What would you pay for a dusty/crusty pair of EPI 200B?

thurber

What would you pay for a dusty/crusty pair of EPI 200B that look like they were probably stuck in the garage 25 years ago but are in decent shape, considering? Surrounds seem fine. Just curious what people would pay for them.

There are two different pair in you neck of the woods priced at $180 & $195. That in mind, I would think $125-$150 would be a decent price. If they have never been refoamed, I would count on doing them in the near future. Make sure that all the drivers work, especially since the gold ring tweeters are known to have a problem with the magnets detaching. Check this thread out on adding weight to the passive to improve bass response.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....tential-owners-listen-up.112873/#post-1179224

There are two different pair in you neck of the woods priced at $180 & $195. That in mind, I would think $125-$150 would be a decent price. If they have never been refoamed, I would count on doing them in the near future. Make sure that all the drivers work, especially since the gold ring tweeters are known to have a problem with the magnets detaching. Check this thread out on adding weight to the passive to improve bass response.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....tential-owners-listen-up.112873/#post-1179224

Thanks! Where do you see the pair for $195? I was trying to see if the $180 fellow would be willing to budge a little, but haven’t been able to elicit as much as a reply.

@colohiker Interesting - Rocklin keeps coming up even though I had never heard of this town before I started getting back into vinyl. Some KLH nines were sold out of Rocklin last year, and there's also a vinyl YouTube channel from a guy from Rocklin - probably all the same guy! Thanks for the tip, though! Would not be averse to a drive out there for some truly special speakers.

I have a pair of EPI 200's. I rotated them out of my man cave system a month or two ago. I'd be willing to keep them there but other speakers demand their time in the spotlight. Main fault of mine is the black painted exterior, It was done well. I just don't care for black. I bought newer passive radiators from a 200C or possibly a EPI 500. Small improvement (I think LOL). As usual the capacitor will need refreshing(16uF). Also the original stuffing was foam that will disintegrate over time. These are basically ported speakers so they are not stuffed like most sealed speakers. Sorry the exact terminology escapes me.
These are odd sized speakers in that they too big to be called bookshelf but kind of short for a floor mount. I raised mine onto cement blocks.

@BobHol - Yeah, I would like to pick these up, but $180 seems a little bit steep to me, considering that every old speaker is a project (caps, etc, at minimum). I bought some EPI 100 recently, on a whim, that are great, which is what piqued my interest.

I bought some EPI 100 recently, on a whim, that are great, which is what piqued my interest.

The EPI 100's are truly a magical speaker that belies its simple design (like the Polk Monitor 7's). Yes, there are better speakers out there but it's hard to find ones that deliver a better bang for the buck. I can't tell you whether the 200's are that much better than the 100's (even though I've had a pair sitting in the stash waiting restoration for several years). I think my assessment of $125-150 would still be a decent price in your market, even though I would probably be lucky to get $100 around here for a pair.

If your not comfortable with the price, be patient. Perhaps they'll be willing to eventually lower their price or another pair will pop up. BTW, the Genesis II's would be another option to keep your eye out for. Similar design but with a 10" passive instead of the 12" passive.

@colohiker Yeah, there is a 'Bay Area tax' on lotsa things these days. I never haggle with 'price is firm' ads, but this one did not say that. Still, some are really offended if you try to offer less (maybe why I have not heard back - I offered $100 a few weeks ago, then wrote again just asking if he would budge off $180). I don't think this is a particularly rare speaker, really, right? And I don't need them at all, just would like to have them. The solid wood cabs (have to 2x check that) get me extra excited, as the 100's I bought are vinyl (still look surprisingly nice, considering).

It's interesting with the eBay dynamic. These days I think *everyone* price checks on eBay (different than even five or certainly ten years ago). However, if he sold those on eBay, he probably would make less than $180, after shipping, with the condition they're in. But I would have to *pay* a lot more, too, to buy them (or rather, not buy them). So who should the sale price favor - the buyer, or the seller? I guess that's the question. He thinks 'this guy would have to pay $300 - why is he offering me $100,' and I think 'He would only make $100, why is he asking $180?'

I will look up the Genesis II's you mention. I just avoided traffic and did a late night trek to Richmond, CA (35 mins away) to get some pristine Phase Tech bookshelf speakers for $30, which people seemed excited about on here. Still trying to figure out how to get the grills off!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom