when he visits port. If his ship comes to USA he sure knows someone, like local bar friends or base friends, in USA, that 'could do the deal'.

Then: if you live near your friends Home Base in Australia you could just pick it up or he could send it to you in the Australian mail which would be much cheaper.

Just something to think about. It 'could be done' that way.

Last edited:
I think I would prefer the AU-111 as I have a pair of Sansui SP L700's and was using a combination of a CA2000/Yamaha M70, but when I switched out the Solid State to an old Fisher tube integrated KX200 the speakers just came alive, so it would be the Tube amp for me, at least with this pair of Sansui Speakers.

I have a lead on another Sansui Tube amp, not as good as the AU-111, and I might purchase it and refurbish it and give it a try, but I hate spending alot of time on a less model when I would be more happy putting the time and effort to restore the amp that I really want in the first place. I doubt I will purchase any more solid state amps, now that I have heard tube amps on my speakers I like them much better, and I have plenty of solid state amps.

If I ever got another amp it would be the AU-111.

I'd love to get the AU-111 "Vintage" series, think it's like 1998 or so, can't remember without looking at my notes. The 1999 AU-111 'G' would really be nice too but I really wouldn't need it's special features. Geeez...I'd just love to have a really nice 60s AU-111!! Very nice.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, there is no tactic really. I have invested an enormous amount of money to get the Sansui's I wanted.
New Zealand is even worse than Australia, we had some ridiculous import duty laws up until the mid 1980's which prevented all this gear coming to New Zealand....So there is even less of it here than in Australia...
However, I did get my G22000 for a good price from an AK member who was upgrading to the G33000. It had an annoying intermittent protection circuit fault, but as I was completely restoring it I didnt really worry about that....
But even then the shipping was over $1500NZ.....But the whole exercise was cheaper than the G9000 which came from "the Bay" and was supposedly in "immaculate condition" but somehow developed some electronic faults on the way here (which the seller denied when I asked him about it) along with some shipping damage from being badly packed.....But its fully restored and you would never know it was damaged now.

The price for the 9090DB shipping sounds reasonable to me as long as the seller packs the thing properly, it is a risk buying off the bay, I would become a AK member and put a want add, or look at the barter town, that way you will end up dealing with someone who you will be able to trust more with the shipping and getting it to Australia without damage.....

The 9090DB is an excellent sounding amplifier, its a little different from the G series. Guys here will say the 9090 is warmer, I say they dont quite have the linearity, detail and 'air' in the top end like the G receivers do....But I wouldnt say no to one, and in fact I quite like the 990 (black face version), they look very elegant......
My comparisons were made on re-capped amplifiers....

Thanks for the history lesson Bluesky, I always had the impression that the quality declined but I had only really read the wikipedia entry.
I'll add those speakers to my list of things to look for at markets.

I think my next amp to look for would be a 9090 or a G series, what ever I happen to find though.

To put it in a little more perspective......The sound quality, (in my opinion) definitely developed and was refined into something I am very fond of....
BUT, the build quality did move towards a more "made by robot" and flimsy plastic bits look.....
The modular build as in the G series receivers disappeared, I guess it was a more expensive way to build the amplifiers......
They combined different parts of the circuits onto common boards, used cheaper switches which didnt last as long for example.......

I heavily recommend the G series, VERY solid build quality, and reliable......They dont really have anything serious go wrong with them......
Just the usual odd switch that goes intermittent, and a couple of fusible resistors in the driver stage and thats about it......
They also have a EXCELLENT tuner.......

If I ever got another amp it would be the AU-111.

I'd love to get the AU-111 "Vintage" series, think it's like 1998 or so, can't remember without looking at my notes. The 1999 AU-111 'G' would really be nice too but I really wouldn't need it's special features. Geeez...I'd just love to have a really nice 60s AU-111!! Very nice.

Agreed, an AU-111 would be very nice indeed........:thmbsp:

hi All
no i dont think i ve heard a bad Sui.
just got an au9500 into service and am astounded by the sound.
i didnt expect it to pair up well with LS3 5A s but boy it gives the little speakers a workout - real authority.
Awaiting return of 111 - some idiot earlier owner had bypassed certain circuits eg tone , filters, even balance ! now a pal of mine is going bonkers trying to sort out the wires. i fear it may then need recap and other expensf work .....

Back
Top Bottom