Whatcha think of this system?

Hey I like that room! The lighting caught my eye (as it is my business) Neat covers on them SET amps eh? What speakers are those? SET amps pushing them?

He has some very nice gear. To bad it is in such a narrow room. Those speakers really need to be set far apart. Cool factor is way up on this though.

look like maggie 3.5's? I doubt he has the new 3.6's, but maybe....
:dunno:

the cool thing about ribbons (as with ESL's) is that they are not so room dependent, so they sound good in most all setups.

if you read the thread, it would appear the young man still lives at home and this is "his room". He also sleeps in here. Either that or he has roommates from hell and keeps it all under lock and key...

Last edited:
Interesting also to go for the big high powered triodes for the Maggies as most would go for mossfet. I like the fact that he bought the amps as kits as well. Gutsy move, and not a cheap one for a guy in an efficiancy. Also I didn't see or read anything about a sub which because of the size of the room seems like a good decision. The fact that the guy lives, sleeps and works in that space as well as the fact of the kits says to me that he is very organized.
Thatch

The speakers are Maggie 1.6QR's. Never would believe that (18wpc) amp could drive them. I brought those speakers home and my (then) GTA se-40 (40wpc) could barely push them. Though lovely whenever a note was released. His room looks quite small, which may begin to explain his satisfaction.

I really like the room, would loved to have something like that when I was younger. Way better than anything I scraped together. Love that R-R too, something about them... reminds me of my older buddie's system from the early 70's. Also like the massive PS Audio powerplant, another "cool" component.

MikE

Hi Mike,

According to SET man's system details, those are actually the earlier MG1.5's.

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/361.html

You are spot on when you say room size has a lot to do 18w being able to drive the Maggies. Room size and the listener's preferred listening levels and music repertoire.

In my own Maggie 1.6 system, in a 4m x 5m room, I got more than adequate levels with a 60w Jadis.

However, good that this amp was (and it is very , very good) it didn't exercise the bottom end control I would have liked so it was back to the SS amps for the Maggies.

cheerio

Thanks for the correction

I guess my post gets a low rating for accuracy (AA reference). All I can say is those two speaker models must be rather similiar. Wow, Jadis feeding those 1.6's must sound very nice indeed. Wouldn't mind listening to that system for an evening. If you get a chance post some images over at Fish's Gallery. See you 'round.

MikE

Hi Mike,

No problemo.

Got some non- digital pix, no digital camera as I blew that budget on a new radar detector.

You're welcome to a listen but I'm not paying your airfare.

;)

LOL

Back
Top Bottom