What would you do?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Bryland, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Bryland

Bryland New Member

I am in the process of selling of my current gear and will be purchasing McIntosh. I will have about 5k to invest. Not particularly set on a integrated or seperates. Would like to stay somewhat modern since I do need a remote. Also no tubes except maybe the preamp. I do like the sound of tubes but this system will be in the living room and used 8-10 hours a day. I am looking at a few integrates, the 6500, 6600, 6700, maybe others. For seperates I’m eye balling right now online a MC150/C38 combo at 3,000$ and a MC252/C41 combo at 5,000$. Also think I may wait till I can get a hold of a MC202. The MC252 I like just not sure about a 95lb amplifier. Seems like asking for trouble getting it in and out of the rack to me, or handling it at all really. If I find a MC202 that would free up the budget to a lot more preamps than the MC252 as well. The C38/MC150 I like price but do like the cosmetics of the newer components better. Anyways, I am really curious what all you guys think? What options am I missing that I should consider?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would be looking at a C38/MC152 combination. The MC152 is a newer version and the C38 would probably work well with the newer amp. You would be in the $5000 ballpark.

3. Chubba

Chubba Well-Known Member

Those all seem like very good options.The MC-252 is a great sounding amp and has a shallow chasis depth.I am sure the C-41 is a very good pre amp as well.Good luck with your choices.Cheers

4. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

You might want to talk to the folks at Audio Classics. Their B1 used gear is like new and you have the piece of mind of getting great units that work right plus excellent support. Tell them what you're looking for / wanting to do and see what they say. I've bought a number of "B1's" from them and all have worked out really well. Just my 2c's, YMMV. In any case good luck whichever way you go.

Archguy likes this.
  5. Bryland

Bryland New Member

Anyone who’s heard both the MC152 and the MC252 I would love to hear your impression of the difference when it comes to sound quality.

6. Bryland

Bryland New Member

I will likely go through Audio Classics. I do think they offer a great value with the service and warranty they provide. I still check Audiogon though since Audio Classics doesn’t always have what I’m looking for in stock. Like a mc202, wish I could find one of those they seem like they don’t come around all that often.

7. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

There is something special about the Quad balanced amps that I like. If you have fairly efficient speakers the 352 might be a choice. You can always drive an 8 ohm speaker from the 2 or 4 ohm tap if you want to cut down the power available to the speakers. This also gives an apparent increase in damping factor if you have to run longer speaker lines. I'm not fond of the newer pre-amps because of their lack of flexibility. But if all you are going to do is play LP's, CD's and stream, there are many options that will satisfy. If you are going to make CD copies, and your own program CD's for parties etc, It might be best to use a computer for that chore. If your old fashion like I am and like to use processors and equalizers to tune up your programs, then I would choose the C-40. Its the most flexible pre-amp Mac ever made. If you want a MC input and tubes a C-22 III, for SS and MC add a MP 100 to the C-40 later on. If 5 graphic controls are not enough, by a separate program equalizer. Mac still hasn't figured out that you need both a 4.5 KHZ and 10 Khz controls on their pre-amps. If you want a warmer phono section you want a C-2200. If you want a dryer sound a MC MC162 or MC 7200 with out autoformers as I remember. Give Steve Rowell a call at Audio Classics and mention my name. He'll charge you double!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. Chubba

Chubba Well-Known Member

I think the MC-152 would be a great choice depending on your speakers and listening levels.I had a MC-302 for two months and liked it a lot but chose to stick with the 252.I thought both sounded very good.

9. Searing75

Searing75 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Speakers?

10. willie-aspen

willie-aspen AK Subscriber Subscriber

Since the OP said he wants a remote, you can eliminate the C40. Also, I 'm pretty sure he would blow his budget going for a C-22.

I've seen the MC150/C38 combo the OP is talking about. The guy is saying the MC150 was NOS as of 6 moths ago and he seems to want a premium for it. Also, he is in Florida and only offering local pickup. The OP is pretty far away for that.

But agree with @Searing75, what speakers is the OP planning to use? Also, how big is his room? This will tell us something about how much power he might need.

11. jayvis

jayvis Well-Known Member

I've owned an MC252 for 6 years and haven't found any reason to upgrade. I use it in a 20'W x 16'D room with 8' ceiling and 1 watt fills it with sound (plenty of power to spare). I did try an MC152 in my system when a good friend was evaluating amps. Sound signature is basically the same but the MC252 is able to dig out the lower frequencies much easier and sounded more dynamic. My MC252 ran cooler and I think the extra 100 watts helps in that area while also providing more flexibility with future speaker choices. Both are great choices depending on your needs.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

12. Bryland

Bryland New Member

Thanks for all the responses. My speakers are Totem Forest. Room is 11x24. I realized my rack really only has room for a MC252, so that kinda solved the amp dilemma.

I won’t have a lot in the budget for a preamp though. Right now I am looking at a C15 and a D100/150. Anybody have any opinions on either option? The D100/D150 would be my only preamp. I only have digital sources so I would be ok there. Just not sure about not being able to upgrade my DAC without getting a new preamp. Also not sure if the variable outputs and volume control are up to par with a traditional preamp. I would love a C48 or C50 but they are just too far out of the budget. I missed the c41 that I was looking at, and I realized the C38 has an attached power cord so I passed on that. That’s how I ended up looking at the C15 and D100/150.

13. stahle

stahle New Member

I have owned a C15 for a couple of years now and find that it is a fine preamp. Obviously it won't compare to one of the newer McIntosh preamps, but it does a good job.

For what it's worth, a little over a year ago I had the chance to borrow a D100 for a three day weekend. I tried it with my system first by replacing the C15 and using the D100 as a preamp because my plan was that if it sounded better than my current setup, I would sell the C15 and buy the D100. Unfortunately, I found that the sound was rather sterile, it was like the life had been taken out of the music. I gave it a couple of days just to be sure but I never came around to liking it. I then reintroduced the C15 and connected the D100 to it as a DAC only. In this configuration, the system sounded great, but since I already had a DAC (which does not have a variable output and thus requires a preamp), I didn't purchase the D100.

14. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Out of curiosity, why does an attached power cord disqualify the very capable C38?