What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

If it makes you smile when you listen, its good sound. A lot of Sui's make me smile. Kind of a silly topic, actually, because nobody hears the same thing the same as the next guy.

Well said. That's it Exactly! :thmbsp:

Yes indeed...a Smile on your Face!

Last edited:
Sound ' Quality ' is different from raw Sansui power.

Sansui made so many mighty fine sounding amps, many series.

I love my present amp but would love to have:

1. AU-X1111 MOS Vintage

2. AU-111

Any of those would be some 'mighty fine sound Quality'.

Quality choice there Mr sky , complete the trio with a Large G or B and you would have all bases pretty much covered methinks :smoke:

Has anyone actually heard the later 90's models? (I'd even be happy if you know someone who's sister's friend heard one!) I'm just curious whether they're in the same caliber of gear that comprises the "Sansui sound?"

After reading through the posts on these threads, I've been torn between picking up an AU-999, AU-9500, AU 717 or BA-F1 when I came across a collector who's selling off his collection of mint AU-07, AU-D907, AU-D907G, AU907X, AU-907i, AUa907 Limited, C2302, B2302, and even a BA-5000.

Talk about doing an about turn! I came very close to making him an offer today on the AU-07, but there's so little information on any of these 90's models, and something just didn't sit right. For the prices he's asking, I considered flying out to audition in person, just not sure at this point.

Any personal listening recommendations?

The C-2302 and B-2302 Vintage line pieces are architectural and sonic no-expense spared beauties.

S/N ratio of 110 db, and how many pre-amps weigh 58lbs?! VERY Rare and very very pricey, but built to a standard beyond anything else I've ever seen or heard of.

Scott T.

Has anyone actually heard the later 90's models? (I'd even be happy if you know someone who's sister's friend heard one!) I'm just curious whether they're in the same caliber of gear that comprises the "Sansui sound?" Talk about doing an about turn! I came very close to making him an offer today on the AU-07, but there's so little information on any of these 90's models, and something just didn't sit right. For the prices he's asking, I considered flying out to audition in person, just not sure at this point.

Any personal listening recommendations?

I've never heard a 90s Sansui amp. With that said...

An AU-07 "Anniversary"? I'd be jumping on that one in a heartbeat! They sell for Big $$$ in Japan. Like minumum $2300++ or something like that. It may even sell for $2700-3000+. Seen asking prices of $3500, but those were 'asking prices', not auction prices. I have the exact prices for units sold on Yahoo Japan but can't open my notes right now, Desktop PC crashed. It never ends.

It would be almost exactly like an AU-717/919 type 07 amp with that 'deep delicious' amp sound...same exact circuits, only much newer! :thmbsp: Maybe even better with higher quality inside componets! Proably same exact transformers, made my Hasimoto(?) . It would be a really VERY nice serious score!!

The AU-07 "Anniversary" is a serious Sansui collectors amp. 1998 I believe. The other two later models of that 'vintage type series' would be the 1999(?) AU-111 "Vintage" and the 2001(?) AU-111 'G' tube amps (if I got the dates right). All 3 sell for BIG dollars (Yen) in Japan. High demand amps.

If it works right, and wasn't ever plugged into 120V USA voltage, by mistake, 'without' a step down transformer... If it was, damage can result. It's a 100V amp made for use in Japan, I believe. I'm not exactly sure. I don't believe it was an amp for international sales. 90%+ sure it's 100V.

Yeah...If I was you...I'd be making some phone calls and checking things out! :)

That would be an amp that you wouldn't want slipping out of your hands. Nice Amp!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!

Last edited:
I first delved into Sansui with a 7070. I later stepped up to a G-8000. My expectations for the G, were high. I wasn't let down but, that 7070 sure sounded sweet as well and has a lot to offer.

I don't think there are many bad receivers/amps, if any, to be had from Sansui. It's just a matter of what flavor you like and what you can afford. IMHO.:thmbsp:

Au-07 ???

"Love the one your with..":sing:

Ha, yes I agree! The one we have is always the best, and the one we want makes it seem like it no longer exists!

So, to recap my attempts to purchase the AU-07: I trusted my initial impressions that I previously discussed and followed my gut. And along with moral support from bluesky, just decided to let it go.

To make a long story short, it's always my goal to get the seller to spell things out in writing so that I have recourse in the event there's a "he said/she said" discrepancy later on. And as simple as my questions were, the guy never would answer all of them. He acted like he knew it all, but kept contradicting himself and got real pissy when I backed out of the deal early last week.

"His" stuff is currently listed on Audiogon under the name of...well, just do a search for Sansui and you'll see all the most coveted Sansui gear. Then click on the seller, and take a look at what he's selling. You'll see the most coveted gear from every manufacturer. And yet, he only has two sales on Audiogon...for cable.

Today I discovered this AK link from a couple years ago that discusses this exact seller, and his entire m/o:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3415872#post3415872

Not to detract from the discussion at hand, but I didn't want to leave anyone hanging. Will repost everything in a new thread about what to watch out for when buying online. I'm not out to chastise this person who is named in the above link, but I may include the entire discussion between us if I think it will help people avoid being scammed.

I thank everyone for their info and advice. And a big thanks and much gratitude to bluesky for all his info, research and help!!!

And back to the discussion: Even though they're receivers, I've enjoyed the 9090DB in the past, and currently find the 661 to be quite pleasant as well - with the right speakers. I can't speak to the rest of the models, other than what I've read and have been told. It doesn't seem like you can go wrong with any Sansui!

(was just made aware that my avatar doesn't show. will see what I can do about it shortly.)

Ah, Sorry peace train - I am using Chrome here and all I see is "peace train's avatar" in text, with a broken graphic icon.

Switching to IE8 however, I now see the Green Angel too :banana:

My apologies.

Thanks DonQuixote99! No worries John, I just got the search thing straightened out with your help too. (although my laptop actually had been acting up the past couple weeks) Loving AK even more now!!! :banana:

I could not tell which one sound better, the speakers is what you hear and that is what is needed to compare, I bought the B2101 and C2101 because they looked impressive and have been very reliable.:music:

Sansui Saga

I'm a little late to this party, but...
My review at long last of Sansui amps after 5 years of collecting, listening and lurking is too long to post here (2800 words), so I uploaded a pdf to my cat's website at
http://wagthecat.com/suisaga.htm
This method also allows me to tinker with it.
Items discussed: G-9000, CA/BA-3000, CA/BA-F1, AU-11000/(A), AU-919, AU/TU-717, AU-D11 II, AU-555A, TU-9900, TU-666, etc.
Click on "The Sansui Saga" for the text; and on "Central Command" for a photo of the Command Center.
Thanks for everyone's help with this.

I have had au-7700, au-9500, au-719, au-d11II, g9000, 1000a and honestly I can't just pick one and declare it the winner. It really depends on what you're looking for and your tastes. I know that synergy can be an issue, i have some speakers that the au-9500 sounds fabulous on and some that I don't like as well, speakers that the 9500 doesn't work with the 719 or D11 will work with.

I do know that the 9500 has the best low end slam of any amp I've heard, i don't think it's the preamp either, I think it's an incredibly well engineered amplifier. To me it's like the AR9's of amplifiers with the loads-o-nuts bass it has. The g9000 to me just had incredible separation and FM was outstanding. I'd love to hear an 8 someday.

I have had au-7700, au-9500, au-719, au-d11II, g9000, 1000a and honestly I can't just pick one and declare it the winner. It really depends on what you're looking for and your tastes. I know that synergy can be an issue, i have some speakers that the au-9500 sounds fabulous on and some that I don't like as well, speakers that the 9500 doesn't work with the 719 or D11 will work with.

I do know that the 9500 has the best low end slam of any amp I've heard, i don't think it's the preamp either, I think it's an incredibly well engineered amplifier. To me it's like the AR9's of amplifiers with the loads-o-nuts bass it has. The g9000 to me just had incredible separation and FM was outstanding. I'd love to hear an 8 someday.

I have to agree. Much depends on the synergy with your speakers, turntable cartridge, and room acoustics. I have bright horn speakers so I tend to favor the more tube like sound of some of the earlier models. But I have to admit that my G-8000 has incredible separation. In a Led Zeppelin song with a fast drum segment, for example, each drum has a distinct sound that doesn't get drowned out by the other drums. Yet the 8000 still has the characteristic Sansui warmth. So I would vote for the G-9000 or 8000.

Back
Top Bottom