What's next - need new amp. Please recommend something :).

201bk

Hi guys, so I wrote a few posts back in the day, didn't have money to change equipment etc - but right now I can buy something and I'm in a blind. So here's my current situation, I use old loudspeakers from the 70s and newer ones from 90s as A+B speakers + Dual 1246 turntable and I'm quite content with this setup but I would like to change the amp thou.

Right now I use Kenwood KA-5700 and I'm not quite fond of this amp, could use something different, VU meters are cool but it has weird sound characteristics which I can't fully like I used it for a long time and I think it's time to change. I currently try to repair my old Yamaha A-960II amp but it turns out to be a dead end, I have one thing I want to try before giving up on the damn thing - I really thought it was a beast but whatever if I can't revive it I will just sell it for someone to use backup for parts or something. I was quite fond of Yamaha sound to be honest. Best sounding and super versatile amplifier I have ever heard to this day.

So what's next? CA series is overpriced to the max in my country because "much vintage", thought of CA-810 since it has tolerable power consumption and sufficient power but the price is too much for such an old eq. Heard so much good stuff about Sansui amps but they are expensive too and the most popular models of AU series can prove hard to find in my country. Don't know what to do. My friend has some new Yamaha A-S series amp and it looks cool but it sounds quite dry, dunno if it's his speakers or acoustics or if this is the sound of this amp, doesn't sound quite as A-960II.

I'm waiting for some recommendations - I don't have much of expectations. But I would want some amp that sounds good, naturalish like Yamaha, but packs a punch and has at least 40 to 60 watts per channel or more. With good control and upfront bass and won't look like some cheap VCR from 90s like most of amps do now. Thanks upfront for some help as one hifi enthusiastic to another :) I like vintage but I'm not so sure I want to blow a load of cash on some 30+ years old amp and have a similar situation like right now but maybe I will find something worth spending money for :D.

Well, I dont know your speakers but I would say vintage is perhaps not the cheapest way to go, not if you dont have time/knowledge/equipment to restore something you bought broken or untested for pennies.

Some modern amps can be found second hand for half the price it would cost to properly refurbish one from the 70s and will work also fine with older speakers.

Did you tried your friends Yamaha A-S series at your place with your speakers ? If possible that could give you some hints on how these speakers sounds with modern day Yamaha

Last edited:
Yeah, I already see it's not the cheapest way to go. A few years back it wasn't expensive so it was appealing, now not so much. It's hard to find something extra cheap, at least in Poland.

Not yet but I will, maybe even today. I already spoke with him. We shall see what it can do in my room ;)

Back
Top Bottom