Whats better than a single Ultra Analog Chip?

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
2 plus some tubes...

Having used the Parasound DAC2000 Ultra for a decade and a half, I decided to to try a pair, with some output tubes to boot...

VTL 20 Bit DAC

1468714-vtl-20-bit-digital-to-analog-converter.jpg

1468716-vtl-20-bit-digital-to-analog-converter.jpg

1468715-vtl-20-bit-digital-to-analog-converter.jpg

I still think that a PCM63 or PCM1704 are better approaches, but I must give Ultra analog their credit for pioneering this. In my opinion, it's just a multibit delta-sigma hybrid, the PCM1791 emulated this much better.
Today there are several startups that are trying to emulate the multibit DAC using same principle, but with newer components, and more resolution.

Like this monster:
dsc04896-001.jpg

Attachments

• Ultraanalog D20400 DAC Chip-bottom.jpg
    Ultraanalog D20400 DAC Chip-bottom.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Ultraanalog D20400 DAC Chip-top.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 19
I tried some modern made DAC's from Shiit and Audio-Gd....I really liked the Audio-Gd products..I tried the Sable based DAC and the PCM 1704UK based ones....But, I still prefer my Parasound DAC 2000...and I wanted to get some tubes in the mix...

ESS sabre DAC.. is the chili these days.. However tomorrow there will be a new player and that's audio.. Todays TOTL is tomorrow's vintage gear

"This chipset handles PCM and DSD natively". That's not a true multibit, it's a hybrid that BB/TI has - first 5 bits are multibit, the rest are delta-sigma, BB/TI calls them "Advanced Segment".
However, when plays DSD files, since the signal it is just 1 bit, the "multibit" part is not adding any improvement.

An old thread I know, though I must say I’m really enjoying one of these DAC’s with a Soundaware A1X up front as the transport as a Roon end point. Just gorgeous with 4x NOS Mullard CV4024 installed. My VTL is red though.

The Abbas DAC2.2SE in my main system remains the best I possess though the VTL is extremely enjoyable in a completely different way. :)

Back
Top Bottom