What would you choose for ALL USA made system?

The K.I.S.S. principle. Don't need to learn a new UI for no apparent benefit.

Apple music apps and backups want AAC. Why not?
Because I do FLAC, and even though I can transcode with db, I don't really want to, lol.

So do many of us. We just object to having to DL an APP to play what are bog standard files. Only Apple requires this. That's because Apple is the epitome of the NIH (not invented here) principle.
Ah, so it's an anti-Apple thing. Got it.

It's not anti Apple it's anti closed systems.
Still not jiving with me saying that smart phones can play FLAC.

Call it closed, but they can still play the files. Having to use an app to do it truly isn't a small deal. We all use apps for all kinds of stuff that isn't included on devices out of the box.

FLAC is bog standard for us, but it sure ain't with the general public.

Still not jiving with me saying that smart phones can play FLAC.

Call it closed, but they can still play the files. Having to use an app to do it truly isn't a small deal. We all use apps for all kinds of stuff that isn't included on devices out of the box.

FLAC is bog standard for us, but it sure ain't with the general public.

What you're ignoring is that Android phones can play FLAC files out of the box. DL'ing an app is not necessary. I'm sure that just about any poster could download an app for playing FLAC files. The real question is why should anyone have to do so?

You are hereby awarded a gold star!
View attachment 1187254
Meh. I took a single .ape file with a .cue file, split it up, turned it/them into FLAC with db, and tagged it to my liking with MP3Tag this morning. I deserve at least three.

Oh, and I'm going to fire it up out in the garage via FileBrowser on an old ios device.

What you're ignoring is that Android phones can play FLAC files out of the box. DL'ing an app is not necessary.
I'm not ignoring it at all.
I'm saying that it's not a big deal to hit the DL button on an app to get a device to do something I want it to do.

I'm not ignoring it at all.
I'm saying that it's not a big deal hit the DL button on an app to get a device to do something I want it to do.

That you have to DL an App to play FLAC files is sufficient reason to turn me off. Apple is wedded to the NIH principle regardless of anyone/anything else.

FWIW: What made Apple a big seller in the late 80's and early 90's was their policy of giving a free Apple for every one purchased if you were an educational institution. That should give you an idea how much profit Apple made on each computer then and now. It's no different with their phones. No, I'm not complaining about their prices. I'm complaining about their closed system.

No, I have an Android phone. However, there are several sites where I can download an app. With Apple that's not happening.

FWIW: I run Linux on a PC that I use for ripping vinyl.

That you have to DL an App to play FLAC files is sufficient reason to turn me off. Apple is wedded to the NIH principle regardless of anyone/anything else.

FWIW: What made Apple a big seller in the late 80's and early 90's was their policy of giving a free Apple for every one purchased if you were an educational institution. That should give you an idea how much profit Apple made on each computer then and now. It's no different with their phones. No, I'm not complaining about their prices. I'm complaining about their closed system.
That you are turned off by the way they do things(and I don't disagree if somebody is turned off, I see both sides to the whole 'droid/ios thing) doesn't mean they don't play FLAC.
Bitching about needing to DL an app to do it, though?

Seriously, the $7 I spent on FileBrowser is one of the best purchases I've ever made for music listening. And trust me, if android had one that worked as well for me needs when it came to FLAC I would have gone that way a few years back. I've got a tablet here that doesn't get much use, and I'd love to have an app for it that does what FB does.

I don't need anything like that. The included play music app on my Samsung Galaxy plays everything I throw at it.

I don't need anything like that. The included play music app on my Samsung Galaxy plays everything I throw at it.
And the player on my Acer tablet didn't do it the way I wanted. So I looked elsewhere, and found what I wanted.

What is good for YOU, might not be for everybody else. Make sense?

That you could look elsewhere for your tablet and find what you wanted supports my point. There are plenty of free choices for Android phones. I can't say the same about Apple phones. You're restricted to what's available on the App Store.

Isn't it kind of a given that smart phones these days do FLAC?
I don’t pay attention to phones. Was in the cell tower building business from 88 until last year. My last, current & next will be my wife’s castoff iPhone n-1. Still doing iPods here.

That you could look elsewhere for your tablet and find what you wanted supports my point. There are plenty of free choices for Android phones. I can't say the same about Apple phones. You're restricted to what's available on the App Store.
I have Android, iOS, Linux MacOS and Windows systems all in nearly continuous use. True, the Linux system isn't able to run Microsoft Office or the Adobe suite, but I've got Windows and MacOS for that and I wouldn't run server software on anything but Linux. Outside of that, they're all pretty much the same -- outside of obvious mobile vs desktop distinctions, of course -- and downloading an app from an app store vs some Web site is a non-distinction. It's nice to have a big toolbox with a variety of capable tools.

and I wouldn't run server software on anything but Linux.
Wholeheartedly agree for serious business use. While some of my company's customers run Win servers, we encourage the use of Red Hat.

It also works great for renderers like the microRendu and RPi based piCorePlayer. Low overhead and simplicity.

Sanders electrostatics speakers are made in the USA. He makes Magtech amplifiers, too. Not that I wish to make country of origin a significant factor in buying hi-fidelity equipment. It's funny how this old thread turned into a snot-stew phone debate.

Sanders electrostatics speakers are made in the USA. He makes Magtech amplifiers, too. Not that I wish to make country of origin a significant factor in buying hi-fidelity equipment. It's funny how this old thread turned into a snot-stew phone debate.

Well, if the thread is still about audio, about 10 years ago I did purposely put together a system made up entirely of products from American companies. It was when President George W. Bush had his economic stimulus act, and some pieces of my formerly all-Linn system were breaking down due to age and lack of replacement parts. My plan was to use the lower-end products from American companies and have a system with a different set of strengths than the Linn gear, something that might give me some of that stereo imaging I had heard about. I ended up with:

Well Tempered Record Player from Stanalog (this was just prior to Bill Firebaugh re-launching Well Tempered with the Amadeus)
Grado's cheapest wood body cartridge, the Statement Platinum1
Grado's only phono stage, the PH-1
Audio by Van Alstine OmegaStar preamp (which I had already purchased to replace a dead Linn LK1)
Audio by Van Alstine Insight 240 power amp (I actually bought an OmegaStar amp, but AVA offered a free upgrade to the new Insight line)
Vandersteen 1C speakers
Grado RA1 headphone amp
Koss Pro4AA headphones (which I've used since the 1970's)

Back
Top Bottom