What You Did With Old Military Uniform?

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by loopstick, Jun 1, 2018.

?

My old uniform I ...

1. Still have it in the closet

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Did some scrapbook thing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Did some wall display thing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Donated it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Burned it

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Buried it at sea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey gang - I've always had this fantasy of shuffling down Main Street in the Memorial Day Parade in my old uniform. I lost 30 pounds and can easily lose another 10 or 15. But I just found out that if you're not an ex-lifer you can only wear your uniform for a short period of travel etc. after you get discharged and leave your last duty station. Oh well.

So what did you do? I'm gonna do something with the sleeve that has the rating on it and stick on the other ribbons, pins, tags, medal (GC - though I avoided a Captain's Mast only cuz I was short and they wanted me to re-up) and make a modest wall display. And remove the brass buttons and burn the rest.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

I still have my field jacket and liner.

The rest I was more than happy to see go.

loopstick likes this.
  3. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm doing my dad's too. Unfortunately other than LTJG sleeve stripes there ain't much to keep. Maybe my brother's got his ribbons, etc. I did save the metal badge from his cap. I took the one off mine and noticed behind it was some old masking tape that had the name, recruit company, and SN of this guy who was always getting into trouble. Don't know how I ended up with his cap. Maybe a mixup during evening locker inspection when things can end up all over the floor.

John James likes this.
  4. Bratwurst7s

Bratwurst7s In The Frying Pan Subscriber

The uniform that I was wearing the day that I was discharged was doused with lighter fluid and burned after removing my stripes etc. The rest went into my B4 bag where they stayed the last 33 years, until a couple of months ago when I gave some of them to my now full grown kids.

I can still fit in them, haven't gained that much weight since then, a steady 72kg/159lbs nowadays, about 150lbs back then.

Cheers,
    James

loopstick likes this.
  5. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

In a storage building in a box. It definitely wouldn't fit now.

loopstick likes this.
  6. Redikilowatt

Redikilowatt Audio Understudy Subscriber

Wore the utilities and boots until they deteriorated. Think I still have a partially moth-eaten dress shirt, soft garrison cap, and duffel bag. My pop kept his WWII winter dark green uniform with cap and campaign ribbons hanging in the closet until at least the '90s. Apparently, they disappeared sometime before his death in 2001 :dunno:

My dad and I both served in USMC.

Bratwurst7s, John James and loopstick like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. spicer

spicer Well-Known Member

Good Thread topic. I was 4F, very near sighted... but grew up on Army bases around the US and the world. My dad was career, I have a few things of his, my brother has most of his stuff, including the Purple Heart, beside his own from Viet Nam, my brother takes good care of it, and I thank him for it. I seldom mention it except on occasion to keep alive the living memory he represents of that generation, so often and too easily underestimated, but my father was WW II, was at D-Day for the invasion, up through Europe till VE day. Upon discharge in 1965 the quarter master issued complete uniform, ect., should there be a call up... we still have it in the closet along side a few other pieces from back then, including a piece of hardware of the type he carried. I consider it part of our heritage.

Bratwurst7s, loopstick and John James like this.