Whats Hot for inexpensive DVD player?

Jim Eck

Chicks dig the Mule
Looking for a decent DVD player for the bedroom. Nothing fancy, just for watching movies on 20 inch TV.

Are there any good sleeper bargains going now?

Thanks, Jim

3950/3960 are the two model numbers. They are wonderful music reproducing machines (lots of mods you can do too)... for video they aren't anything special. Many people on the boards here (myself included) use them in their 2-channel audio set-up and just looove their "expencive-CD-player-killing" Toshiba SD-3950/SD-3960 DVD players.

BTW, they often go on sale and I got my 3950 for a measly $49.00!

Chime, Chime...

Yup, the Tosh 3950 plays a mean redbook once you do some simple mods to it. For DVD movies though I use my Panny RP82. MUCH better chip for that. Both of these are budget yet exceptional machines.

Didn't they stop producing the 3950 already though? Thought I heard that...

I picked up an Apex model for around $40, works great and plays lots of formats. Only complaint is the relatively short-range remote (over 12 feet and it usually doesn't detect it).

-Sean

Originally posted by WildWest
Chime, Chime...

Yup, the Tosh 3950 plays a mean redbook once you do some simple mods to it. For DVD movies though I use my Panny RP82. MUCH better chip for that. Both of these are budget yet exceptional machines.

Didn't they stop producing the 3950 already though? Thought I heard that...

I have to agree with you on the RP82.I think it has the best picture of any DVD I've owned.Target has the Toshiba for 60.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9561336-5331002?asin=B0000BV0XV

Count me in as a recent Toshiba convert

I got rid of two decent CDP's after I installed my 1200. Maybe I should give the 3950 a listen...

Laz

I use a Panny DVD-S35. 40 bucks at a hock shop. Playes movies great, and I use it for CD's in the front room. Sooooo very much better than anything else I have....... which is mainly bigbox changer stuff, and the mid 80's Denon. So maybe it is crap, but I really like it, it makes the music soooo much sweeter. The best part about it is it makes the music sound just like it is a cd :p:

I use a Panny DVD-S35. 40 bucks at a hock shop. Playes movies great, and I use it for CD's in the front room. Sooooo very much better than anything else I have....... which is mainly bigbox changer stuff, and the mid 80's Denon. So maybe it is crap, but I really like it, it makes the music soooo much sweeter. The best part about it is it makes the music sound just like it is a cd :p:

I use the next step up, the DV-353k. Again, an excellent player for a cheap price ($139 from Crutchfield a year ago). The remote is really simple as well, with nice sized buttons placed conveniently around the remote. There is a newer model, same price as the older 353k that also plays VCD's. :yes:

toss another vote for the tosh 3960, although i only use it in 2 hannel analog for music. (great sounding for cd's) for 60-70 bucks, can not go wrong with htis unit

I also have the tosh-3960 perchased at BB a month ago.I have noted its popularity on other web sites.Was wondering if an AK member would like to mod mine.I wanted to get the ps caps replaced and a good cord.And also the transport cushioned.I am sure this would lead to many requests because of the huge intrest in this modest priced unit.Am kind of surprised that I havent found a post requesting who would like to the mods.Is there an AK member that would like to mod my unit?

I use the Toshiba SD5700, 4700, and 3750 players, the "dialogue" audio mode is incredible for music and the video is excellent, these models were made in 2001 so they struggle with poor quality DVD-R's, whereas a cheap POS player won't care how bad the DVD-R burn was!!
:wtf:

I just purchased a Toshiba SD3950 on Ebay for $29.99 And I must say everything thats been said about it is the truth, What a player love it. :thmbsp:

Ron

I too have a Toshiba SD-4700 and after trying out different CDP's it seems I still go back to that one. Not to mention it's nice picture quality. Just wish it had DVI out as well, that will be on my next DVD player.

I have an older Panasonic and a fully modded Tosh 3950. I use the Panny in the bedroom. One thing I don't like about the Tosh is the lack of track display on the front.

I just got a Toshiba 3960 last week. Wow! What a great audio player. I plan on modding mine in the future with the "Swenson" mods. The 3960 has a track display at least. I'm very impressed and would recommend it to anyone for audio....I haven't checked out the video capability.

It seems like all the cheap Toshibas are awesome. I had (until it was stolen) a Toshiba SD-K510, which I think is prolly the near equivalent of an SD-3950 without progressive scan, and audio was also amazing, and video was quite good, fed through my old 1986 Toshiba/Sears tv... It definitely makes me believe Toshiba is one of the more underrated brands out there...

Back
Top Bottom