What's a Fella To Do About This?

Use it anyways, or sell it if you can't get past it. Could you marry the beautiful girl with the hairy mole? : )

It's actually a city PD registration number. The saddest part is that it is otherwise an immaculate and untouched 5000X with it's original box packing and accessories. I mean there isn't a single scratch around the headphone jack or mic jacks or other face plate blemish.

I was really excited about finally getting a pristine 5000X. Maybe i'll stick a Band-aid on it. ;)

You could always cover it up with silver vinyl tape. But that would probably look tackier that the engraving itself.

It's actually a city PD registration number. The saddest part is that it is otherwise an immaculate and untouched 5000X with it's original box packing and accessories. I mean there isn't a single scratch around the headphone jack or mic jacks or other face plate blemish.

I was really excited about finally getting a pristine 5000X. Maybe i'll stick a Band-aid on it. ;)

I'd bet you can find a clean faceplate if you look. I've seen 3 or 4 surprisingly clean Sansui's from this era in the past few years, and they weren't expensive at all.

A few scratches and dings add character but don't affect performance. Well my wife may not back me up on that :cool:
My truck got a cracked windshield in 2005 and I won't replace it until the state makes me. It adds character :)
Maybe I should start wearing an eye patch :smoke:

Actually, I'm sorry about the face plate. My dad did that to a lot of his stuff in the 80s :(

or have someone engrave a special sansui plate to cover the scratching. fool the flippers
with Stage 2, or custom engineering, or 50th anniversary model, or do
any of the above singularly or in combination in Japanese Katakana.

My biggest beef with these disfigurations is they're always scratched by hand; it's not hard, or very expensive, to have it engraved professionally — if you must. At least this guy was fairly neat, probably got a B+ for Penmanship in 5th Grade.

I never knew that about the military, Avionic... but not surprised.

Having a badge engraved by a trophy shop are good suggestions mentioned above. Or have a new one made at Front Panel Express, any color you want!

Take the face plate to a machine shop and have them lathe out a strip where the engraving is.

I did likewise with a Pioneer cassette deck for a not unattractive outcome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom