What would you do Kappa 8?

tuffstuff1

I just landed a second McIntosh MC-2500 and would like your opion for my Kappa 8. Would you run the amps as monoblocks or bi-amped? I am thinking bi-amped would give more control top to bottom, but better synergy as bridged mono blocks. More power 1000 WPC as mono block. I suppose just try it either way, but thought you Infinity gurus can give me some first hand experience. I wish these were 9's but I only have 8's.

Others may disagree, but I'd run them as monoblocks. I tried passive biamping of my Kappa 8s and couldn't hear a difference. Although, I'm not sure if you'll notice any difference by doubling the power - that's only 3dB more.

Of course, it won't cost you anything to try it all three ways and see if any is better than the others.

Since the amplifiers have output transformers, wouldn't the load on the amp be the same no matter what impedance is used?

Since the amplifiers have output transformers, wouldn't the load on the amp be the same no matter what impedance is used?

The 2500 has autoformers. Power output is the same regardless of which tap is used. Bi amp or mono bridge...either way shouldn't be a problem. The 2500 is a beast of an amp.

I would try them both ways. I tried it both ways on my 9s. Bi amping was best for me. Let us know which way u go and some pics when u get a chance.

I always found sound wise my Kappa 8's sounded best with a single amp powering everything, I tried several amps, Carver, Adcom doing the biamp thing and they never sounded good or as good as a single dedicated amp.

My oldest son received them 2 years ago for Christmas along with all the gear needed to run them "Emotiva" and he loves them, I forget which emo amp it is, only 200 watts max. I'm always pushing him to upgrade and he's like Dad, they sound awesome with what you gave me, why should I change anything?

Maybe I was just doing it wrong, LOL wouldn't be the first time. Regardless congrats on the new McIntosh, bet they sound awesome !

Wow! Nice amps!

Try horizontal and vertical bi amping then try the mono bloc set up. Your ears will tell you what you need to know. I tried it with a pair of MC2200 and QLS-1, I settled on mono blocks, YMMV.

I would bi amp. Easier load on the amplifiers too. Ultimately test each and decide for yourself.
That's true IF you have an external crossover, otherwise the amps will amplify all frequencies fed to them.

Back
Top Bottom