What would you invest $10k in right now?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by toxcrusadr, Jul 7, 2018.

1. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Yes, the weapons industry's(Boeing) been on fire.
    Government contracts galore.
    War$ abound.

Bill Ferris likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Maybe because I work in the industry, know a little about the field and have a view of the field, I think the next sudden jump is going to happen in the computer arena.

The buzz words are big data, AI, cloud, server farms.

I worked at some of the major players in those areas and gathered some stock. It’s looking good and I’m sitting tight. They’re aiming at some things that sooner or later are going to cause some big changes.

The trick part now is all the stock is at or near all time highs. Buying in now will take some heavy coin.

3. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

^^^^^^^^
    Heavy coin, big balls, major hubris and dumb luck;)

4. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, the last time I tried to buy into tech stocks was at the height of that early 2000s bubble. A mutual fund co. I was invested in started a new tech fund. Luckily I didn't invest much, but by the time I sold it years later, it was worth 1/3 of what I had put in, and that included reinvested dividends!

But, heck, maybe I should buy into Yahoo or something. :rflmao:

As for market fluctuations...Stocks go up and down but I don't watch much unless I'm thinking of buying or selling.

[​IMG]

BF, I mentioned earlier that it's considerably more than $10k, I just pulled that out of the air for discussion. :biggrin:

5. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

Yes, it's been up & down for a few months now, but the bottom line it's up compared to 2016 and earlier. One of the top performing Blue Chip stocks on the market. Lets just say my quarterly dividends have more than doubled.
    Fingers crossed for that predicted (by several) of $400.00 a share. We've come close, $374. I believe. As of this writing, $340.
    Most rate Boeing as a buy. Several as a hold. This I like to see...…...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

Look at their commercial jet liner orders. Then you'll see why the increase in my stock.

tubed likes this.

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Super Member

My savings is at Ally - easy 1.65% at the moment. No penalty CDs are above 2% - very liquid. I'd recommend you visit Bogleheads.org for best advice.

As per Bogleheads - here is a 3% checking account - but you will likely have to do a bunch of stuff to get the 3%.

https://www.lmcu.org/personal/banking/checking-accounts/

Anyhow - check out bogleheads.org - they rock.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Erik Tracy likes this.
  8. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

I hope it doubles from here, exhippy!

exhippy and Bill Ferris like this.
  9. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

This market is so easy a monkey could do it;)
    [​IMG]

10. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Hey tox, what I started out with my guy was utilities, municipal bonds, for tax free reasons..
    Not the greatest rate returns, but, but pretty safe, as usually utilities don`t go down, and most cities don`t default by bankruptcy.

So, for me, and my FA, while we were feeling each other out, and the market, it seemed a safe starter for my Stewardship.

Back in the day my father would check the local property tax rolls to see who was behind in their property taxes.
    And if the properties were behind he would buy/pay their delinquent back taxes after checking out the property.

The sale of the property, when it happened, had to pay my father the tax monies + 6% interest, or after a prescribed period of time if not paid, he could force the sale of said property for back taxes, or own it for taxes, then free to sell to recover his investment + a very good profit.

I never did it, but my father did quite a few times, and always returned a nice profit on his investment, in which he told me was better/safer then any bank`s interest`s offering, especially in the rapid growing/developing state of NE FL..

Land value, unless subject to flooding, EPA land use restrictions, etc. ,usually increases It`s worth over time.

Just something from my past, toxcrusadr, and "not a recommendation" to or for you, but a possible consideration of what worked for my intelligent information gathering/absorbing, & number crunching father.

Again inundate yourself with knowledge to make the best decision/choice..

Good luck, with whatever your investment method, Sir

Kind regards, OKB

OnTheBlitz likes this.
  11. toxcrusadr

Interesting strategy, I had no idea you could pay off taxes and make interest that way. At least in Florida.

I like the utilities and muni bonds, that probably needs to be part of it.

Bogleheads, I will check out, haven't heard of that.

12. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

I remember back I had a summer job sitting in City Hall records department going through tax records(by hand) looking for delinquent property tax payments which could be paid off and the property taken over after three or five years delinquency.:eek:

Bill Ferris likes this.
  13. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

You really don't need a professional as nobody knows market direction day to day week to week.
    They can run with the herd but that's not really investing.
    The safest way of getting into the market is to dollar cost average into a stock ETF such as SPY which represents the 500 largest US companies in the world.
    Incremental amounts each month, when the market takes an occasional dip, or crashes for instance.:beerchug:

14. toxcrusadr

^^ You're right about that. If one starts small rather than buying a big chunk, there's less risk of loss due to a major correction.

As for abandoned property, I work in that field, or at least, the environmental side of it, but I pick up on the real estate development angle by osmosis. A lot of abandoned property is abandoned for a reason. Either no one wants it, or in some cases, it costs more to demo or clean up than it's worth. Not all property, but the point is, one needs to go in with eyes open.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  15. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

:bigok: :thumbsup:

OnTheBlitz likes this.
  16. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

As far as delinquent property taxes, I was under the impression by simply paying off the tax the city simply accepted payment and turned the property over to the payer.
    I'm not sure what other procedure may or may not have been involved.
    it seemed to good to be true, depending on your point of view.
    This was back in the late 70's.

17. toxcrusadr

Owing taxes on property doesn't necessarily automatically take away your ownership. It's highly dependent on local laws. Some cities where there is a lot of abandoned property (Detroit for example, or St. Louis here in Missouri) have passed ordinances to address it. St. Louis declared that at some point the title would transfer to a Land Reutilization Authority which could then do things with it. Not all cities do that. Kansas City MO does not take the property, it still remains in the previous owner's name. Whether you can buy it for the price of the taxes or some other amount, I don't know. Some cities and counties auction off properties, maybe starting at the value of the taxes due so they get the tax money paid. Probably a hundred ways it's done around the country.

An old and contaminated (with hazardous stuff) landfill here in MO was sold on the courthouse steps for taxes and someone bought it not realizing it was actually on a statewide list of known contaminated sites. The county actually violated state law when they forgot to notify potential buyers of the fact. Guy thought he was just buying a piece of rural pasture cheap. Rare, but it happens.

But I digress. Sorry for the OT wandering.

Bill Ferris likes this.