What would you choose for ALL USA made system?

Phototone

For many years I had and thoroughly enjoyed (and still own it all) a totally "made in USA" sound system, and I was pretty smug about it, when there was so much import stuff available. Now I'm not saying I had the "Best" system, but it was, and still is very good sounding.

Here is what I have..not all in use at this moment, as I have lots of stuff:

All purchased NEW by me when the equipment was current:

Macintosh MA6100 Integrated Amp
Klipsch Heresy Speakers
Harmon/Kardon Rabco ST-7 turntable
Micro Acoustics MA 2002 phono cart.
Stanton 681EEE phono Cart.
various Ampex R2R tape decks. (consumer models)

What I am now using:
Sherwood S3300 tuner
Sherwood S9600 integrated amp
Bozak Symphonys
Empire 598
ADC XLM II Super cartridge
Koss ESP9b headphones
Only import in the current system is the Philips r2r made in Europe

I could sub in my McIntosh System or the Philips Lab Series in lieu of the Sherwoods.

For an American made cassette deck, get an Advent 201. Large Advents for speakers. McIntosh MAC 1900 receiver. McIntosh MCD 7000 CD Player (US made except for the Philips CDM Transport.) AR XA turntable with Stanton 681 EEE-S II cartridge and an Ampex F44 Fine Line open reel.

Not all USA but enough to Listen to tunes.
Soundcraftsmen pre amp, amp, tuner, Phase Linear Noise Reduction and Infinity speakers.

The Tape Deck and RTR are Japanese and the TT is German

Most of my gear is made in the USA. My tonearm (some of my cartridges), cassette decks, CD/DVD player's and tuner are not. My electronic crossover is made in Canada (I believe). That's almost in the US.

Mine is.

Crown PSL-2 Preamplifier

Crown PFM-3 Tuner

Crown PS-400 Power Amplifier

JBL 4311 Speakers

dbx 3bx expander

Soundcraftsman EQ

Crown SX824 RTR

Edited for better gear...lol!

Manley Stingray II
DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 9's
Artemis Labs SA-1 Turntable and TA-1 tonearm
Artemis Labs PL-1 phono pre amp
Audio Research CD5
All Cardas wiring

Last edited:
H.H.Scott 233 int amp tube
H.H.Scott 312 tuner hybrid
past that I'm Japanese
Looking for a vintage table to go with the system But not really looking US made. But I could be.

Mac and Martin Logan. That includes two sources, tuner and CD. The turntable is Scottish, although it has a US made Shure cartridge. The reel to reel is a Swiss brand, but made in Germany I believe.

The other system is mostly Japanese, although it has US designed and built speakers (using Danish drivers).

Turntable: AR ES101
Speakers: AR9LSi
Pre-amp:SAE 2900
Power-amp: SAE 2600
Cassette Deck: SAE C102
Cd Player: SAE D102

As you can see I really like SAE. :D

1971 - 1976 Heathkit AR-29, AA-29, AJ-29
1976 BIC 980 for CD-4
1977 BIC 1000 for stereo and matrix quad
Shure V15 Type III, Empire 2000E/III, Empire 2000Z, Stanton 681EEE, Pickering XV-15 625E
Pickering XUV-4500Q
1975 - 1976 Advent Loudspeakers - 4 pair in quadraphonic configuration - stacked

OK, the demodulators are Japanese but oh well.

Doug

Last edited:
I think you'd have to go way far back to find a "totally made in the USA" audio product. Even American brands that were mostly built in the USA in the 60's were already using some imported parts (prior to the rise of Japan/China/Korea, from European suppliers). Maybe if you went back to the 1920's or 30's...

I think McIntosh would be a "decent" all USA proposition. I'm not sure if they made TTs though.

my thought

I think you'd have to go way far back to find a "totally made in the USA" audio product. Even American brands that were mostly built in the USA in the 60's were already using some imported parts (prior to the rise of Japan/China/Korea, from European suppliers). Maybe if you went back to the 1920's or 30's...

+1, Did America "make" all the parts at one time?

I loved the line in "Armaggedon" where the Russian character is "fixing" the American shuttle by beating on it with a club and explaining.
"Russian technology, American technology, all made in Tiawan!"

VPI Scout
Mac C41 pre
Krell FPB300 power
Westlake BBSM-10 monitors

alternate 1:
HK Citation V
Altec 9849 monitors

alternate 2:
Altec 1569A's
Altec 604-8G monitors

I am curious. I am wondering of the posters so far how many chose their gear BECAUSE it was USA, not for other reasons (such as sound). In my own system, it is PREDOMINANTLY Japanese, simply because I feel they do it better. I understand the patriotic part of it (my Bryston and Paradigms are Canadian, as I) but I think when it boils down to it I am reminded of used cars: the Japanese hold value longer.

A member here (Suzuki) who is from Japan gave a link to a Japanese site that had lots of gear that never made it to these shores, which is a pity. When I examine my Japanese gear for build quality, parts selection, and overall esthetics, I am amazed that frankly there is competition.

I am not discounting that there are Canadian, English or American companies that can do it to a top level as well, but it seems to me that ON THE WHOLE, the Japanese gear is a "bit better". Interesting in that for me, vintage Mac, Krell or Mark Levinson et al was never on the radar.

I am curious. I am wondering of the posters so far how many chose their gear BECAUSE it was USA, not for other reasons (such as sound). In my own system, it is PREDOMINANTLY Japanese, simply because I feel they do it better. I understand the patriotic part of it (my Bryston and Paradigms are Canadian, as I) but I think when it boils down to it I am reminded of used cars: the Japanese hold value longer.

A member here (Suzuki) who is from Japan gave a link to a Japanese site that had lots of gear that never made it to these shores, which is a pity. When I examine my Japanese gear for build quality, parts selection, and overall esthetics, I am amazed that frankly there is competition.

I am not discounting that there are Canadian, English or American companies that can do it to a top level as well, but it seems to me that ON THE WHOLE, the Japanese gear is a "bit better". Interesting in that for me, vintage Mac, Krell or Mark Levinson et al was never on the radar.

My current system is all made in the USA (Fisher, Dynaco, VPI, DB-systems phono pre and US made Sony speakers. It was chosen because out of my audio collection, this group of things sounded best together. My bedroom system has a Japanese turntable, British CD player, Japanese pre and power and British speakers...it sounds good, too. I think everybody can make great gear, really. Most people are the same or similar all over the world when i meet them...and many of them like listening to music. Some of that Japanese home-market gear looks amazing, though. I wish they had or would export more of it.

I grew up in the period where the US was at the height of its audio industry position and got out of the business when it was apparent the US was being pushed out. While my main system for decades was not picked based on being US since it contained US, German and Swiss pieces, my collector interest is more focused on US made pieces but not exclusively. Some of the Japanese pieces are right up there in terms of quality and sound.

Back
Top Bottom