What's British in your system?

Presently I have a pair of Keswick Audio Research "Volante Evolution" speakers, Rotel RCD 855 CD player, Musical Fidelity V Dac and a Myryad MA 360 power amplifier so " Made in England" is no stranger.

Apparently the Volante had custom drivers and the cabinets are nicely finished in a Rosewood veneer. From what I have found out ( they were for the U.K. and Asian markets ) the cost for a pair in the mid '90's was 1100 pounds. I purchased them locally from someone I know for 150.00

View attachment 1364573 View attachment 1364574 View attachment 1364575

I concur with Tim’s comment about your speakers — they are handsome! How do they sound? I once owned an RCD 855, which I enjoyed for a year or so. Happy listening!

Jim

I cheated a bit by posting some images off of.the internet but same colour etc., though mine do not have the optional stands. I use the Volantes with just a Vincent SV 236 MK and set up in a larger 13 X 26 listening space I only use about half of it with a couch in the centre. As far as how they sound, well I would characterize them as open, detailed with very good bass response ( fast, tight nicely controlled ), especially given their size. Of course one's source and the amplifier play a role as well, the highs can be somewhat prominent but again, depending on the recording the better it is the more they present.

I do find them appealing, though the Soundwave Soliloquy ( Vector Research ) are for instance smoother and even more open and as sealed design more enjoyable I would not hesitate to listen to either for extended periods. Like all speakers they have their strengths and weaknesses with some genres of music produced better than others. Certainly not your typical laid back British speaker they do come across as more forward but I like the change. I have yet to try them with one of my Luxman receivers or even the Myriad as it is set up in the home theatre being a three channel amplifier. The amp for the surrounds is actually a Rotel but rebadged as an Rtec for the Asian market. Nice little unit with 60 W/ channel - I think I should use the pre outs on either the Luxman R113 or the Vincent and try it with the Volantes just to find out how they sound together.

The Vincent, with some mid '60's Tungsram EC833s driven by a Ten Kobe 12AX7 ( also '60's vintage ) work very well together in the tube pre amp section with a modern solid state output, lots of drive and dynamics, fast and articulate with a nice bottom end that appears to compliment the Volantes but they can be a bit on the bright side, but again, I find many recordings to be somewhat "hot" for lack of a better description.

The Rotel 855 is a very decent cd player this one was modified a bit and has a more open top end - they are noted as being on the warm side with a good bottom end, I do not use any of the British components together but one day perhaps I should - the Rotel 855 no longer has a functioning digital output due to the mods performed so it would have to stand on it's own without the possible benefit of an outboard DACIt would be interesting to try a few component combinations just to hear how the Volantes sound.

Last edited:
All three sets of speakers, my subwoofer, one of the DACs, and three stands .

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D2
Bowers & Wilkins CM6 S2
Bowers & Wilkins CM5
REL S/2
Meridian Explorer 2
Bowers & Wilkins FS-CM-S2
Bowers & Wilkins STAV 24
Atacama Reference 724

Last edited:
I cheated a bit by posting some images off of.the internet but same colour etc., though mine do not have the optional stands. I use the Volantes with just a Vincent SV 236 MK and set up in a larger 13 X 26 listening space I only use about half of it with a couch in the centre. As far as how they sound, well I would characterize them as open, detailed with very good bass response ( fast, tight nicely controlled ), especially given their size. Of course one's source and the amplifier play a role as well, the highs can be somewhat prominent but again, depending on the recording the better it is the more they present.

I do find them appealing, though the Soundwave Soliloquy ( Vector Research ) are for instance smoother and even more open and as sealed design more enjoyable I would not hesitate to listen to either for extended periods. Like all speakers they have their strengths and weaknesses with some genres of music produced better than others. Certainly not your typical laid back British speaker they do come across as more forward but I like the change. I have yet to try them with one of my Luxman receivers or even the Myriad as it is set up in the home theatre being a three channel amplifier. The amp for the surrounds is actually a Rotel but rebadged as an Rtec for the Asian market. Nice little unit with 60 W/ channel - I think I should use the pre outs on either the Luxman R113 or the Vincent and try it with the Volantes just to find out how they sound together.

The Vincent, with some mid '60's Tungsram EC833s driven by a Ten Kobe 12AX7 ( also '60's vintage ) work very well together in the tube pre amp section with a modern solid state output, lots of drive and dynamics, fast and articulate with a nice bottom end that appears to compliment the Volantes but they can be a bit on the bright side, but again, I find many recordings to be somewhat "hot" for lack of a better description.

The Rotel 855 is a very decent cd player this one was modified a bit and has a more open top end - they are noted as being on the warm side with a good bottom end, I do not use any of the British components together but one day perhaps I should - the Rotel 855 no longer has a functioning digital output due to the mods performed so it would have to stand on it's own without the possible benefit of an outboard DACIt would be interesting to try a few component combinations just to hear how the Volantes sound.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Happy listening in 2019!
Jim

Here are my British items:

Target stand
Linn LP12 1970's version
Spendor S3/5
Spendor LS3/5a 11 ohm version
Celestion 3

I use the S/3/5's with my venerable Marantz 8B triode strapped. This configuration has graced my living room for more than 15 years. It provides a romantic, yet detailed window into the music with no fatigue.

Upstairs I am using the recently acquired LS3/5 with a Dennis Had Inspire single ended triode amp, which puts out between 2.5 and 8 watts, depending on the output tubes used. This is another very listenable system. The LS3/5a's acquit themselves very well despite their low sensitivity in my 8 by 10 foot room.

My Celestion 3's are used in whatever other configuration I might be putting together with my other amps.

Ed

Linn LP12.
Linn DMS Isobariks
Cambridge Audio CD.
Arcam DV137 DVD/CD player.
Audio Innovations Valve/tube Power Amp?
DNM Pre Amp and Power Supply.
Celestion Ditton 33
Impulse H1 Loudspeakers.

Last edited:
My British audio equipment includes Bowers&Wilkins DM640i speakers, Meridian Explorer 2 MQA DAC. That's all. Everything else is Japanese and Chinese made.<----which is not a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom