What's going to be in member rooms?

Punker X

Staff member
Subscriber
Fest starts in a less than a week and not much hype going on.. We can all pretty much guess what's going to be in the Manufacturer/Dealer rooms. The highlight of every fest is what the members bring to show off.

So, what are you bringing?

... I'll start off.

Dgwojo and I will be sharing a room this year. So you guess it, all Altec all the time. Dave is bring a pair of 18's and I'm bringing a pair of 19's

The 18's are set up for bi-amping but that may change by the fest.

The 19's have BMS drivers, Crossovers have been upgraded with Auricaps/Mills resistors and Cardas internal wiring.

Pretty sure Dave is bring a MAC 1700 receiver, I'm bringing a Blue Circle tube preamp and a set of NOSValves Monoblocks.

Will have a CD player of some sort, and Sota Turntable. Lots of vinyl. Also a laptop with a M-Audio Audiophile USB.

Bring some tunes and stop in, looking forward to meeting many of you.

Eric... always a pleasure.. shouldn't have to wait 3 hours for a breakfast this year..

I've got a swap table with some LPs, CDs, and cassettes, but I plan on having some sort of simple vinyl system playing. Looks like a Dual TT, NAD 3020B and a set of EPI 100s right now.

This sounds very interesting Mike, I'll have to haunt your room for a good listen this year.

Looking forward to hearing both the 18s (604-8H driver) and 19s in the same tube/vinyl based system, I've never had a chance to experience that before.

And then there are those exalted BMS drivers...:)

This sounds very interesting Mike, I'll have to haunt your room for a good listen this year.

Looking forward to hearing both the 18s (604-8H driver) and 19s in the same tube/vinyl based system, I've never had a chance to experience that before.

And then there are those exalted BMS drivers...:)

Yes well deserved exaltation on the BMS drivers.. they are very nice..

Perhaps you could pack your crossovers for Dave to try in the 18's.

I'm bringing a pair of EchoWars rebuilt Pioneer SPEC 2s and a rebuilt SPEC 1 to power Army's Infinity RS 2.5s. We will also be briniging a multitude of sources to go along with that set up.

As always, if someone wants to bring a pair of speakers, or a source to hook up to that SPEC system, just to hear what it would sound like, they are always welcome to do that.

Last year, along with my AR-9s and Thiel CS3.6s, Wank brought his DQ-10s in for a listen with the SPECs, and a good time was had by all. :music:

Retro

Yes well deserved exaltation on the BMS drivers.. they are very nice..

Perhaps you could pack your crossovers for Dave to try in the 18's.

These two things could keep me busy all weekend just by themselves.:drool: FWIW, if I overstay my welcome in the Altec room, just shove me out into the hall.:D

I'm bringing a pair of EchoWars rebuilt Pioneer SPEC 2s and a rebuilt SPEC 1 to power Army's Infinity RS 2.5s. We will also be briniging a multitude of sources to go along with that set up.

As always, if someone wants to bring a pair of speakers, or a source to hook up to that SPEC system, just to hear what it would sound like, they are always welcome to do that.

Last year, along with my AR-9s and Thiel CS3.6s, Wank brought his DQ-10s in for a listen with the SPECs, and a good time was had by all. :music:

Retro

Heck I missed this post somehow.:scratch2: I can't wait to hear more of that Infinity/Spec sound guys. I understand that these are the smaller version of what Scott has in his home listening room, but I'm just hoping the hotel rooms are large enough to let all these outstanding systems do there thing.:music:

These two things could keep me busy all weekend just by themselves.:drool: FWIW, if I overstay my welcome in the Altec room, just shove me out into the hall.:D

Jay, there ain't enough hours in the weekend to do justice to all the goodies that will be set before you. Every year I find myself wishing I'd spent more time in more rooms, but unfortunately, I can't be in 20 places at once :dunno:

Eclecticism personified in my room. Here's what I'm sure I'll be bringing:

Carver Lightstar Direct Preamp
PS Audio Trio A 100 amp
AMC CVT 2030 amp
Hagerman Archer Phono Preamp
Technics 1210 M5G turntable with a couple of cartridges to play with
Klipsch RB-5 speakers on stands

Maybe:

Klipsch RF-7's
Marantz 1060 integrated rebuilt by LeeStereo
Sansio 9090 rebuilt by Echowars

I'm obviously not going to have a "room" this year, but I thought I would offer to bring some tubes if anyone wants to hear a particular one. I have a pretty wide assortment of most popular audio tubes, so if anyone wants to do some rollin, just shoot me a PM and I'll see if I have what you want to hear.

Heck I missed this post somehow.:scratch2: I can't wait to hear more of that Infinity/Spec sound guys. I understand that these are the smaller version of what Scott has in his home listening room, but I'm just hoping the hotel rooms are large enough to let all these outstanding systems do there thing.:music:

Yup Jay these are the Infinity RS 2.5 little brothers to the RS 4.5 and half the size of my main setup. But still weigh in at 118 lbs each. Grumpy was leaning on me awfully hard to bring the BIG ones, but at 185 lbs each its just not going to happen.
Retro and I played the RS 2.5 two years ago at the fest with a single Spec 2 power amp and since then I've found that bi-amping brings out the best they can be. That and I'm pretty sure we'll be one of very few bi-amped vintage systems at the fest if not the only. And bi-amping seems to mystify some people till they actually see how easy it is. :music:

Yup Jay these are the Infinity RS 2.5 little brothers to the RS 4.5 and half the size of my main setup. But still weigh in at 118 lbs each. Grumpy was leaning on me awfully hard to bring the BIG ones, but at 185 lbs each its just not going to happen.
Retro and I played the RS 2.5 two years ago at the fest with a single Spec 2 power amp and since then I've found that bi-amping brings out the best they can be. That and I'm pretty sure we'll be one of very few bi-amped vintage systems at the fest if not the only. And bi-amping seems to mystify some people till they actually see how easy it is. :music:

I've never seen it done myself, so I'll be watching when you hook it all up. I've seriously considered by-amping my horns.:scratch2:

One thing I'd like to say about last year's fest - it coulda used some signage.
Obviously eveybody can't ask what everything is - it would be really educational.

One thing I'd like to say about last year's fest - it coulda used some signage.
Obviously eveybody can't ask what everything is - it would be really educational.

We do generally provide room signs but its beyond us to know what will be in each room. It may be worth mentioning your requests to the room exhibitors.

Grumpy

Unfortunately, what I had hoped to bring will not be done in time...

However, I intend to bring in the following:

Yamaha NS-1000s
JBL 250Ti Limited Edition
Rogue Audio Magnum M120 Monoblocks.
Dared SL-2000A Preamp
etc etc.

I had really hoped to have full range electrostats comprised of KLH Nine bass panels run full range and Martin Logan panels and a couple home brew electrostatic tweeter panels. With the projects of late, it was not to be.. :no:

Jay, there ain't enough hours in the weekend to do justice to all the goodies that will be set before you. Every year I find myself wishing I'd spent more time in more rooms, but unfortunately, I can't be in 20 places at once :dunno:

D*ng, I know that feeling. We start off first thing in the morning and don't stop 'til it's over (or past) and still there's not enough time. It's probably just going to be worse this year.

D*ng, I know that feeling. We start off first thing in the morning and don't stop 'til it's over (or past) and still there's not enough time. It's probably just going to be worse this year.

Worse this year :yes:

Two floors and fifty rooms!

Even if you don't get to every room you know you've heard some of the best!

Not telling you anything you don't already know Joyce :music:

hey-Hey!!!,
I'll be bringing the amps responsible for this pic:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145951

The linestage is a PP/balanced output affair. Amp-sized power supply and drive to spare. Sources will be a SACD/DVDA and the MrClassicman Rek-O-Kut turntable. Speakers are TQWP with dual drivers to alleviate comb filtering plaguing such designs( like the C&C Abbey ). There'll probably be a secondary amp( also directly heated ).
cheers,
Douglas

Back
Top Bottom