What would you buy tomorrow if you crashed your car today?

I would probably buy another Caravan/Grand Caravan. I just recently bought the one I have, and I'm surprised how much I like it. Decent power and gas mileage, comfortable, and tons of cargo room. Plus parts are cheap and easy to get, since they made a million of them.

One like the one I have now might be tough to find, though. It came from the factory as a cargo van. No rear seats. Rubber floor mat in the front and a plastic liner (like a bedliner in a pickup) from the front seats to the back. And absolutely no power options or bells and whistles, besides A/C. Just how I like a vehicle to be - plain Jane.:)

Unfortunately Mitsubishi doesn't seem to offer any decent replacement for my old Colt (CJ0 type, 1.6 Comfort, automatic), so I'd like the current Mazda 2 with the 90 hp engine and automatic instead.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I've alway bought GM but I might try out one of those Ford Transit vans, the passenger model.
2017-ford-transit%20wagon-front-angle3_11537_089_480x360.jpg

actually just happened the wife spun out on the freeway during a snowstorm the last week of december hit the middle divider then into the ditch and into a utility box and totaled our 2006 SRX thank god she didnt even get a scratch. now we have a 2019 chevy Equinox Premier 1.5 liter engine AWD, kids are grown and we dont need the third row seat anymore

I dunno if you'all follow the the "derelict" series from ICON ... But if I had the budget, I'd prolly do something with a '53 Hudson Hornet or a 54 Chevy Bel Air. Electric conversion would be nice. New interior, A/C and power steering. Exterior could remain "patina" :)

Nice!

We don't need no stinkin' traction control, launch control, stability control, or any other computerized nanny systems;) Well, the anti-lock brakes are a good idea.

One of the few cars I regret selling. I had a 2001 WS6, Silver with a black interior. 125k miles and it was still tight, didn't leak a drop, and burned no oil. It did need the transmission rebuilt (they all did). The factory synchros were crap and they had other issues (weak shift folks, etc.).

Cheap-ass plastic door panels, center console, etc., but who cares. An honest mid 13-second factory car that could actually turn and stop. Just a few minor mods and it's a high 12-second car. That is fast by anyone's standards.

FWIW, these things would get mileage in the high 20s, like 28 mpg, If you can keep your foot out of it.

The US Gov. brought in stability control as mandatory in around 2011-12 as FWD was killing many people on slippery/icy roads. It will probably be thought of a good idea also given some time!

The US Gov. brought in stability control as mandatory in around 2011-12 as FWD was killing many people on slippery/icy roads. It will probably be thought of a good idea also given some time!

That's supposed to be "tongue-in-cheek" humor. I didn't wear a bicycle helmet, either, and I carried a knife to school.

Stability control and traction control are great ideas for 99+% of street driving.

If you go off road (dirt or paved), you want the ability to turn that stuff off. Ever try and rock a car or truck out of some heavy, muddy, ruts or snow with traction control "on"? It doesn't work out very well.

This thread REALLY hits home. This December/January has SUCKED for me. I have/had a 2004 VW Jetta wagon with the 1.8 turbo, heated seats! As of December 21 (my birthday) the car had over 240,000 miles on it. Going to work that day, the Friday before Christmas, I was hit from behind while sitting at the turn lane at a red light. RATS!!! I was actually trying to get it to 300K miles. Had not abused it, took it to a good dealer for any work done. It was like a family member. The striking driver had fallen asleep in his large pick-up truck and hit the guy behind me. Both ends of his car were ruined. So Took it to body shop. Estimate of $1600 bucks. Got paperwork yesterday from my insurance company saying the body shop found lots more damage, so they totaled the car. I got $2,470.00 for it. Went today to get tag(weirdly, one tag was missing off the front, will tell the cops about it.) Now it's off to the local CarMax to see if I can get another VW. Been a VW driver since 1982. Maybe CC, or one of the later Jetta/Golf Wagons. Of course my ultimate car would be a SL55 AMG........ just sayin.

Maybe buy it back, as it will go to auction as likely you can't reverse the payout you received. I bet the damage isn't that bad and you could patch it up cheaply and get 400K.

I like VWs but we had horrific experience with the wife's new 1999 Jetta. 48 month lease and it was in the shop 12 times! Granted, it was a new design.

I was tempted by a 2004 R32 in about 2007 or 2008 but ended up going in a different direction.

The Corvette Stingray would be high on my list ,twice this winter I came close to pulling the trigger but something would have to be parked outdoors to make garage space ,if not a new Stingray then my next choice would be a 1969 AMC AMX 390 dual quad go package Corvette Killer ,selling that car as a young man still bothers me .

The Corvette Stingray would be high on my list ,twice this winter I came close to pulling the trigger but something would have to be parked outdoors to make garage space ,if not a new Stingray then my next choice would be a 1969 AMC AMX 390 dual quad go package Corvette Killer ,selling that car as a young man still bothers me .
Mine didn't have the twin quad. AMC set the 390 up with Edelbrock, Holly 850, Accel, Hooker, Crane, T10 close, Hurst Super, and 3.90 Hotchkiss. I don't remember seeing a Go-Pac sticker. Fun car. A bit squirrelly but fast.

Mine didn't have the twin quad. AMC set the 390 up with Edelbrock, Holly 850, Accel, Hooker, Crane, T10 close, Hurst Super, and 3.90 Hotchkiss. I don't remember seeing a Go-Pac sticker. Fun car. A bit squirrelly but fast.

AMC was kinda squirelly with the go package ,as far as I can remember after we bought the 390 4 speed the dealer would offer the go package install in house at the service center ,I bought mine in 72 so it already had dual carbs & headers I was told we're installed by the local AMC dealerships speed shop ,my best memories were made in that car .

As the commercial said.-- AMC will build it anyway you want it--.
All that stuff was on the invoice but not the build sheet.
The Dealers had performance package details and got the parts straight from AMC. Shipped in the truck with the car. A two day dealer install in my case.
That car needed slicks from jump. And they should have put the Hays clutch in from the start. But they covered it.
And mine had A/C.

If I had a totalled car and had to replace it, I'd likely buy a 2000-2002 Ford Taurus SE or SES station wagon and buy the best I could find. That or a small van. If we still have the 2002 Saturn L 200 Sedan, I'd get hand controls on it, and drive that (mom's car)

If I had to replace one of my Toyotas I would get another Toyota. Its been 27 years now since my 1st one and only had one issue under 100K and one issue over 100k. Two mechanical issues in 27 years is not bad at all, an alternator and a oil hose. I usually get another once they hit around 140K and they are still running very good at that mileage. I have had cooler cars to be seen in but I just love my minivan, seriously though.

Back
Top Bottom