What's it worth?

stepman

Plain and simple. SX-3900...what do they run? Have seen quite a few different pioneers on ebay and most are a "dime a dozen", but not this one. What does someone usually get for one of these? :scratch2:

I was mostly curious as I'm fixing my old one up. Was trying to convince the wife that it's worth something because she thinks it's too big and bulky. ( doesn't want stereo all over the living room) I've been watching one on ebay now that is up to like 365.00 and seems to be still going.

stepman said:
I was mostly curious as I'm fixing my old one up. Was trying to convince the wife that it's worth something because she thinks it's too big and bulky.
Fix it because you can and because you want to...that's the only reason you need.

Wow,

Those recievers pull down some serious cash... :yes:

So, that should help with your justification to keep that bad boy !!!

Good Luck !!! :beerchug:

Did you see what it went for $ 430.00 man I know what I would buy for that much cash a minty 1050 and for 200 more if I was lucky a 1250. The SX-3900 is a good receiver but not the same as a 1250. I hope you can get it running,

Ron

Last edited:
EchoWars said:
Fix it because you can and because you want to...that's the only reason you need.

I have to agree with you on that but, the wife seems to enjoy HER space. I thought she was having a cow when I got the reel, then she bought me some "bookshelf" speakers because the other one were "too big", now she says that the 3900 is a monster and too old to be any good. Maybe I'll just leave it out in the garage...I spend most of my time out there anyways and that's where my speakers ended up.

My other reason for fixing it (or my main reason) is because I liked the sound that it put out better than the newer, smaller ones that I have now. Although the Kenwood isn't bad.

Last edited:
" now she says that the 3900 is a monster and too old to be any good."

I don't know how many times I've heard this comment. Then I clean 'em up and let them listen and they change their minds. :yes:

I´m not a great fan of the SX-3900, 3800... because the design is just half and half. So the SX-D7000 , SX-D5000 are more consequent. One of them, or the beautiful older xx80, xx50 ! But if somebody wants to spend 430$ for one, he should. :smoke:

stepman said:
I have to agree with you on that but, the wife seems to enjoy HER space. I thought she was having a cow when I got the reel, then she bought me some "bookshelf" speakers because the other one were "too big", now she says that the 3900 is a monster and too old to be any good. Maybe I'll just leave it out in the garage...I spend most of my time out there anyways and that's where my speakers ended up.

My other reason for fixing it (or my main reason) is because I liked the sound that it put out better than the newer, smaller ones that I have now. Although the Kenwood isn't bad.
Wow, man, it sounds like you need to rule your castle a little more firmly. :lmao:

The SX-3900 auction caught my eye as well. Wouldn't mind picking one up, but I would not pay much more than half of what this one went for. Looking thru my "watched" items that have closed, it would appear that bidders where a bit giddy over vintage receivers this past weekend... high $$$$$$

Stepman, I can relate... My wife told me I should have checked with her before making "changes" in the house. This was after I moved my refurbed SX-950 and AR2axs into the livingroom, replacing the Sony POS home theater system.

As of yet we still have not discussed the aforementioned changes, but I think she knows they are there to stay... She'll just learn to like 'em! :yes:

Regards,
Junior

That's the way I do it too. I clean the LR, move furniture and bring something else in. She'll come home and say, wow, this looks nice and while looking around, notices the new equipment and proceeds to jump off the deep-end. Maybe my mistake is moving the furniture. Funny though, she hasn't noticed the new guitar yet. :naughty: (I just brought that in and set it in the corner)

I'm not into the "newer" systems, especially the surrounds. She wants to get one of those Bose with the little speakers (so that she won't see them) and I keep saying...NO!

Another WAF trick is to suggest something even bigger, uglier, and more complicated than what you really want. Then "compromise" to what you really wanted.

What makes this more feasible is if you actually own the bigger, uglier stuff -- in the basement or something. When she says, "You don't want to bring THAT in here, do you?!?" you can respond with, "Well, I guess I could live with something smaller... a guy on AK has some speakers about half that size that are supposed to be pretty good..." So you need a "Frankenstein" system with enormous rackmount gear with outboard power supplies. Giant broadcast quality turntable, Ampex 350 dual mono preamps with separate PS, then tube crossovers, giant rackmount tube amps with separate power supplies... you get the idea. With that as your threatening reference point, an all-in-one vintage receiver, even an enormous one, looks tiny by comparison.

When designing our new room, my wife thought for minute that I was planning to install the Jensen Imperials that are currently in the basement. I did nothing to make her think that -- really! -- but it still meant that the Tannoy System 15s (33 x 21 x 18") were not a hard sell. Or another comparison: our local home theater boutique store has these massive McIntosh amps with the biggest meters I have ever seen on home equipment. The amps looked like they were 30" deep, 20" wide, 200 lbs. By comparison, my deHavilland Aries mono amps look completely reasonable!

Back
Top Bottom