Whats the average cost per sq foot to heat your home?

Whats the average cost per sq foot to heat your home?

• .01 - .10

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • .11 - .15

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • .16 - .20

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • .21 - .25

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .26 - .50

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I am an energy hog!

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
Damn... utility companies. I'm in California, do everything right and still pay twice you snow covered northern guys.

Heating for me is an on again off again affair according to the fronts that make it this far South. I really can't answer the poll but I will say one thing; since I went from propane gas to electric it is costing me a whole lot less. When I originally installed my gas heater years ago gas was $.89 a gallon. My last fill up was 60 gallons and the charge from Amerigas was $430. I would normally go through two tanks during a cold winter.The yearly tank rental went from $35 to $70. I dumped them like a hot potato and switched to electric. Amerigas is a criminal organization in my opinion. They are even going to charge me $80 to take their tank back. I asked to have the tank removed in early November and it was finally picked up today. They even tried to bill me another year of tank rental this month. I went ballistic on their supervisor just yesterday. The gas companies can SMD as far as I'm concerned.

We'll be lucky to break double digits for the next few days. I may even turn on the gas fireplace this weekend. :yes:

For gas and electric and the pellet stove fuel it looks like .14 for the heating months.

For the last 10 years it has been low. pellet fuel $200-$230 and the Gas/electric no more than $90 a month. 1700' house.

My Outlaws are living with us now and it has spiked quite a bit this winter. temps the last few weeks are 5-35 and the fact that they do not have a job and leave the house like normal working people and that they came from southern Texas....................

Starting to get pissed about the bills and the MIL complaining about how "cold" it is...

I think I am going to give her my propane torch and tell her to warm herself up.:smoke:

Hmm we heet from about the begining of Nov until say the end of April we normally do not fire up the pellet stove more then a dozen nights the rest of the year an average year at todays prices we pay about $600.00 for our 3 tons of wood pellets. Our house proper is 1650 Square feet most of it built in 1923 with no insulation. I have since insulated all but one short outside wall that faces the carport.

So the math hmmm. $600.00 / 6 months = $100.00 a month /1650 sq ft = .06 cents a sq ft. for the 6 months we heat.

Not to bad. And no we have no other heat save a couple small space heaters that are never on for more then a few min while the wife takes a shower etc. So we could bump it up to .6.5 cents a Sq ft and be very safe in our est.

this is for Willamette Valley Oregon. nights this weekend will be under 20F mid next week are projected to be 12-15F

I'm in Asheville, NC. Winter is pretty mild. Home built in 2000. 1600 sq/ft. Have separate upstairs and downstairs electric heat pumps. Everything is electric, including the water heater. Winter cost per 1KWH is $0.078 (low).

Just curious: why do you have 2 heat pumps for 1600 sq. ft? Wouldn't one be more efficient (and cheaper intial cost)?

Damn... utility companies. I'm in California, do everything right and still pay twice you snow covered northern guys.

1200 sq ft house (includes finished basement) my utility bill was $214 which includes both gas and electric. And it was especially cold last month. Sorry about that.

California is a different animal altogether. The property costs are astronomical. It would appear everything else is as well.

I keep the t-stat at 58, but when I turn on the receiver wall it heats the room to a comfy 71 degrees. :D

I'm in the first column. Very nice.

Average is about .04 for natural gas only. Have gas heater set on 65 day and night and supplement in bedroom with a electric oil filled heater. Luckily it doesn't get cold in Houston very often. Right now prediction is for mid to low 30's tonight and that's about as cold as it has gotten this winter.

In the cold months, 2500 sq ft / $300 to heat, about $8.30 per sq ft per month.

Spread out over the year, a little less.

Conversely, I could spend 20K to make the house more efficient and maybe save $120 of that $300. Net present value analysis dictates that don't make sense until long after I'm dead.

So I bend over and pucker up for Constipation Energy.

Of course, there is a certain satisfaction about being a so-called energy hog!

Annual Gas bills = $1,200 pa
Summer months = $35 pm (hot water and cooktop)
Annual space heating bill = $1,200 - $35x12 = $800
Months with at least some heating = 8 pa
Av bill through heating months = $800 / 8 = $100
Area heated with gas = 1600 + 700 = 2300 sf
$/sf / m = $100 / 2300 = $0.043 /sf / m

Just curious: why do you have 2 heat pumps for 1600 sq. ft? Wouldn't one be more efficient (and cheaper initial cost)?
Not sure; I know a fair amount about HVAC, but designing a whole house system is beyond me. The house is a cape cod style with a living room with ceiling open to 2nd floor loft. See: http://www.xxiii.com/~wcox/p118.jpg

Some educated guesses:
* Lack of vertical chases to run the supply and return ducting. Frees floor space, and allows optimal ducting.
* Substantial temp difference and different heating/cooling needs on the floors - using separate systems gives both better comfort (closer temp control) and better energy efficiency (eg: not over-cooling the downstairs to keep the upstairs comfortable.)
* Extra heat transfer via convection & air circulation due to open ceiling space exacerbates previous stated problem.

The two-system design appears to be fairly common in new multi-floor construction in the state (NC). The s****y rental house in Ohio I was in prior had very poorly designed inadequate supplies and returns, and comfort and cost both suffered.

I dont feel too bad....

1300 sq ft mobile home, 17 years old. Everything electric, including on-site well and septic pumps. Forced air heat. Worst electric bill ever in the winter was about $150. $110-$120 is more typical. Summer bills run $40-$50 depending on how many unattended television sets are left running.

I cheat a little: I use a clothesline whenever I can, and have a solar preheat system on the electric water heater, but they don't help too much in the winter. I also have the long side of the building facing south, so the sun shining in the windows helps.

Based on the typical figures ($120 winter dollars minus $45 summer dollars) I come up with $75.00 per month for heat in the winter, which works out to about $.058/sq ft/mo.
Of course this is a little rough, since everything else is on the same meter, and are difficult to figure precisely.

We pay $.064/kwh for juice here

More information than anyone wanted........:drool:

'Bout $0.06 for me, for the average of the winter months; not winter heating averaged over the entire year - thermostat @ 65F.

This month is going to be somewhat high though. These roughly -25F nights and < 0F days raise havoc with the average. It was a brisk -27F last night...

Back
Top Bottom