What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

Say, for no particular reason, I'm wondering if the Sansui 661 deserves to be mentioned in this topic....

Yes it does, the XX1 series is a very fine sounding series - they are all good with the 881 being the top of the range. :thmbsp:

hi All
no i dont think i ve heard a bad Sui.
just got an au9500 into service and am astounded by the sound.
i didnt expect it to pair up well with LS3 5A s but boy it gives the little speakers a workout - real authority.
Awaiting return of 111 - some idiot earlier owner had bypassed certain circuits eg tone , filters, even balance ! now a pal of mine is going bonkers trying to sort out the wires. i fear it may then need recap and other expensf work .....

For sure if you own that AU-111, if it has not already had all the caps replaced, that would be something that it would need without a doubt. All the coupling caps, all the can caps would probably need restuffing in time as well. I just did an old tube amp, got to the parts list off the schemetic get the values of all the old caps and start ordering them and there are other things as well. Depending on the rectifier, if is not a tube rectifier it would probably need looking at. Have all the tubes tested, checking the biases. It took me almost 5 months to go thru a small tube amp, and there are still somethings I want to do to improve it. The AU-111 is a an amp I think would be pretty worthy of making a long term project of getting everything right. The cost to go thru a tube amp is not cheap, but if you want it working right, you either have to pay the price or its not going to reward you with the sound that they are worthy of.

"What is the best sounding Sansui ?? "

The one that sounds the best to you.

Hi Bluesky,

I agree with you,I have Sansui AU 777 and AU 999,both without recap and i still find the AU 777 suites me. The AU 999 sounds similiar but seems bright. Need to match a correct speakers to get the sound,but the clarity unbeatable.:)

i have just listened to my very first sansui, the 888. i love it, I sat there smiling as I listened to Jethro tulls "stand up" using a pioneer sl 510a TT and akai sw 137 speakers. i am only borrowing the amp for a couple of days as I wanted to hear for myself what all the hype is about and now I'm a believer!

i have just listened to my very first sansui, the 888. i love it, I sat there smiling as I listened to Jethro tulls "stand up" using a pioneer sl 510a TT and akai sw 137 speakers. i am only borrowing the amp for a couple of days as I wanted to hear for myself what all the hype is about and now I'm a believer!

Well, now you've done it!! Are you gonna give it back, or run for the hills!! (with the Sansui)......

...If it were my Sansui , you would have to run very , very far away...:D

...Congratulations to your very first Sansui-sound experience - I remember the first time that i heard a 'sui , it was back in '77 - i just could'nt believe , that the little AU 317 of a friend of mine was Sounding Better than my mighty Telefunken receiver......

...You just have to go and get one...:thmbsp:

.... I would become a AK member and put a want add, or look at the barter town, that way you will end up dealing with someone who you will be able to trust more with the shipping and getting it to Australia without damage.....

Here's another idea. Enlist the aid of an AK'er to help with the packing and shipping. I helped a fellow in NY with the purchase of a nice Sansui in Denver. I bought the needed supplies and packed it up for him. He made all of the shipping arrangements and paid for it. I printed labels and affixed them to the boxes before dropping them off at FEDEX.

The story had a very happy ending and I got a tip for my efforts. :thmbsp:

Hello everyone, For me my sansui ba and ca 3000 are the best combo ive heard so far. I've owned the 221 receiver, au-11000a, ba-ca2000, au-317, au-719 and a au-x911dg oh and a 7070 receiver. Ive never heard a bad sansui

"Best" for me is my fully restored to like new, 9090DB. Because its the sound I had back when my first 9090DB was brand new. It's what I expect a Sansui to sound like.

Sound ' Quality ' is different from raw Sansui power.

Sansui made so many mighty fine sounding amps, many series.

I love my present amp but would love to have:

1. AU-X1111 MOS Vintage

2. AU-111, or AU-111 "Vintage" (That would be soooooo coooool), or the AU-111G (Which I really don't need, I'm not into SACD, but it would be nice!)

Any of those would be some 'mighty fine sound Quality'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom