What's the best receiver you ever heard?

Granted, this is very colored by nostalgia and time, but...

I heard my grandfather's Pioneer SX-1250 through I-don't-know-what (but let's assume era appropriate high end speakers) off his reel-to-reel when I was.... 9 or 10? It made quite the impression. 1994 or so. I assume it had been taken care of up to that point. Later he got in to home theater and I assume the beast was relegated to the attic.

I now own that same machine. Sadly, 23 years later and most if not all of that time spent in storage, it has seen far better days. One channel is all but dead, every switch and knob is scratchy. Cosmetically it has a gouge in the wood on top but is otherwise solid.

One day, when I have the space and means to set up a dedicated vintage system it will be the centerpiece. Until then? It awaits in slumber.

I am newer to the hobby but I have owned a few vintage receivers over the last few years.

Marantz 2230
Pioneer SX-626
Pioneer SX-780
Sansui 1000x
Sansui 7070
Sansui 9090
Yamaha CR-400
Yamaha CR-1020

My favorite is the Yamaha CR-1020!

How did you like the 626? The 780? How did the Marantz compare, and the Sansui? HA, might as well name them all, you've owned a representative cross section of the interesting receivers from all the different eras, would be very interested in reading a detailed write up on the differences you've noticed.

I could never pick one from memory. I've got a couple of dozen that I can choose from with the touch of a button and I can't even keep up with them from day to day. And they all do sound a least a little bit different. Some more than others. Some match with some speakers and some don't.
I thought by now I would have a favorite but I can see I never will.
But I'm fond of the Kenwood KT-140X because it's as good as the rest when it's not supposed to be.

The downfall of most receivers is that you can't find parts for some of the bits like the tuner when they fail. Nor is there a good service manual available for many. Add that to the fact that a lot of "vintage" receivers were just incomplete preamps, tuners and power amps crammed into a single box with a borderline power supply, and it's easy to see why the ones which still work well and can be maintained are regarded so well by stereo enthusiasts.

It wasn't a very attractive package in the visual sense, but for quality and ease of maintenance, the Heathkit AR-1500 would be my choice. I've used a couple of them for extended periods and they have been steady performers. The added bonus of pre outs and a ton of inputs allow you to integrate it into a system without worrying about outgrowing it. I sort of wish I had one for my workshop, except I'd have to relocate a bunch of Dyna gear. :rflmao:

Very tough call for me. I have, and love my sx-1250...it’s a phenomenal reciever.

I may hear some criticism, but I love my sx-828 a lot.

It may be my choice.

I would like to have an 828 or 838. Been looking for a while. It seems I'm not the only one.
I have 2...one is patiently waiting on mark the fixer for a complete restore. It’s absolutely perfect cosmetically.

I also happen to think it’s the best looking receiver ever. Humble and modest...yet super sexy.

The only way to do this is to rank what you've owned. Here's my ranking:

Sony STR-6060FW
Sansui G-9000
Sansui 771/Pioneer SX-680 (tie)

Technics SA 500
Technics SA 600
Technics SA 800

Sansui QR6500
Pioneer SX1250

The best that's a tough one.....

SA800
&
1250 pretty equal

First i have to qualify that my sampling group is small and I haven't heard most.
Also going by memory (from long ago) is also a very bad comparative tool.
So now that I've cheapened my opinion adequately.
Mac 1900, Sony 6060.

I'm gonna have to keep my eye out for one
Sony STR-7065A
Keep in mind I was headed in a different direction so my stable of 70s receivers was shrinking.The Sansui 9090db and Marantz 2230 were the next to leave.One thing to keep in mind is none of these were restored and the 2230 was plain tired.

Last edited:
First i have to qualify that my sampling group is small and I haven't heard most.
Also going by memory (from long ago) is also a very bad comparative tool.
So now that I've cheapened my opinion adequately.
Mac 1900, Sony 6060.
I can't keep 24 sorted when their right here in front of me. If everyone had them all back at once I'll bet it would often differ from memory.

Back
Top Bottom