Whats the best Digital Audio Player? (the Ipod?)

BeatleFred

I was thinking of getting one to use for my commute to/from Work, and I'm trying to decide which one would be the best choice from whats available on the market -> Apple ipod, Iriver, Creative Zen, etc....

There's alot of opinions from other people Online at various websites, but its still tough to choose, it seems that people either love a particular model, or they've experienced alot of problems with it.

B/F

I'm very interested in digital players too as it would be ideal when riding my motorsickle as they're unaffected by vibration and are so small.

Will need to learn how to transfer CD's to MP3 files, or whatever format that these use. I guess using my computer would be best as I could also do some editing etc. Comments anyone? Thanks.

Anthony

Now there's a loaded question!! The best one is the one that "works" best for you. I have an iPod. But then, I have 2 Apple computers. Alot of it depends on what you've got for a computer system. The iPod will work with Windoz XP, and 2000 I believe. But, there are some iPod features that only work with Apple computers. Basically, they're all good nowadays. One thing to keep in mind though is battery consumption. The best bet is just to shop around (internet), compare the features that You are looking for, it's compatible with your system, and styling if need be. Just by shopping around, you'll become a very informed consumer. And that will make your purchase a whole lot easier.

I just remembered; the June 2004 issue of Macworld has a nice review of iPod and iPod Alternatives. Good reading!

I would read a lot of reviews (a lot) and then check prices, Ipods are cool looking but I think other players have gotten higher marks for ease of use. I got my Creative Nomad 2 becuse I scored it cheap NIB on the 'bay. I love it, especially for the price, but when I get my next one it will be one with a bigger screen and a more intuitive interface for finding a certain song.

P.S. I wouldn't trust reviews from MacWorld since Ipods are Mac products ;)

Yes, I have been doing some reading, and I have also picked up two excellent books on the ipod (even if I dont buy an ipod, the info in the books is still very useful to know).

Well, I will try and summarize the + and -'s, after I get all the Info tied together, just to make it easier for anyone else who is also trying to decide the best model to buy.

One thing to be aware of is the aac copy-protected format that itunes uses (as opposed to MP3's) and also the ipod doesnt recognize Windows WMA files.

As I mentioned before, there is lots & lots of comments by other people Online, both good and bad, for example:

http://ipodlounge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=39

B/F

to transfer cd's into MP3 format or windows media on your computer you need a program like Cdex, which is what i use.

I believe theres another one called EAC or Exact Audio copy but i havent used it.

I have a Creative Nomad. I like it and it sounds decent for Mp3, but I do have a few beefs:
1. The headphone amp isn't too great. I get much better sound with an external headphone amp.
2. It doesn't charge the batteries as it should. This problem may be confined to my unit, I don't know.
3. There is a bug in the firmware that causes it to lock up every once in a while. There is a hole in the case to access a reset switch, but what if you don't have a pin or paperclip handy? The player just stops playing. I have checked the website repeatedly but no update for the firmware is available.

Other than those points it's easy to use and the sofware that comes with it is decent.

One of the bigger downsides with iPods is their non replaceable batteries (supposedly only the repair center can do this and it costs a lot)

I'd like a player that I can plug into the cigarette lighter or some other connection to a vehicle's 12v

Anthony

I just took a two-week trip around the west coast with my iPod plugged into my cigarette lighter. There are several adaptors available at BB for the iPod, including cassette deck connectors, and FM transmitters, so you can play it through your car stereo.

The slickest one I've seen is a cradle that plugs into your cig lighter, holds the iPod, and is an FM transmitter with digital freq display! Too cool!

I absolutely love mine, and using it on road trips is the best part. Music from dawn til dark, no commercials or dead spots in the middle of nowhere, and just the music I like!

Clay

Originally posted by Fisherdude
I just took a two-week trip around the west coast with my iPod plugged into my cigarette lighter. There are several adaptors available at BB for the iPod, including cassette deck connectors, and FM transmitters, so you can play it through your car stereo.

The slickest one I've seen is a cradle that plugs into your cig lighter, holds the iPod, and is an FM transmitter with digital freq display! Too cool!

I absolutely love mine, and using it on road trips is the best part. Music from dawn til dark, no commercials or dead spots in the middle of nowhere, and just the music I like!

Clay

When I bought my player I also bought a new car cd player and I made sure I got one with a mini stereo, aux plug in on the front face plate for use with my MP3 jukebox ;)

Back
Top Bottom