What would you buy tomorrow if you crashed your car today?

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
This is a game I play with myself on a regular basis. I hop on the Carmax app and see what used cars are out there with different features, motors, transmissions, etc, at a certain price-point, usually about $15k. What would you buy tomorrow if you crashed your car today? I drive a Fiat 500, and if I crashed my car tonight I'd go out tomorrow and buy a Dodge Dart.

The case for a failed product

I'm getting wearier of complexity, specifically turbos, direct injection, and CVT/DCT transmissions. The Dodge Dart was pricey compared to what was on the market at the time, and heavier. It wasn't a great value new. Used though, 16's have lost about 50% of their value based on Carmax listings, and dealers tend to undercut Carmax even more. The Dart's naturally aspirated motors still have port injection. Manual transmissions are plentiful. The uConnect infotainment system is highly rated. The Dart has a lot more room and creature comforts than my current shitbox. Weight vs power is an issue, but the chassis is based on the Alfa Romeo Guilietta. The MultiAir system in Chrysler's 2.4 liter Tigershark motor is somewhat complex. It uses hydrualically actuated lifters to control variable intake valves, as opposed to using an intake cam (that's why Multiair motors are all technically SOHC). I'm in forums and groups for Fiat/FCA vehicles, and Multiair failtures are rare.

It's funny to think I'm saying this about an FCA, but for a cheap car, with stout mechanicals, that's what I'd look at. My Fiat 500 is a creaky rattle trap with a broken arm rest and a few odd electrical failures, however the engine and transmission have been stout. To be fair, when I bought it at two years old and 17k miles, it needed a new transmission shortly there after, but I think my car had been somebody else's first manual. 60k miles on the second transmission with nothing but a bad bushing in the linkage a few months back.

I'd also consider leasing a 2019 Kia Forte for a lot of the same reasons. Port injection, available manual trans, no turbo and easily accessible service points under the hood and on the bottom of the car.

You ever play this game with yourself? What would you buy?

I doubt I'll ever do it, but I always wanted a fully restored Ford Falcon like I had in 1976-1978. I paid $300.00 for it and sold it three years later for $300.00. I hardly put a dime into it. It was fun to drive, easy to tune up and I remember it getting half decent gas mileage. What I would probably get (if my trusty 2004 Toyota Tacoma met a gruesome end) is a used Subaru wagon to haul my stuff to the flea market.

I'd look hard for an unmolested and unmodded 2002-2005 manual WRX wagon. Under 100,000 and hopefully well under $10,000.

But I'd most likely get exactly what I have, a 2005-2008 Subaru Outback XT. I'd also consider a late model Taurus SHO.

Short of that, it seems like the Chargers from roughly 2010 are pretty nice for the prices they go for. It's a bit bigger than I usually go for for it has Mercedes underpinnings and they can be had for WAY under $10,000. I saw one in a good color with 60,000-ish miles and minimal wear for $6,000.

For something a bit more pedestrian, the 2008-2011 Camrys are pretty nice. A bit more dated, but more upscale compared to the two newer updates. I'd look for an SE in dark gray and I'd try to find a manual but that wouldn't be quite a deal breaker.

I'd look hard for an unmolested and unmodded 2002-2005 manual WRX wagon. Under 100,000 and hopefully well under $10,000.

But I'd most likely get exactly what I have, a 2005-2008 Subaru Outback XT. I'd also consider a late model Taurus SHO.

Short of that, it seems like the Chargers from roughly 2010 are pretty nice for the prices they go for. It's a bit bigger than I usually go for for it has Mercedes underpinnings and they can be had for WAY under $10,000. I saw one in a good color with 60,000-ish miles for $6,000.

For something a bit more pedestrian, the 2008-2011 Camrys are pretty nice. A bit more dated, but more upscale compared to the two newer updates. I'd try to find a manual but that wouldn't be quite a deal breaker.

One of the cheapest V8s to get into used!

I'm a performance car kinda guy but even the 3.5 V6 is pretty decent. A slight exhaust and poly bushings and sticky tires... not too bad.

Most likely stay with my 2013 ford edge.Maybe one up to the explorer.I haven't had the edge very long (aug 2018) but being my first non truck in 30 years or so im really liking it.Personally I put the edge and its competitors'in the class of modernday stationwagons even though it has awd and fair ground clearance.If I was to go totally out of the box id go with a newer 5 litre mustang.I just turned 27,000 miles on the edge so she is fairly fresh.

Most likely stay with my 2013 ford edge.Maybe one up to the explorer.I haven't had the edge very long (aug 2018) but being my first non truck in 30 years or so im really liking it.Personally I put the edge and its competitors'in the class of modernday stationwagons even though it has awd and fair ground clearance.If I was to go totally out of the box id go with a newer 5 litre mustang.
I can see that. Some vehicles that are considered crossovers literally are just raised wagons/hatchbacks. I’m looking at the Mazda CX3 which is raised Mazda 2, and the Subaru Crosstrek which is a raised Impreza wagon.

Probably a mid 90s full size 1/2 ton pickup. Not horribly particular if its Ferd or a Chubby but it has to be one of the square Fords. Don't need anything fancy either, standard cab and AC are the must-haves, the rest is pretty much a bonus. I go a mile daily, but sometimes you need a truck.

I'm boring, my daily driver is an 01 Chevy Silverado 2wd Excab, I would probably get another one a few years newer. The last time the LED odometer worked the truck had 331,000 KM's (approx 220,000 miles) on it and still going strong now a half a year later.

Funny you mention the Dart - next up on my list is an Alfa Giulia. I've driven both the base model and the Quad, and while the Quad is stunning, it doesn't make it over the lip of my driveway. The base model was quick in it's own right, a ton of fun to drive, and seemed to be a whole lot more practical as a daily driver.

bs

Funny you mention the Dart - next up on my list is an Alfa Giulia. I've driven both the base model and the Quad, and while the Quad is stunning, it doesn't make it over the lip of my driveway. The base model was quick in it's own right, a ton of fun to drive, and seemed to be a whole lot more practical as a daily driver.

bs
I love the Guilia. It just wouldn’t be responsible for me to lease one. Maybe if I made double the money. But that’s a beautiful car.

I would be tempted to try a used Prius. They are showing up at the self serve yards and the knowledge base on the web is excellent. I would also be tempted to buy another 2008 Crown Victoria. I know the car well and it is very inexpensive to maintain.

The Dart and 200 were "killed" for a reason. I drive vehicles that are not necessarily "practical" for the average person--some for work reasons, and others just for fun, but if I had to just go buy a generic "daily driver" on a budget, I'd be all over the Ford 500/Taurus/Fusion (whatever they are calling it these days), or a Subaru Outback wagon. Either that, or an old Benz diesel or Volvo 240--as long as there is no rust, the drivetrain will outlive both you and I combined. They won't get you there fast, but they'll get you there (for another 30 years).

This is a game I play with myself on a regular basis. I hop on the Carmax app and see what used cars are out there with different features, motors, transmissions, etc, at a certain price-point, usually about $15k. What would you buy tomorrow if you crashed your car today? I drive a Fiat 500, and if I crashed my car tonight I'd go out tomorrow and buy a Dodge Dart.

The case for a failed product

I'm getting wearier of complexity, specifically turbos, direct injection, and CVT/DCT transmissions. The Dodge Dart was pricey compared to what was on the market at the time, and heavier. It wasn't a great value new. Used though, 16's have lost about 50% of their value based on Carmax listings, and dealers tend to undercut Carmax even more. The Dart's naturally aspirated motors still have port injection. Manual transmissions are plentiful. The uConnect infotainment system is highly rated. The Dart has a lot more room and creature comforts than my current shitbox. Weight vs power is an issue, but the chassis is based on the Alfa Romeo Guilietta. The MultiAir system in Chrysler's 2.4 liter Tigershark motor is somewhat complex. It uses hydrualically actuated lifters to control variable intake valves, as opposed to using an intake cam (that's why Multiair motors are all technically SOHC). I'm in forums and groups for Fiat/FCA vehicles, and Multiair failtures are rare.

It's funny to think I'm saying this about an FCA, but for a cheap car, with stout mechanicals, that's what I'd look at. My Fiat 500 is a creaky rattle trap with a broken arm rest and a few odd electrical failures, however the engine and transmission have been stout. To be fair, when I bought it at two years old and 17k miles, it needed a new transmission shortly there after, but I think my car had been somebody else's first manual. 60k miles on the second transmission with nothing but a bad bushing in the linkage a few months back.

I'd also consider leasing a 2019 Kia Forte for a lot of the same reasons. Port injection, available manual trans, no turbo and easily accessible service points under the hood and on the bottom of the car.

You ever play this game with yourself? What would you buy?
Don't get a Dart. Just don't. I almost bought one and went with something else, but after the fact I'm REALLY glad I did. Those things are very poor quality according to all the owner reviews I'm reading, as well as the challenges of a friend who owns one.

BTW, If I wrecked one of my cars It would be a mini-van. Finally convinced my wife. It would be for touring the country.

Back
Top Bottom