What's best to clean the face of a vintage receiver?

Took the vacuum to it carefully, still need to get a can of air to blow it out. Next trip to town (I live way out in the sticks) I'll do that.010.JPG

First, that's one of the few receivers I'd still pursue. They're glorious to look at, and sound great.

Check all the basics, and does this have jumpers for pre/post? I'd check that.

Does the relay click?

We have techs that can restore that baby to showroom condition if you're like me, and unable to do that kind of work, but if you are, they'll also walk you through it.

Fingers crossed for a full restoration or at least getting it going. Watching with interest.

First, that's one of the few receivers I'd still pursue. They're glorious to look at, and sound great.

Check all the basics, and does this have jumpers for pre/post? I'd check that.

Does the relay click?

We have techs that can restore that baby to showroom condition if you're like me, and unable to do that kind of work, but if you are, they'll also walk you through it.

Fingers crossed for a full restoration or at least getting it going. Watching with interest.

That's all a little over my head but yes I hear the relay click. I may just take it in and have it checked out and gone through. There's a few lights that aren't working I'd like replaced and I'd imagine it could use being re-capped etc. I think it's worth saving for sure and so far I'm in it zero money.

That spurred a memory, 40 years ago my room mate had a big Pioneer,1010 I think it was, had to have jacks plugged in on the back or no power.
Is this the same thing here?
013.JPG[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Holy shit!!! I LOVE THAT YOU GOT THIS WORKING!!!!!

I adore threads like this. Way to go, brother!!

One suggestion - I'd leave it on for a few DAYS. Let those caps reform before you go all volume-happy.

I'm no tech, but that's worked for me.
Oh yeah I'll be bringing it up slow, I just tested it with a pair of EPI 100 bookshelf speakers at low volume.
I think I'll still take it to a tech and have it checked out, needs a few lights so I want those fixed.
At least now I know it's worth taking in for a tune up.
I have a pair of Klipsch KG4's for my Marantz 2240,think I'll hook those up tomorrow and check the phono and tape inputs next with just a tiny bit more volume, only went to #2 on the EPI's.
I'm going to need some bigger speakers for this beast, that's where it'll get expensive. lol

So now I need these toggle switch knobs, any ideas where I might source them?

I've searched ebay and google already,so far nada.
zxz.jpg

Can't help with the switches except to say that they'll likely turn up eventually.
Did want to compliment you on the spectacular transformation you've accomplished.

It's a lot better than just painting the thing with chrome spray paint, right?

DSCN2024.jpg

Yeah, that Sony AVR is sort of a place holder I guess
index.php

Can't help with the switches except to say that they'll likely turn up eventually.
Did want to compliment you on the spectacular transformation you've accomplished.

It's a lot better than just painting the thing with chrome spray paint, right?
Thanks and yes absolutely. Hope the wood comes out as good, I think it'll come out ok, we'll see.

So I took a closer look at the wood this morning and cleaned it up to prep for refinishing.
What I thought was a hideous scratch through the veneer that might not come out turned out to be not so bad.
Looks like it was scraped up against something with paint on it.
Most of it came off and I don't see anything there that won't come out when I raise the grain with a little heat and steam.
There's a few spots with chipped veneer on the edges but overall the wood is pretty good considering how little care this thing obviously had over the years.
The fellow that gave me this said his wife bought it at Goodwill over 20 years ago, the remains of a GW sticker was still there on the face when I cleaned it.
That and felt pen marking on the bottom that says $39.00 and the date 11/2 but no year.
Anyway I cleaned it up and hit it with a little Liquid Gold furniture polish so I could better see the spots that need some work before sanding.
I need to go to the hardware store for some sanding discs,I don't have anything finer than 80gt right now and I'm not using anything that coarse on this.
I with probably start with 120gt and finish sanding with 320gt then stain it and finish with hand rubbed oil using 0000 steel wool.
001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom