What would you invest $10k in right now?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by toxcrusadr, Jul 7, 2018.

1. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Here in California? A couple month's health insurance premium for wifey and maybe a tank of gas.

4-2-7, Mr Creosote and Todd Dodds like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Nightcleaner

Nightcleaner Active Member

i put more than 10k into premium bonds in the UK im considering moving Two ISA out of Nat-west bank as the interest in abysmal into Premium bonds as well

3. PAGS

PAGS AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Wellington fund mentioned above might be a good option for say 50% of the amount. Consider stacking CDs with the remaining 50%. Or stacking CDs for the full amount; zero risk.

With interest rates rising, I wouldn't recommend bonds or bond funds.

Avoid hard assets, gold and silver. Not terribly liquid and there are storage issues to contend with. Also, tansaction costs can be high.

You won't get much real estate with $10k, and it's more illiquid than gold and silver.

A fee-based financial planner is pretty much out of the question with only $10k to invest. The best you'll be able to do is a "financial advisor" at the local bank branch who likely would recommend a commission- or high fee-based product.

Absolutely avoid any investment that lacks regulatory oversight (such as a private placement or a private lending "opportunity") and crypto currency (e.g., Bitcoin).

Finally, as noted above, take any investment advice you get on an audio forum (including mine :D) with a BIG grain of salt.

stish likes this.
  4. Todd Dodds

Todd Dodds AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, big speakers ARE NOT an investment.

5. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Pork bellies? Can't go wrong with BACON!

My stocks are mostly small cap and internationals. Truth be told, haven't changed the mix for years and mostly ignoring it, but last I checked, I had more money than I'll probably ever know what to do with.

6. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Very sage advice. I do the same.

Bill Ferris likes this.

7. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

@BillFerris thanks so much, that's a great setup. If I may ask, since you posted figures, what do those excellent services from an experienced account manager cost per year? Is it based on percentage of earnings or something else?

PAGS, loved your post too, I already was doing or not doing a lot of that. Would never invest in crypto, because, as Warren Buffett says, I just don't understand it well enough. We do have some metals and looking to diversify.

One question for you (or anyone): I don't understand how bonds interact with interest rates very well and will take your word on this. But with respect to stocks, If interest rates are rising, doesn't that make stocks go down too? I thought when borrowing money was cheap and the market was rising, people borrow and invest in stocks and come out ahead, or they delay paying back cheap debt and invest their income in the market. But when interest rates rise, the opposite happens and stocks go down. So is it also not a good time to buy stock? Because of not only the sharp rise in the market but increasing interest rates. Someone explain if I'm wrong. I know I can invest in small chunks and average out the market's volatility. Should I start now or wait?

We do have more than $10k here, but under $200k. Was just looking for general advice and there's a lot of good stuff here in everyone's posts.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  8. sKiZo

Pork bellies are up 13% in the time we've been talking here ... just sayin' eh ... ;-}

9. Mr Creosote

Mr Creosote Active Member

I'm with usedto..

10. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

toxcrusadr, I really don`t know how much, or even how my FA charges me !!

I`m on a 6 figure tax free medical malpractice lawsuit awarded annuity that started in 1985, and my current stock portfolio is about me being a "Steward" out of my admiration and respect for my father`s efforts to build it to the level it was up to the time of his death.
    And that`s what it was, and I felt that`s what it should be, and so was reinvested it that way, and do not touch it.

My life since 1975 has been totally about quality audio, and learning how to properly fix, maintain, and use it, whether live, or reproducing it.
    And my personal economics have seem to always fall in place, and were rarely a problem in my adult life, but nobody, outside my inheritance gave me anything, and my comfortable financial situation would be unaltered even if I lost every penny in my portfolio, as I keep them separate.
    He(my father) was receiving generous monthly dividends from it, along with his retirement from Southern Bell after 37 years service as a Exec. Inventory & Cost`s Engineer + SS.

I`m sorry that I can`t be helpful in this respect for you toxcrusadr.

I`m sure that there are educated, and savvy folks on this site who can suggest, guide, and help you in this matter.

4-2-7 likes this.
  11. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

The Stock Market keeps me up at night...……..
    When my Mother passed in Jan. of 2017 I inherited Boeing stock. So far, I've been damn lucky. All of 2017 and some of 2018 that stock took-off like a jet airliner, but it's the Stock Market and we all know what can happen to stocks.
    … and I found out, In a resent ten day period my Boeing stock took a nose dive of minus $42,000 in total value. It's slowly gaining altitude again and hopefully it'll reach it's predicated altitude and hold course. If it does reach that prediction I'll be the one asking for invest advice here.

Investing money can be a slippery slope. I wish you all the luck in finding the proper way to invest sir.

12. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

I inherited Apple stock in 2012 - before the 7 to 1 split. How sweet it is!

13. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Silver is low right now and precious metal traders are speculating some shenanigans are keeping it low. It's something that needs to be looked at because I can't imagine it getting any lower. When the stock market finally makes its "correction", silver and gold will go up fast.
    Investors used to have a lot of options. Banks offered all sorts of ways to invest. Since inflation and the interest rate tanked (how many of us old timers would of ever thought mortgage rates would dip below 8%?) the only game in town to invest small sums is the stock market and metal. When one goes down the other goes up.
    I have a jaded view of the stock market, it seems that the deck is stacked against Harry Homeowner. Someone who puts forth a lot of effort can do well, the overlarge Joe who doesn't study the goings-on every day seems to take it in the shorts very often. The big recession we had ten years ago was brought on by a few money-changers and forces that were totally ignored by people I can't speak of. Not a whole lot has changed in the US since then, other than the economy. Where I am going is the stock market IMO can be manipulated rather easily, sometimes just by words. Scares the hell out of me.

14. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

Well, there's always Warren Buffet's advice: put it in a low-fee fund that tracks the S&P 500 and leave it alone.

Or, for something completely different: Rally Rd. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/14/start-up-app-lets-you-buy-stock-in-a-ferrari.html

Lets you invest in collectible vehicles in a syndicated manner... they buy the cars and store them - what could go wrong? Seriously though, if you know more about cars than you do the market, not a horrible place to park a few thousand you can afford to lose. That stuff appreciates like crazy on the uptrends, just have to watch out for buying at the top of a particular trend peak.

John

15. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

16. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

That was a chart of the price action since 2001 of a gas pipeline stock ETP known a Master Limited Partnership(MLP).
    Right at its recent price level it is paying a 11+% dividend.
    As you can see its stock is at major lows and has skyrocketed a couple of times when the sector gets hot.
    If you bought in 2001 and didn't sell( although one would have had major capitol gains) you would have collected an annual dividend of 11% for the last 17 years.
    Of course it could go to zero, theoretically like many stocks have
    and you could stay in cash;)

17. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

$10k is nothing worth sweating.
    I haven't looked lately, but if CDs are starting to amount to any thing, I'd go there and let it sit safe and avoid the worry.
    I used to play staggered CDs but I was playing with more that 10K so I could pick up a collection of fair sized ones.
    With the wonderful 2008-2016 financial years, I gave up CDs and invested in real estate.

I tend to buy the dip.
    Brexit gave me a shot at some stock I felt good about.
    That was a great snag.
    I scored some real estate due to the housing collapse.
    That was a real whacky ride. There is big money playing the real estate game and many funny things going on that are not common knowledge.
    Insider trading can describe what's going on there.
    I know there is funny business. I spoke to the mortgage holder and they could not find any records of the property I was chasing and I had intimate details.
    I watch the county records and saw them transfer the property to a company.
    A little Google showed me the receiving company was a sub branch of the mortgage holder.
    I watched a lot of funny business happen on that property.
    Real estate is very sketchy.

Years of watching the stock market on companies I was intimate with showed me that stock price moves are ridiculous
    There are a lot of wild reactions for no good reason.
    If you are not a "player", and 10K is not enough, then going long in the market on really solid companies appears to be the only way to really do well.

Diversify is the other solid game but 10k isn't enough.

I question financial planners as a short term system. I would think if they knew anything, they would be doing the short term plays and getting rich.

wlhd1610 likes this.
  18. exhippy

I keep hearing a stock split is in the near future for Boeing, but who knows.

The stock I inherited originated from my Grandfather who, at the last minute decided he wanted to help the war effort, but he was to old to join the military (he was a WW1 vet.) He moved from Tulsa to St. Louis to work for MacDonnell Aircraft. He retired in 1962 and part of the retirement plan was company stock.
    He passed-away in 1977 leaving the stock to mom&dad. My mom was the last to pass-away in 2017 and now it's in my hands.

Funny, that stock went through some changes in over 56 years. 4 different family members and 3 company ownerships-
    MacDonnell / MacDonnell-Douglas / Boeing. Talk about long term investment!

Bill Ferris likes this.
  19. exhippy

Wish my dad would have bought a 1967, 427, 4-speed (tanker) Corvette.

He worked (summer months) at the Fisher Body Div. on Union Blvd., North St. Louis assembly plant.
    Up-until the early 1980's that was the Corvette assembly also.
    He was a high school teacher and GM use to hire part time summer help. GM loved hiring teachers during their off time. They considered teachers to be very reliable.
    We went to church (every Sunday) and passed the GM plant. I recall a very large parking lot with fresh Corvettes parked outside. One Sunday morning dad was talking about buying a new car (GM, of course!) I said, how about a new Corvette! (with excitement) Dad laughs and says, they only hold two people and at around $6,000 dollars I don't make enough money, no way son!

$6,000 in the mid to late 1960's. Today, a 'prime' unrestored example 1967 (as stated above) give-or-take, six figures+

20. sKiZo

Boing stock? I hear that has it's ups and downs ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

exhippy, Bill Ferris and tubed like this.